What works for Women - Page 2

What works for Women

This is a discussion on What works for Women within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by JimmyC George...keep us informed about your innovation. Hmmm, an item popular in the 70s...a stash bag?! If that's what it was called ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What works for Women

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyC
    George...keep us informed about your innovation. Hmmm, an item popular in the 70s...a stash bag?!
    If that's what it was called you are probably right. For the life of me I could not remember the term. I just know that it was usually made of leather and was about 4" long, 2.5 to 3" tall and about an inch thick it had a loop on each end with a small maybe 3/4" wide metallic serpentine type belt that went around the waist connected to one loop and a clip on the other end that connected to the other loop. There was no closure on the bag just a flap that basically fell down on the front. When the young lady (I use young because that was the only kind I noticed in the 70s) wanted whatever was in it she simply lifted the flap reached in and pulled it out.

My idea is to make one that will hold a BUG size gun. Kel-Tec P3AT or P32, NAA, Beretta Tomcat, S&W Airweight. The belt could be of some metallic appearing plastic or of leather, but would have a cable inside to prevent cutting. The newer materials available today could make access a lot easier. It would really be a crossdraw belt and holster. If our ladies started wearing them it would likely catch on and soon even if you knew some women were wearing holsters you would not be able to tell which ones.

Anyway we are going to look into it. If anyone else wants to build a prototype and test it feel free to do so. I am very interested in my wife having a on body weapon, so I don't care who make the solution as long as it works.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    You could conceal a full-size 1911 on your ankle under these babies:

Yeah, and a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, and a reloading press....

Kidding aside

I found this thread after entering <<women's holster>> in the search. Guys, this is too serious a situation to be clowning around! My wife has her CCW but just doesn't exercise her carry rights because she hasn't come up with a good way to tote the weapon around!

The pocket-book/purse is a weak if not out-right stupid idea for reasons already mentioned, much less too easily out of hand/reach or too easily in reach of the wrong person who is anyone other than its rightful owner.

This would be a great topic for Concealed Carry mag to research (if it hasn't already -- I need to search the archives).

This wife of mine has presently settled on the S&W Chief's special with Secret Service style Eagle grips. I can carry it in my front pocket (511) with nary a print (but I can't since that pocket already has my Kimber CDP Ultra II in residence during the summer). But she hasn't a clue how to carry this puppy concealed. Anywhere off body is not acceptable. Even a "fanny pack" is unacceptable.

Help!

I may be able to help, but I need more information. For instance, where she wants to conceal the weapon, you already mentioned what weapon. But if you gave me more info, I could come up with something or we may already have something. I would suggest a drop & offset, but that is really not the best concealment. Help me a bit and I may be able to help you.
    Last edited by Blade-Tech PM; September 9th, 2006 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling

5'8", 128#, hour-glass, left-handed, athletic, over 50, politically conservative and similarly dressed, and wears loose fitting tops untucked mostly. She hasn't decided where to wear the gun, but knows ankle is not her desired location. That's a start of information, Blade. Let's see where this goes!

The most knowledgeable person about woman and guns is a woman named "PAX" at www.corneredcat.com . She can answer all of your concerns.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by xercise2nd View Post
    5'8", 128#, hour-glass, left-handed, athletic, over 50, politically conservative and similarly dressed, and wears loose fitting tops untucked mostly. She hasn't decided where to wear the gun, but knows ankle is not her desired location. That's a start of information, Blade. Let's see where this goes!

Another question for you. Does she wear a belt usually or not? I can think of a couple of options right now, and those would be a D/OS holster or a paddle. Both seem to be popular among women who order from us and with the weapon she is carrying, it would conceal pretty well. I will take a look on Monday to see what is going to give best concealment and have the most confort.
    Cory Chapin
    Production Manager
    Blade-Tech Ind.

pax
    Cory ~

I have happily carried my Glock 26 in a Blade-Tech UCH for several years. The keys to success for me have been:

1) a tuckable holster
    2) a short-barrelled firearm
    3) appendix carry (eg carrying the gun between belly button & hip, rather than trying to carry it on or behind the hip).

I have not had to alter my clothing choices significantly, but then I am a middle-aged housewife, not a 20-something fashion plate.

I'm a little unhappy that the UCH has been redesigned, because I'm just not sure that the new design will work as well for me -- and (darnit) my 6-year-old UCH was due for replacement sometime soon!

My UCH used to have a custom-length shank which allowed the gun to ride with its grips more buried in my belt. Unfortunately, my custom shank broke; I replaced it with the standard one which I had on hand. And now I can never replace it with either .. dang dang dang...

If I were designing a holster for women, I would start with the old UCH. Then I would drop it a little, give it a muzzle forward cant (adjustable cant would be nice), pad the back (sheepskin lining against skin), and disguise the ugly plastic belt loop by covering it with a piece of belt-matching leather (preferably stamp a pretty design into the leather).

Then I'd create a tuckable mag pouch to match. Similar comfort & design features.

That's what I'd do.

Oh, re muzzle forward cant. Nearly every woman I know who uses an IWB holster carries it in the appendix position. Muzzle-forward increases appendix carry comfort immeasurably.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

womens holsters

PAX,

I believe the blade tech guy posts on this forum from what the other guys have said so maybe he can address your concerns.

Have you tried the other blade tech IWB holster it is available with a forward cant if you order the crossdraw version.

http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Wai...ED-pr-820.html

but it still has those ugly plastic belt loops
    I'm a Marine and I have a rifle

pax
    spanky ~

That one's not an option because my holster has to be tuckable. If it isn't tuckable, probably 3/4s of my normal clothing choices go right out the window.

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

women's holsters

pax~

I'm sure one of the leather artists here can make you something that will work well for your situation.

How about is leather artists can you make a tuckable IWB muzzle forward holster for glock 26 ?
    I'm a Marine and I have a rifle

Frederick's of Hollywood lacy thigh garter holster!

(They really don't make these but my wife thought it was a cool idea... Maybe somebody makes these?)

But seriously, folks, if she's wearing a skirt, this seems very practical, if it's a thin gun like a Kahr MK9.
    Last edited by sailormnop; September 9th, 2006 at 05:58 PM.
    Check out the Free State Project

How does the economy really work? Mises Institute

Laissez Faire Books offers an extensive collection of books on liberty, free markets, philosophy, economics, politics and history.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    There are a lot of belt rigs made by folks for ladies. Rosen, Kramer, Sparks just to name a few. As most of you know I like the t-shirt rigs for dress carry and they seem to work well for ladies as well. However skin tight shirts dont work, LOL, for obvious reasons. The below picture is of my partner and I taken just a few days ago. Both of us are carrying our issued Sig P-229's plus extra mags, knives, and cuffs. I still think hers covers better than I do, because I can spot just a lil poky out on my shirt but then again I had just pulled my shirt tight for the picture. We both wear a UC Comfort holster. She is preparing to order a racer back UC Comfort made specifically for ladies (looks kinda like a sports bra on steriods).

Just an option.

Steve
    Attached Images
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

It does seem like that many people still like the old style UCH, the problem we have had with them is the fact that the kydex S-hooks do break after being used for so long. The newer style is something we developed with the help of a federal agency that had a specific need. It does seem like many, many people love the newer style. I do see some short comings with the new style, of which I have been comtemplating what we can do (especially with the shorter guns). I tell you what, if you send your holster in with an explanation of what you need for replacement. We will take care of that for you. Just be sure to include in your note that you talked to Cory on the Sig Forum and I directed you to send it in for replacement. And really that goes for anyone else as well. We may very well have to come up with a way to incorporate the old design and new design together and that may produce an even better UCH. Your guys' (and gals') input has been very valuable.
    Cory Chapin
    Production Manager
    Blade-Tech Ind.

Are You Kidding Me?

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    You could conceal a full-size 1911 on your ankle under these babies:
    She could have a 1911 in each hand and you probably would't see them!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links