What works for Women

This is a discussion on What works for Women within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wondering what type of holsters women find most comfortable wearing? For the guys out there, what is your wife/ girlfriend carry method? I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What works for Women

What works for Women

I am wondering what type of holsters women find most comfortable wearing? For the guys out there, what is your wife/ girlfriend carry method?

I am trying to get my girlfriend to start carrying, but I am looking for an appropriate carry method. I don't like the idea of purse carry because I feel it would be to slow to accesses her firearm. Also what does a mugger want.... the purse...so he takes the purse and she is left defenseless (just my opinion).

Mainly I am looking for something that she would want to wear...that is comfortable. She is 5' 4" and around 120 pounds and has been looking at the Glock 26.

I have certain opinions about holsters but when it comes to women I feel more incompetent and thought I would go to the source to find out some good info.

Thanks Go Glock

2. Remove Ads

FIST, Inc. makes some nice looking OWB holsters designed for women. My wife usually wears an untucked shirt of some sort, so I'm hoping she might be interested.

http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/lady/Default.htm

Of course, she still needs to get her CCW app in...

Her father and I are slowly wearing her down :) It's not that she doesn't want to carry, she knows she should. She just needs to get over to the probate court and do it.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...there is no rule for what works for women.

Its just not that simple. The entire basis I run my gun leather business on is that no two people are the same and may require different tweaks to gun leather to have it work the best for them.

The rule, if there is one, is women have to take the "no rules" rule a couple of steps further. Their body types vary more and their gun leather has to adapt to that. Heres a great link for someone in your shoes........its a good read.

http://www.womensholsters.com/choosing.html

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

I wouldn't mind looking around a gun shop while the old lady try's on 100 holsters (even if she wasn't looking for one) rather than sitting in a shoe store while she was trying on 100 pairs of shoes. I can definitely see the benefit in a large line of ladies holsters.

A lot of it depends on how they dress as well. What would be super easy to conceal on yourself, might print like a neon light on a lady. My lady uses a smartcarry at the moment. She likes it, but even it prints her 642 in some of her summer clothes. I think we're just going to have to find her a smaller handgun to carry during the summer. We both don't care for purse carry and the NAA mini that she will carry everywhere is better than the 642 at home.

Assistant Administrator
    Main problem I encounter is wife does not ever wear (or want to wear) a belt - and so options very limited. Thus far it has been purse carry which I do not like much at all.

Pocket carry is also out most times due to jeans being too tight/small pockets - or wearing skirt. I am working on a solution but it's not easy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Main problem I encounter is wife does not ever wear (or want to wear) a belt - and so options very limited. Thus far it has been purse carry which I do not like much at all.

Pocket carry is also out most times due to jeans being too tight/small pockets - or wearing skirt. I am working on a solution but it's not easy.

I don't know if ankle carry is out of the question or not for you, but mine likes that when the weather isn't morbidly hot (i.e. she's wearing pants). It's not the best option, but it's better than a purse imo.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    The wife and daughter both carry , now understand they are both slender little gals , and the wife at least is " not tall " . Both carry iwb/sob with reverse ( or calvery style ) draw . The other option they use is a bellyband holster worn crossdraw . Hope that helps .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry

Ditto on the belt, my wife almost never wears one, however the jeans/whatever are usually tight enought and the waist still sits over the hip well enough that a clip holster works ok, she uses a Desantis stealth for her Bersa .380 and Kimber Ultra. She has tried my Galco IWB both Royal Guard, Summer Comfort and and NSA II and liked none, the NSA II may have worked better if it was the 3" version and not the 4 1/4" version I use for my Commander length slides.

The main problem with womens carry (IMHO) is that thier clothing is a little less concealable for anything let alone a firearm, in hot weather (it was 105 with heat index yesterday) getting her to wear an over garmet (shirt, sweater, jacket) is next to impossible. soooooo OWB is not an option for her. Not to mention it's hard to hide a decent sized pistol on a 105 lbs 5'4" woman to begin with.

VIP Member
    If anyone ever comes up with a good answer I want to invest in the company because they will make a bundle. I dislike intensely of the body carry, but for most women that is one of the very few alternatives. We have a member here whose wife is working on a new design for purse carry that will make access easier and quicker. That's good, but it is still of the body. I have an idea based on a popular accessory from the 70s. As soon as I can get my wife to stop long enough to help me with it I will be working on a prototype. This particular item is still not a solution because it is designed for BUG sized guns. But if I can get it so she has at least a BUG on her at all times I will feel a lot better.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

I'll kick in on that investment opportunity. Say...my wife says she's an artist. I wonder how she'd be as a leather designer? Hmmmmm....

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg
    I have an idea based on a popular accessory from the 70s.
    You could conceal a full-size 1911 on your ankle under these babies:

George...keep us informed about your innovation. Hmmm, an item popular in the 70s...a stash bag?!

As for me, wife doesn't wear belts so that's a limitation. So far, she's been relatively happy with a Coronado concealment purse. But she has voiced concerns about off-body carry, and we are both looking for an alternative.

Unfortunately, lately it turns out that she depends on me carrying for our defense. We know it's wise that we are both armed, but admittedly have procrastinated at coming up with a better solution than the purse.

By the way, I carry a Glock 26, but she is much happier with a revolver, specifically the S&W 642. We had a spring kit and a bit of polishing done to get the pull down below 10 lbs, so it's much more user friendly, and it cost only $43 (parts & $35 labor). That light 642 has found it's way into my pocket (Mika Pocket Holster) a number of times and I really like it.

The IWB holster with a clip rather than belt loops may be a solution to entertain; thanks for sharing that idea, jdlv4 0.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Take her to a gun show.
    Find a woman that sells gun leather.
    Introduce them to each other.
    Now, go and take a walk.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg
    You could conceal a full-size 1911 on your ankle under these babies:

Yep. Only the ankle-men would even get close to looking that direction!

Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links