Personal Security Systems Kydex Holster Review:

This is a discussion on Personal Security Systems Kydex Holster Review: within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I started researching OWB Kydex Pancake Holsters due to my growing waistline and the need to find a comfortable alternative to my standard leather IWB ...

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar

I started researching OWB Kydex Pancake Holsters due to my growing waistline and the need to find a comfortable alternative to my standard leather IWB rigs for my carry pistols. I decided on using my Sig P229 SCT as the testbed due to it being thicker than my other, but equally favorite carry gun, my Colt Combat Elite 1911.

The Colt isn't as crowded inside my waistband due to it's slimmer profile. The Sig on the other hand is damn near painful now thanks to the last 10 lbs. I've contracted, which also leaves the top button on my A&F Cargo Shorts cleverly hidden and unbuttoned under my Wilderness Frequent Flyer's Belt. Something I won't be able to pull off when "big boy pants season" rolls back around.

Of course Raven Concealment is probably the most popular holster of the Kydex Pancake style, but there is a 16-18 week wait on one of their carriers at a cost of $75. Far too long for this impatient buyer to wait. I ended up receiving the PSS Holster just inside of the stated 70 day timeframe. Since ordering, PSS has moved into a larger shop and wait time has dropped to 60 days.

I found many manufacturers producing Kydex rigs of this same type; not at all sure who did the original, but many are using this cut. I chose PSS due to their reputation, quick delivery (subjective, but fast considering it is a custom holster and in demand), and their price $60.

I ordered a 20 degree cant, full shield (sweat guard), holster with standard OWB belt loops, (PSS offers more belt attachments than the other companies I examined). After carrying it for a couple of days I decided to increase the cant by reversing the rear belt loop so that the holster carries leaning forward slightly more. Retention is positive and my Sig seats in the holster with an audible "click/pop." The holster is closely molded to the sexy lines of the Sig handgun and the Kydex body and belt loops are attached with black stainless hardware.

I've found that on my body all holsters have a slightly different sweet spot; a place where they ride and conceal more naturally. The PSS Holster is different in that I like to wear it closer to 3:15, most IWB rigs of the Milt Sparks, Summer Cruiser/High Noon, Down Under type I wear around 4:30, my new Bullard OWB Bodyguard for my Colt I wear at 5, and my Cross Breed ST around 4.

I like this holster design and will be purchasing from Personal Security Systems Holsters again.
    DSC00780.jpg
    DSC00781.jpg

Nice review. Thanks for posting. Those are some kinda cool looking pistol grips.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Thanks Haystacker, the grips are Hogue G-Mascus OD and Black, chain link pattern. I really like adding Hogue G-10s to Sig Handguns they are slightly thinner than the standard grip and increase the ergonomics of the Sig.

Links