Cargo pocket carry...?

This is a discussion on Cargo pocket carry...? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone have any suggestions on who makes a holster appropriate for this type of carry for a S&W 442 (j-frame)? I know it may be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cargo pocket carry...?

Cargo pocket carry...?

Anyone have any suggestions on who makes a holster appropriate for this type of carry for a S&W 442 (j-frame)? I know it may be a bit odd, but when you are a thin guy and wear cargo shorts often it seems like a possibility. Help?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Before you spend $$ on a holster , allow me to suggest that you wrap that j frame in a hankerchief , add a reload ( to simulate holster weight ) and walk with it a bit , in the back yard should be fine ... I think you will find that its not going to work well . If you do decide to go ahead about any square cut pocket holster will work out fine for you , and about any custom maker who makes pocket holsters can fix you right up with a square bottomed holster for a j frame .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Good advice, thanks! I actually have walked around with it several times and while it's not the best place to carry, obviously, I am still rather limited when wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Thankfully the weapon is extremely light, which is why I bought the J-frame (primarily for this purpose). The short/pocket seems to swing a little but I figured with a more stable platform...IE: a holster that fills the pocket better, some more stability should be found? Any other good input?

Good post above, I carry a 637 in fobus, yes a fobus and it is awesome 20 bucks.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

I've never seen a fobus for pocket carry?

Who , If i might ask what is to prevent you going up an inch or two on the waistband size of the shorts , then going with a good iwb/belt combo ? really i am not trying to be difficult on the issue , and if your mind is made up by all means contact a holster maker with the " average demention " of the pockets and i am shure they will fix you up with a solution ( we have several fine holstermakers on this board and i would suggest any one of them as they are all quality folks ) . Really tho imho you will be better served by dressing for the gun , not gunning for the dress .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

I do agree with you about IWB and it's how I carry my G27...I was just interested in exploring the ability to carry in the cargo pocket of my shorts as another option. Like I said, I'm pretty thin and my options are few, IWB with shorts seems to print a lot on me (maybe I just need to try some other holsters too). My biggest battle with carrying has been adopting the changes in dress!

Who , Ill tell ya what , You get any of the makers who are members here to make you an iwb set ( holster and belt , mag carriers are suggested but optional ) and if that dont solve your printing ( and most of the comfort ) issues I will publicly apologise for pushing the issue , Really cargo pocket has too many dis advantages going all the way from comfort to retention . IMHO a better option is step sideways ( if you need to ) to a small auto somewhere in the range running from the pm9 thro the p3at in size and use a more conventional front pocket carry . that is assuming that the j frame isnt working in that role for you .

Sounds like a plan, I'll give it some more thought and continue to check out the "local" makers. Maybe I'll just start wearing the standard issue tropical shirts nah!

LOL well best of luck to ya on what eaver you decide , as stated it can be built to fit the pockets fairly snugly and stabalise the pistol to a degree . I still consider it ill advised to carry there , it offers all the dis advantages of off body cary ( weapon out of handy reach , and not really that secure ) with none of the advantages ( ability to lay the holstered weapon in plain sight , have it within reach and not have to actualy pack the annoying dammed thing ) lol .

Administrator

Talking

Ahhh Come On Folks...The smaller S&W J Frames were originally made by Smith & Wesson to be pocket revolvers.
    The S&W Shrouded Hammer Body Guard & later the Centennial were purposely designed to be "snag free" & specifically designed so that the standard style hammer would NOT catch or snag on anything when taken out of the:

A ) ~ Refrigerator

B ) ~ Hornets Nest

C ) ~ Pocket

D ) ~ Bathtub

E ) ~ Womb

F ) ~ None Of The Above

G ) ~ All Of The Above

If you guessed "POCKET"...then you would be 100% Correct.

QK Real true , and note i stated something to the effect of front pocket use assuming this had been tried and rejected . Its also a fact that not many of us wear the " zoot suits " common back when ..... LOL , pockets have changed , j frames have not . If it works fine , for me and my wardrobe / build it dont but others do lol .

Robert Mika custom pocket holster. $18.00 delivered.

This is my primary summer carry method. It offers great concealment with my 340pd in a pcs pocket holster. You will need Velcro to keep the cargo pocket closed. Buttons make drawing impossibly or at very least extremely slow. I leave the buttons on the pocket, but have added Velcro to the flap to allow quick draws. With a little practice, you can draw extremely quickly and safely. While seated in a car, with a seat belt, it offers almost instant access to your firearm. You will also need a quality belt to keep the pocket high enough to allow for easy access. If you let you pocket drop to about knee level, you access will be effected. I love my PCS holster, see link...

http://www.lightningarms.com/products.htm
    "Sic Semper Tyrannis"

Lead Moderator
    I tried pocket carry for my 1911 Champ. Too much weight for me flopping around. If you think it would work, e mail me and I will discuss possibly building a custom pocket holster if you are interested. I work in kydex BTW. There are several other holster makers who can help you too, right on this site.
    I have seen a cargo pocket pant that has a built in holster as well. Sorry I can't remember the site/product.
    IWB might work for you if you try wearing a larger t shirt too. Good luck.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links