Getting Comfortable w Carry

This is a discussion on Getting Comfortable w Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am new to the forum and relatively new to conceal carry. Have carried a full size XDM 9mm OWB and covered, as well as ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Getting Comfortable w Carry

I am new to the forum and relatively new to conceal carry. Have carried a full size XDM 9mm OWB and covered, as well as a Kimber Solo 9mm in a pocket holster. Iíve gotten used to having a gun on my person, but remain a little nervous when it comes to carrying one in the chamber. I realize having a round chambered gives me the best chance at self defense, but I fear that it also gives me the greatest chance of inadvertent trigger pull while carrying or drawing the weapon.

Any advice?? How did the rest of you get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber? The XDM has a grip safety and the Kimber has a manual safety, so thereís really no reason to worry about an accidental trigger pull while holstered. Maybe itís just a mental block?

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I'll just say...Welcome from Florida! and back out of this...I've seen this subject turn into wars here.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Carry it unchambered and cocked for a day. At the end of the day you'll see that it's still cocked. That should put to rest the main fears of carrying chambered. It helps a lot when you can actually see it first hand.

As for drawing, practice, practice, practice. Your finger should automatically go to the frame when you draw, nowhere else.

I'm going to just be a spectator this time. I'd better grab some popcorn.

For what it's worth, I have no interest in a debate about what's better and why. I'm just merely curious to know how others have learned to get comfortable with a chambered round. I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both, but looking to learn if others had the "fear" and how they overcame it. I'm hopeful everyone can respect the question and not debate why others are wrong. Thanks.

Cool

Welcome to the forum.

I have never been to a training class where it was taught not to carry a round in the chamber of a semi automatic pistol.

I have learned that if you do not pull the trigger then the weapon will not fire.

I have always carried my weapon in a quality holster that covers the trigger guard.

I practice safe gun handling techniques.

Gun safety begins and ends with me.

That's why I am comfortable carrying with one in the chamber.

I carry appendix IWB so I better be comfortable with my gun handling skills.

photo.jpg Glock 23 and High Noon Public Secret holster.
    click image to enlarge.....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

I would say spend more time at the range, practice drawing and shooting, and take some training courses. Familiarity and confidence in your weapon will in time alleviate any fears of carrying it with a round chambered.
    TSiWRX, msgt/ret and eggs like this.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

I've never carried without one in the tube...don't worry, it's a finger thing...the gun won't go off by itself.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmtimes3 View Post
    I am new to the forum and relatively new to conceal carry. Have carried a full size XDM 9mm OWB and covered, as well as a Kimber Solo 9mm in a pocket holster. Iíve gotten used to having a gun on my person, but remain a little nervous when it comes to carrying one in the chamber. I realize having a round chambered gives me the best chance at self defense, but I fear that it also gives me the greatest chance of inadvertent trigger pull while carrying or drawing the weapon.

Any advice?? How did the rest of you get comfortable carrying with one in the chamber? The XDM has a grip safety and the Kimber has a manual safety, so thereís really no reason to worry about an accidental trigger pull while holstered. Maybe itís just a mental block?
    Modern weapons are made to be carried with one in the chamber. Good holsters will have the trigger covered then it's on you to keep your finger off the boom switch until your target is in your sights.

Quote Originally Posted by Old School View Post
    Welcome to the forum.

I have never been to a training class where it was taught not to carry a round in the chamber of a semi automatic pistol.
    I have learned that if you do not pull the trigger then the weapon will not fire.
    I have always carried my weapon in a quality holster that covers the trigger guard.
    I practice safe gun handling techniques.
    Gun safety begins and ends with me.
    That's why I am comfortable carrying with one in the chamber.
    I think Old School hit all the important points there.

OS[/QUOTE]
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I'm just merely curious to know how others have learned to get comfortable with a chambered round. I'm well aware of the advantages and disadvantages of both, but looking to learn if others had the "fear" and how they overcame it. I'm hopeful everyone can respect the question and not debate why others are wrong. Thanks.
    My first handgun was a Glock 27. I didn't carry one in the chamber for the first week. When I realized that the gun wouldn't go off by itself, I simply practiced drawing my gun over and over until proper trigger discipline became instinctual. Draw one hundred times, draw one thousand times until proper draw becomes instinctual for you. As for holstering, you should NEVER be in a rush holstering your gun. Simply take your time and pay attention to what you are doing.

You've probably read the chambered vs. unchambered threads, but think very careful about the situations you may find yourself in when you may need your firearm.
    - On your back with an attacker on top of you.
    - You need a free hand to fend off an attack.
    - One of your hands/arms is severely injured.
    - An improper rack results in a jam or misfeed.

Senior Moderator
    The XDM has a grip safety and the Kimber has a manual safety, so there’s really no reason to worry about an accidental trigger pull while holstered.
    You've said the magic words!!!

As long as it's in the holster there is no need to worry. Provided, of course, this is a quality holster we are talking about.
    When you have a quality holster that is fit for your gun and secures it on body there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to do gymnastics and not have to worry about a discharge. What kind of holster do you use?

The key here is to remember and train and reinforce that the gun only comes out of the holster when you have to use it or maintain it. If you follow those principles you should not have a problem.

Good practices, and time.

If you're not comfortable with your handling skills I don't want to be around if you've got one in the chamber as you're not trusting yourself, nervous and have one in the chamber, it's a recipe for a ND. Take the time to develop the good skills and get comfortable with those skills and the idea of having one in the chamber and you'll soon have a track record of not having a NC (negligent click) that you can look at when you decide to chamber one.

From my readings here it's not uncommon to see new folks carry for a month or two before they've gotten comfortable with the thought of it.

And if you find yourself needing to unload for Legislated Victim Zones mark the removed bullet limit it to two re-chamberings before taking it to the range and firing it, as setback can cause major problems, effecting some calibers more than others.
    eggs likes this.

Glock Certified Armorer

I too was a little nervous carrying a loaded handgun, at first. I find it normal, it is a weapon isn't it?
    Mind you, I carry a SAO hammer actuated .25 automatic.
    For the first few weeks I carried it with the hammer cocked, safety on, without a chambered round (just to prove to myself that the hammer wouldn't drop with everyday movement).
    Today I am absolutely confident in the reliability of my handgun to be carried in Condition 1. Just take it slow and be safe.

Both of your guns, in a quality holster, are designed to be carried with one in the pipe. As long as you do your part, it will never go BANG without you telling it to go BANG. Practice your draw and reholster until it becomes second nature.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links