Need a tuckable holster....

This is a discussion on Need a tuckable holster.... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and can't decide where to start. 95% of the time I can use an untucked shirt or cover garment, but lately I've been finding I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Need a tuckable holster....

Need a tuckable holster....

...and can't decide where to start.

95% of the time I can use an untucked shirt or cover garment, but lately I've been finding I need something tuckable that's not going to show when it's over 100 degrees and a cover garment would look, very suspicious. I haven't found an LGS with an expansive holster selection so it's all been online ordering, somewhat of a blind test aside from reviews I've found around here. Leaders of the pack in tuckable IWB seem to be CBST(d?) and the MTAC (Well I suppose I should say Comp-tac in varying nuances of the same platform), both would be by far my most expensive holsters if I went that route, I've also found the DeSantis Intruder and Glaco KingTuk. I'm aware and operating with the mentality that IWB is concealed, and concealed means concealed, however I'm not expecting anything IWB to fall under "deep concealment" duty. I get that finding the right holster can be a process, that's longer for some than it is for others.

I currently use a SERPA and DeSantis Companion for OWB and IWB, respectively, I'm really happy with the SERPA the Companion is quite comfortable yet collapses much easier than I'm happy with (it makes re-holstering two handed job, I don't plan on speed reholstering but if SHTF I'm probably not going to want to have to focus all my attention to putting it back). I carry a G27, and my pockets are pretty much all spoken for already; the 27 sits at about 3:00 in the Serpa and 3:30 in the companion.

I found the DeSantis Intruder (that I almost impulse bought but paused to ask here first) for about half the cost of the CBST and it's in stock and can ship tomorrow if I want it to, which brings us to the purpose of this thread, I've found through reviews of this holster to be sparse; the good being my "gun fit" the bad being "I don't like it" so does anyone have thoughts on it either way? I wanted to throw it out there for the collective wisdom of the group to see if I could get some detailed opinions before I placed an order. Is wearing it at 3:30 realistic? 4:00? Can I expect it to hold up for a while? Does it put the weight more on the belt or the pants? Am I going to get the gun rubbing into my skin or will it be well padded from the slide and grip? I'm assuming a tucked shirt will hold well, if I decide I like it more than the Companion, does a similar untucked shirt ride up over the gun easily leaving me exposed?

My current thought process is I'm getting tired of $50+ shipping every few weeks (that comes out of the ammo budget) for new holster so this plus a belly band or smart carry and my basics would be covered, then I could stop for a few months and be able to better nitpick the differences of the "top tier" or "custom" holsters having experienced a bit of variety and developed my own taste/preference, and at that point I don't feel like I'm putting down $85+ on a blind gamble, and I'm not ending up disappointed because I'll know what I'll be looking for, and I can have the need already met so a 6 week lead time won't bother me.

Thoughts? Advice? Words of wisdom from those that have walked down this path before?

Glock Certified Armorer

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    For the last three years I've worn a CBST at the 4:00 position all day, every day. Extremely comfortable, one durability issue that was quickly solved (at no charge), and the kydex portion stays open when the holster is empty making one-handed reholstering pretty effortless.

As for its ability to conceal... I'm tall and thin (I'm a runner) and there's just no way to make a G30 invisible on my waist in the 4:00 spot, but it does a good job nevertheless.

Unfortunately, I can't compare it to any others because 1.) The CBST is the only one I tried, and 2.) I'm too happy with it to bother spending money on a different brand.

Hope that helps.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Check out Tucker Gunleather's "Answer". They are a site sponsor and Rob is great to work with..

Garrett Industries Silent Thunder works well for me, Crossbreed was a pain in the butt - never did care for the thing after reading all the hype I was greatly disappointed, just way too much extra material that I found unnecessary.

Comp-Tac. 5 years no problems.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Because of my arthritis, I carry appendix. That being said, I just got a holster from theisholsters.com that I'm thrilled with. It's IWB, designed for 3:00-4:00 position, tuckable and adjustable. The price is excellent ($65 USD) and it allows one-handed re-holstering. They make one for the G27. Check it out.

On another note, how do you like the G27 for carry? I considered it, but the lack of a de-cocker kind of puts me off. I'm afraid that in an emergency situation, with the adrenaline pumping, the potential for an accidental discharge is a bit higher than I'm real comfortable with. I like the heavier trigger pull of a DA on that first shot. I've shot the 27 before, and found it to be an excellent gun and extremely accurate.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    Because of my arthritis, I carry appendix. That being said, I just got a holster from theisholsters.com that I'm thrilled with. It's IWB, designed for 3:00-4:00 position, tuckable and adjustable. The price is excellent ($65 USD) and it allows one-handed re-holstering. They make one for the G27. Check it out.

On another note, how do you like the G27 for carry? I considered it, but the lack of a de-cocker kind of puts me off. I'm afraid that in an emergency situation, with the adrenaline pumping, the potential for an accidental discharge is a bit higher than I'm real comfortable with. I like the heavier trigger pull of a DA on that first shot. I've shot the 27 before, and found it to be an excellent gun and extremely accurate.
    You use one of those crossbread style holsters at 1 o'clock? Where do the clips end up? I can see have your EDC pointing at your junk, you would be concearned about a ND.
    • We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

My most frequently carried primary gun is a Kimber Aegis Ultra, converted to 9x23. While I wear a sport coat or suit much of the year, this summer has been brutal, and I find myself carrying tucked a lot. K&D holsters used to make a tuckable model (they no longer make it) that I like a lot, and I've used it frequently, but I recently decided to see what all the buzz was about with respect to the Crossbreed and Comp-Tac offerings. After reading lots of posts on several fora, and examining the details of the SuperTuck and the different C-T models, I decided on the SuperTuck. They recently had a sale on models with a black backing, so I went that route, and I've been carrying it a lot lately. I now understand all the enthusiasm. I really like my CBST. I've been using it with the original, steel clips, but I got a set of the "V-clips," with velcro, and I'll shortly be switching to them, when I get around to applying the velcro loop material to a couple of belts. I don't like the J-clips, as they place all the weight on the pants waistband. Actually, I like Comp-Tac's C-clips the best, and they can be put on the SuperTuck, so I may get some of them, even though they are ridiculously overpriced.

FWIW, I'm 5'7" and about 155 lbs., with broad shoulders and a narrow waist. As long as I'm wearing a dark or patterned shirt that has enough material around the waist to blouse a little, concealment is no problem. I've tried it with a full-size Government Model, too, and it is comfortable and well-concealed. Couple of caveats, though: First, you want the "combat cut." It is a $7.50 option that should be standard, since getting a full grip on the gun to draw is very difficult without it. You could trim the leather yourself if money is an issue. Second, with the full-size GM, any forward or rearward torque on the gun while drawing will tend to lock it up in the holster; it needs to come out straight in line with the holster. That does not seem to be an issue with the 3-inch gun.

Well I'll put a little update to the thread here, I did order the Intruder today from Midway, for $40 I figured it to be worth a try (and I picked up some other odds and ends) and I'll need put to use the day after UPS says it's due to arrives, if I don't strap it on as soon as it shows up; pretty much everything else I looked at was stuck with a significant lead time, which once I get the bases covered I'll be ok with. I figure worst case scenario it doesn't suit me and I can offer it in the classifieds here. That doesn't mean I'm not continuing on my search, but as this thread has shown with some more options being pointed out, the problem here is there's so many options that it's a little hard to sort out just which one is the right one for the given purpose. Out of all the problems I could be having, too many options is one I'll take. So keep the suggestions or reviews of something you see suggested that you've already tried rolling in.

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post
    So far I've been really happy with it, the frame is really concealable, and it's simple operation is nice, I really like the wide frame and light weight it feels very natural in my hands. I've done lots and lots of dry fire and cleared weapon drawing practice (starting slow and speeding up gradually) and never had an issue, and the finger button on the SERPA conditioned me to develop the muscle memory of finger on the frame that's translated to other holsters when making the initial purchase and having taken the armorers course I'm very much aware of finger off the trigger and the gun isn't going to go off, thanks to Hodge's engineering based approach to the class. I went to the NY1 trigger spring for reliability and reset "feel" issues, I don't attribute it to any safety feature, but it does take a little more pull (3lbs worth but my finger doesn't have that accurate a dial yet). I also used the stock and NY2 triggers over 3 GSSF indoor matches, best scores came with the NY1. Lack of an external safety, also makes me that much more picky when choosing a holster, as I will not carry with a holster that's going to leave room for unwanted items to get inside the trigger guard, or be soft enough that something could be pushed against the holster externally and reach the trigger. And just to clarifyy before someone jumps on me for not being specific, it's not a matter of a decoker on the Glock as they ride partially cocked, with some tension on the firing pin spring in the natural state of rest and it's actually decocking the gun to separate the slide when you have to pull the trigger for dis-assembly (4 rules are very important in all of this and need to be steadily reinforced throughout every shooters career). Train train train, practice practice practice and I compete every chance I get to keep a little bit of stress in my shooting to expose my flaws and refine my technique. My only complaint about the 27 is that .40 S&W isn't very cheap around here (when I first bought it .40 was within $1-2 per 100 round box of 9mm), so I think it's getting due for a G17 companion in the safe and a G23 wouldn't be too far behind that, to have a good all rounder, as I do tend to think of the G27 as being more carry focused even though it's served well as my everything handgun for quite a while now. And well i would like to be able to have lights on the rails so I had the weapon mounted option available to me even though I'm always carrying a support hand light, again mostly just to expand my options to better my response to whatever the world may throw at me.

Back to holsters though, I'm hoping I'll soon find one for CC that I'm just as enthusiastic about as I am with the Glocks. I'm about 6ft and 260 and slowly but steadily falling weight, which leads me to believe that eventually this will get even easier to avoid printing as my waist line shrinks by my shoulders don't.

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The Comp-Tac Minotaur and the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe are the best tuckable holsters.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    The Comp-Tac Minotaur and the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe are the best tuckable holsters.
    Ok, but what makes them that way? Is it the horsehide? The patter of the leather? The clips? What separates the two? What is it that makes people love one but not the other when it comes to preference? If you had to pick only one which and why?

Glock Certified Armorer

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    The nice thing about the CBST is that it's so butt-ugly that I didn't feel bad hacking up the leather and kydex to make the draw more comfortable. I think a homemade combat cut to allow for a full grip is necessary with it.
    Hakkaa päälle!

Quote Originally Posted by alachner View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by canav844 View Post
    Ok, but what makes them that way? Is it the horsehide? The patter of the leather? The clips? What separates the two? What is it that makes people love one but not the other when it comes to preference? If you had to pick only one which and why?
    The only thing that makes that statement valid is that it's an opinion - not a fact, one which I disagree with but it may be the case for that individual.

I use a Galco UDC, and no, I am not a paid spokesperson for Galco Gunleather, although I do like their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Justified View Post
    You use one of those crossbread style holsters at 1 o'clock? Where do the clips end up? I can see have your EDC pointing at your junk, you would be concearned about a ND.
    The front-most clip is right behind the buckle, about 1 inch to the right of it and hidden by the excess overhang (or whatever it's called) of the belt. The rear-most clip is at the 3-3:30 position, and is hidden by my cell phone.

The ND concern? Now you know why I carry a revolver with a fairly heavy trigger...
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links