Unreinforced Onehanded Reholstering

This is a discussion on Unreinforced Onehanded Reholstering within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Unreinforced Mouth IWB Holsters: Does anyone here ACTUALLY have a problem with one handed reholstering with an unreinforced IWB holster or is this just a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Unreinforced Onehanded Reholstering

Unreinforced Onehanded Reholstering

Unreinforced Mouth IWB Holsters:

Does anyone here ACTUALLY have a problem with one handed reholstering with an unreinforced IWB holster or is this just a claim made by the industry and internet forum hearsay?

thank you

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yes it can create problems.
    For years the "style" was the soft suede leather type holster which yes were very comfortable to wear but once the firearm was removed the mouth of the holster collapsed and reholstering could/would become an unsafe wrestling match.
    Now if your weapon of choice was a revolver or something with a safety or hammer you could ussually manage to win the battle to reholster. With striker fired type weapons and no safety you probably would end up with an extra hole.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Administrator
    I'm not sure how important the ability to easily re-holster the firearm is for a "daily carry" provided that the person lives in a State where the firearm can stay holstered all day.

It WOULD be a bit of a frustrating PITA for repetitious practicing the draw & presentation.

If I had a choice though I'd opt for a holster with a reinforced mouth.

Of course if I really had my preference I'd simply carry OWB and be much happier & more comfortable.

I think many people feel the need to over conceal.

If you are able to dress casually and wear an oversize, untucked, T-Shirt then OWB directly behind the strong side hip is the way to go for maximum carry comfort.
    limatunes likes this.

I think my problem has as much to do with a soft collapsable ME that tends to run over the edge of my holster a bit.
    And cause undo pressure against my waistband/belt area. (jus sayin')
    Nathanimal likes this.
    Be nice to people--they outnumber you 6.5 billion to 1

I had a Galco IWB about 15 years ago that wasn't reinforced...and was taking a class that emphasized one-handed re-holstering...since then, all of my leather IWB holsters have been reinforced.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I wouldn't purchase a holster that wasn't reinforced for IWB. OWB, no problem, but the gun belt squeezing an IWB closed is a major issue for me both training on the range and if I was forced to discharge a firearm in SD and wanted to holster before LE arrived and saw me as an active shooter. The need to holster one handed is more important that many realize, and if you have ever owned a suede IWB rig you know that even with two hands it isn't easy.
    Old School likes this.

If you plan on taking the gun out and reholstering stay away from non reinforced mouth holsters. The only safe way I know to reholster is to remove the holster, put the gun in it, and then put it back in your pants. If you can resist the urge to remove and reholster go ahead and use one.

The only holster I currently use without a reinforced mouth is my pocket holster. And I would never reholster without taking it out of my pocket.
    Question Everything!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I'm not sure how important the ability to easily re-holster the firearm is for a "daily carry" provided that the person lives in a State where the firearm can stay holstered all day.

It WOULD be a bit of a frustrating PITA for repetitious practicing the draw & presentation.

If I had a choice though I'd opt for a holster with a reinforced mouth.

Of course if I really had my preference I'd simply carry OWB and be much happier & more comfortable.

I think many people feel the need to over conceal.

If you are able to dress casually and wear an oversize, untucked, T-Shirt then OWB directly behind the strong side hip is the way to go for maximum carry comfort.
    ^ That, and.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deerbnb View Post
    I think my problem has as much to do with a soft collapsable ME that tends to run over the edge of my holster a bit.
    And cause undo pressure against my waistband/belt area. (jus sayin')
    ^ that.

Both +1.

Also, even for holsters with "reinforced mouths" or, for example, a leather-backing/kydex outer hardshell "hybrid," there's also the concern that, for those of us who are heavier, our body protrusions may well close the sweat-guard "flap" down over the otherwise open mouth of the holster.

Additionally, with perhaps the exception of a full hardshell polymer, all holster are more or less "wear items." Certainly, I can see something that's high-quality (like Rocky's PureKustom creations, for example, which do not have a "reinforced" mouth, but are just so hard to begin with: that name "Cowdex" is no joke) lasting many more years than something that's less so, but eventually, it's going to wear out.

I honestly don't anticipate that if I had to skin my gun and shoot someone in self-defense, that I'll be holstering it and going about my merry way. Maybe I'll need to do so, to usher my family or other innocents to safety - but that's a maybe, and it isn't something that will make me wear a holster that's not comfortable. Certainly, I try to choose my concealed-carry gear so that I don't have to worry about the mouth of the holster closing, but putting away the gun is not my biggest priority, as a legally armed citizen, for anything but range/class-work.
    BrigadeGunLeather likes this.

As some have said, if I had to draw my pistol do defend myself, I doubt I will be in a hurry to reholster it.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    As some have said, if I had to draw my pistol do defend myself, I doubt I will be in a hurry to reholster it.
    I'm sorry, but you need to reevaluate this, LE is going to be in a big hurry to get to you and the scene of an active shooter. I for one don't want to be standing there holding a firearm when they show up. There are going to be many, many reasons to put your weapon away and quickly after the treat is over.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    I'm sorry, but you need to reevaluate this, LE is going to be in a big hurry to get to you and the scene of an active shooter. I for one don't want to be standing there holding a firearm when they show up. There are going to be many, many reasons to put your weapon away and quickly after the treat is over.
    Maybe you should re-evaluate your assumption that I am in an urban setting or that I have only one threat to deal with. And even if the LEO's did show up guns drawn I am likely going to put my weapon on the ground when they show up. But if my threat is only disabled but not completely out I will keep my gun on him till LEO arrive. Again, I stand by my statement, I don't see me reholstering rapidly after a fight.

Sponsor
    Originally Posted by matthew03

Maybe you should re-evaluate your assumption that I am in an urban setting or that I have only one threat to deal with. And even if the LEO's did show up guns drawn I am likely going to put my weapon on the ground when they show up. But if my threat is only disabled but not completely out I will keep my gun on him till LEO arrive. Again, I stand by my statement, I don't see me reholstering rapidly after a fight.

Your both right.... depending on the cops that arrive, the situation of people/mob around you after a shooting, still alive and wounded and still a threat bad guy.
    You may want to re-holster quickly to attempt CPR and help ensure you won't get sued, that always helps. Or you may need to keep the weopon out since there may be folks who didn't see it your way.

After 16 years of holster making and carrying and talking with literally thousands on the phone I can tell you that a reinforced mouth on a holster is needed for one handed re-holstering, obviously. That being said, a good enough reason is your own training, muscle memory of un-holstering and re-holstering the weapon, unloaded in your home. I live out in the country and all I practice is shooting steel at 10 yds away. I draw, fire three rounds, re-holster and repeat for 50-80 rounds once a week. I have spoken to about 7 cops, customers of mine that were involved in shootings and each had the same thing in common, they didn't remember seeing their sights or know how many rounds were fired until they found the shells during the investigation of shooting. Each one of them fired two or three rounds just like they practiced. So re-holstering one handed for sure helps with training.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it is better to be able to re-holster one handed than not. Besides re-enforced leather gun holsters do last longer. Take a look at the link and scroll down to the 25lb weight resting on the holster mouth.
    TSiWRX likes this.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

Personally, I like to have the option to re-holster one-handed quickly. I'd hate to need to and not be able to.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

OK, I didn't assume you were in an urban setting or that you only had one threat to deal with, odd that you would think that as I certainly didn't state either. What I did state was about re-holstering post threat, that insinuates you are no longer in danger, not that you have a wounded and potentially still active threat to cover. I surely wouldn't place my weapon on the ground, (unless LE were present and instructing me to do so), disarming myself and allowing a bystander or criminal associate of the person shot to pick up my weapon. You are going to be very busy when LE arrives, as will LE and your gun my walk off while they are concentrating on identifying you and what occurred. I'll holster my weapon (one handed) after threat is over, thereby still maintaining my ability to defend myself and also concealing my weapon so that I am not considered an active shooter before I am identified as a GG by LE. LE can remove my gun from it's holster insuring they are in control of the weapon and not someone who picks it up off of the street.

Reholstering a weapon is a very dangerous thing. It's when most people turn off their mental safeties. It's when the DEA agent shot himself in the foot. Other people have done similar things whilst reholstering - so take great care when doing so.
    As for reholstering after shooting someone? I don't think it's a great idea, if you're sticking around waiting for the cops to show. Some stories of the West Point cadet being shot by Nevada cops indicate that he was given conflicting orders by responding officers, and it was suggested that he was complying with one cop's orders to remove the gun himself when another cop said not to touch it.
    Depending on the circumstances, I might keep the gun in my hand until the police arrived, then it goes on the ground and I stand up and step on it. If I didn't do so, I would put the gun on the ground and step on it, and point to it when the police asked for my weapon. It just seems like the best way to not be shot by the cops, IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links