Pierce grip extension pros & cons

This is a discussion on Pierce grip extension pros & cons within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So my edc is a gen 4 glock 27. Its mag cap is 9 or 10 if you carry one in the chamber. Obviously i ...

Thread: Pierce grip extension pros & cons

Pierce grip extension pros & cons

So my edc is a gen 4 glock 27. Its mag cap is 9 or 10 if you carry one in the chamber. Obviously i cc it everywhere. I picked up a pierce grip extension for it when i bought it and thats the mag i carry with. I decided to use it because i felt i could draw better with it. The only downside is that it adds length to the grip so when i wear my regular tshirts its more noticable. Ive recently started debating on whether i should just carry with the regular mags so it will conceal better. Im not worried aboutthe accuracy when shooting. Just drawing or having it stick out

2. Remove Ads

The Pierce grip on my G27 does not stick out enough to affect how I carry. There is a little gap between the Pierce Grip and the frame handle where the magazine inserts and it will pinch my finger when I shoot, but only sometimes. It gives me a better grip so I wouldn't consider removing it.

I have a g27 and bought 1 +2 extension and came to the conclusion that I bought the g27 because it was small and concealable, the extended mag defeats that. If you want more capacity get a g23 or do as I do, I carry the 9 round mag in the gun and a g22 mag as a spare

I wouldn't worry about the extra round or two...carry an extra mag or two...the easier to conceal, the better.OMO

Keep in mind, that if you add an extra couple of rounds you should be changing the mag springs, right?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I own a g23 and use to carry it but prefer my g27. I dont want to get a +2 grip extension. I just carry an extra mag. Im trying out the flush mag today to see how i like it.

I have the Pearce extensions for my XDSC9. The ones I have do not add any additional rounds to the magazine capacity. I experimented using the flush mag, full size extended mag, and a flush mag w/ Pearce installed. I am more accurate with the Pearce extension installed. I now have them on all of my 13 rd mags.

They add very little in the way of length to the grip but give me a better purchase on the gun. For me they are no more difficult to conceal than the flush mag. YMMV

I find the +2 extensions are all good. You should very easily be able to conceal a 27 (or a 26) with them. I (and many many) carry a 23, which is about the same height as a 27 with extensions.

I carry a xd40sc with pinky extension (no add'l rounds). I shoot it just as well with them or without them and I haven't noticed it being any more difficult to conceal. I just think it feels better in hand. More of a personal preference thing based on feel for me.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I like the feel with the grip extenders on my 26, but I can't say it makes any difference in how I shoot it.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Quote Originally Posted by Yankeejib View Post
    I find the +2 extensions are all good. You should very easily be able to conceal a 27 (or a 26) with them. I (and many many) carry a 23, which is about the same height as a 27 with extensions.

What kind of coating is that on your Glock? It looks really cool.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

The pierce +0 offers more grip, but not nearly at much as the +2, I find it to be quite ideal
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I was concerned about the concealment issues, too - but luckily for me, based on my particular body-type, my clothing, and my holster/carry-position, I did not have any such issues.

I do like it for what it helps with, but in reading your post, Alude904, I agree with the others: since it's presenting an issue, I'd ditch it and not worry about the extra rounds, and instead carry a (full-size) spare mag (or two), which has the double advantage in offering you more freedom when working malfunctions.

Certainly, I would not say that your perceived draw-stroke disadvantages should not be paid attention. While I am of the opinion that what's going to make your carry easier/more comfortable is going to make you carry it more frequently/regularly, and that, in the real world, that's half the battle won, right then and there: instead of having left the firearm at-home or having had to go with an alternate which may not provide as much firepower or for which you may not have the same level of proficiency/confidence. But I think it's important that we recognize the limitations, and work to overcome them or compensate for them. For me, for example, I love my PureKustom Black Ops Pro holster, but to get a "full combat grip" on the pistol at the draw, I have to use the knuckle of my thumb to force the sweat-shield out of the way a little. Sure, I could have trimmed the shield back a little bit, but I instead chose to drill into my brain, with countless hours of practice and reps, the necessary draw motion, and have elicited three bleeding blisters that have finally turned into a protective callous there.

Do what you need to do so that you will carry - and as you've done already, recognize the potential pitfalls and work around them.

Try looking at these.

G A P H O M E
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

VIP Member
    I've never been a fan of extensions for reasons the OP stated. I find that my little finger curls under the G26 and shoots just as accurate as the G19. If I want high capacity, I just choose a bigger gun or carry G19 mags with it.

I use the +1 extensions on a Glock 36 because I have big hands. Improved my accuracy and control. See no problems with CC so I think it can be the either the weapon, person, or combo. I'm 6'4"-230 and carry at 4 o'clock.Needed the extension so why not add one round. Now have 8 in my EDC and 7 in the spare mag.

Links