Is this a new record for a custom holster? Only 48 hours from order to arrival!!! - Page 2

Is this a new record for a custom holster? Only 48 hours from order to arrival!!!

This is a discussion on Is this a new record for a custom holster? Only 48 hours from order to arrival!!! within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by royal barnes Ken has been in the custom leather business since the mid-70's. I own a couple of his speed scabbards, several ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Is this a new record for a custom holster? Only 48 hours from order to arrival!!!

Quote Originally Posted by royal barnes View Post
    Ken has been in the custom leather business since the mid-70's. I own a couple of his speed scabbards, several mag holders and a shoulder holster for a snubbie. I have owned them for years. All his leather products are made from horsehide. He made the first belt and ankle holster I remember ever seeing for the Seventrees Asp pistol back in the 70's. While his shop is no longer a one man operation he is still a custom builder certainly more so than those shown in your signature lines.
    I don't think any in my sig line are custom. Every other person on a gun forum has a CBST, and every third person has a MSVM2. But anywhere you guy, people call them "custom" (probably the VM2 more so than the CB), but they aren't. I am just saying if everyone of them is the same, it's not custom. One of a kind, or a limited number, something made only for your weird gun, etc., would be custom. Just saying.

If that order was hand made, how could anyone cut, shape, and dye the leather in just one day...and have it ready to ship out that day (figuring one day for mail, which I find difficult to believe).
    As long as you like the holster and it works well, I guess it really makes little difference how, when, or where it was made.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by G19inLV View Post
    Can I order the same holster for the same gun? What exactly makes it custom? If everyone who orders that particular holster, gets the same exact thing (minus the few differences as a result of being handmade) what exactly is custom about it?
    Wow, I really didn't intend for my first post to be so controversial! There seems to be a misunderstanding about what custom means in terms of manufacturing. Let me try to explain. Custom manufacturing generally refers to any production done in lot sizes of one for a particular order. Whether it is a leather holster, a stainless steel 1911, or a carbon fiber racing yacht, the product is custom if it is made one at a time for a specific customer's specifications. It's custom if it was made especially for me the way I asked for it, as opposed to being speculatively produced for some hypothetical future customer.

I am not taking away from the holster or the maker, but unless something is done, rather it be fit, measurement, etc., like a suit for instance, or a one of a kind thing, it's not really custom.
    I've had suits made custom for me and they were the identical in size and quality to suits I have purchased off the rack. The tailor in the first case measured my dimensions (which happened to be identical to a standard suit size) and then I chose one of a number of fabrics he had for him to make it from. The only real difference between this and buying off the rack is that the custom suit was made with my name on the order while the suit I purchased off the rack was made for anyone who happened to end up buying it.

Anything that is made the same way for every customer is considered "mass produced", the amount made is irrelevant.
    I think there might be some additional confusion about here what "mass customization" really means. The generally accepted definition is the production of large amounts of standardized products, including and especially on assembly lines (Mass production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Mass produced products tend to be made in large batches for anticipated demand, not individual one-of-a-kind products like my custom order.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If that order was handmade, how could anyone cut, shape, and dye the leather in just one day...and have it ready to ship out that day (figuring one day for mail, which I find difficult to believe).
    I presume that he had different color leather hides on hand that he had previously purchased as a raw material to make his holsters from. It wasn't like I was picking a subtle shade of a particular hue on a color card in a paint store. I just chose Cordova Brown out of a list of available colors. Although I suppose that some people might consider it cheating for a holster maker to buy pre-dyed hides, I doubt even the biggest holster making companies are vertically integrated enough to slaughter their own cattle and tan the hides themselves!

I don't think that anyone was trying to fool me or cheat on my holster. In general, companies that are able to produce products more quickly also have better quality, more reliable delivery, and more competitive prices. There are number of case studies available if anyone is interested in this (Quick Response Manufacturing). Producers like Ken are generally the best in their industry.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    As long as you like the holster and it works well, I guess it really makes little difference how, when, or where it was made.
    Although I certainly see your point, there is a sticky thread in this forum (Where's my holster?) full of people who have been waiting months or even years for their holsters who might politely disagree!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Blue View Post
    Wow, I really didn't intend for my first post to be so controversial!
    Me neither,

It's custom if it was made especially for me the way I asked for it, as opposed to being speculatively produced for some hypothetical future customer.
    If things were made to fit YOU, and is unlike the average holster (or any item) they produce, then yes, it is custom.

I've had suits made custom for me and they were the identical in size and quality to suits I have purchased off the rack. The tailor in the first case measured my dimensions (which happened to be identical to a standard suit size) and then I chose one of a number of fabrics he had for him to make it from. The only real difference between this and buying off the rack is that the custom suit was made with my name on the order while the suit I purchased off the rack was made for anyone who happened to end up buying it.
    Suits don't usually fit off the rack, and are tailored to fit you. But if they made the suit to fit your dimensions, from scratch, then it's custom. They don't have to create a whole new look, or a whole new fabric.

I think there might be some additional confusion about here what "mass customization" really means. The generally accepted definition is the production of large amounts of standardized products, including and especially on assembly lines (Mass production - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). Mass produced products tend to be made in large batches for anticipated demand, not individual one-of-a-kind products like my custom order.
    Ehh, if they make the same holster, the same way every time, it's mass produced. It really doesn't matter if it's JIT, actually, most stuff is JIT. Manufacturers don't want too much inventory on hand.

If things were made to fit YOU, and is unlike the average holster (or any item) they produce, then yes, it is custom.
    Well that is certainly a novel definition of custom manufacturing! I think I may have confused you with my suit example. It doesn't matter whether the suit is made to fit ME, my nephew, or Kiki the Gorilla. Using the standard definition, it is only custom made if it was produced FOR a specific customer to their particular specifications at the time of manufacture.

Suits don't usually fit off the rack, and are tailored to fit you.
    Tailoring a suit after it is produced would be an example of rework or late configuration. Both a custom made suit and a mass produced suit might end up needing tailoring so this really isn't helpful in making a distinction between the two.

But if they made the suit to fit your dimensions, from scratch, then it's custom.
    A mass produced or a custom suit could both be made from scratch to my specific dimensions. As I explained above, my dimensions happen to fall on a fairly common size so the result of either would be identical. The distinction would be whether the suit was made for a particular customer or instead produced in anticipation of some future demand for an unknown customer.

They don't have to create a whole new look, or a whole new fabric.
    Now this is true! The custom made item doesn’t have to be physically different than a mass produced item, it just has to be made for a particular customer to their particular specifications.

Ehh, if they make the same holster, the same way every time, it's mass produced.
    Technically they could make the same product the same way and still have it be custom. An example of this would be a bakery that makes birthday cakes. If one day all eight customers who place an order randomly happen to want a chocolate cake that says “Happy Birthday Burt”, each of those cakes would still be custom made. Again, the real distinction using the standard definition is whether each one is made for a particular customer at the time of production.

Hey, all this hulla buloo is holding up the pics!!
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    ----
    If not me, then who?

Quote Originally Posted by hk45c View Post
    Hey, all this hulla buloo is holding up the pics!!
    That's right. Where are the pics??
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

In this topic G19inLV miss-understands the true definition of Custom.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Blue View Post
    I don't think that anyone was trying to fool me or cheat on my holster. In general, companies that are able to produce products more quickly also have better quality, more reliable delivery, and more competitive prices. There are number of case studies available if anyone is interested in this (Quick Response Manufacturing). Producers like Ken are generally the best in their industry.

Although I certainly see your point, there is a sticky thread in this forum (Where's my holster?) full of people who have been waiting months or even years for their holsters who might politely disagree!
    Bubba Blue...
    I was in no way trying to be critical about your holster. I made a comment about the length of time to make a holster, but it really makes no difference.
    Yep, lots of people wait loooooooooooong periods of time to get holsters. I've never waiter more than 5 weeks which seems reasonable to me.
    With all due respect, I'm glad you're happy with your 'leather'.
    No criticism was intended...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links