Newbie question

This is a discussion on Newbie question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys I'm new to this forum as well as concealed carry. Been looking at various options from glock 26/19 to ruger lc9/sr9c. Still not ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By loboleather

Thread: Newbie question

Newbie question

Hey guys I'm new to this forum as well as concealed carry. Been looking at various options from glock 26/19 to ruger lc9/sr9c. Still not sure what to go with, I have hard core glock friends and those that can't stand them. I like the "simplicity" of the glock, form follows function definitely comes to mind there. I also like the size/shape of the ruger seems more concealable.

Anyway, on to holsters. I've been reading up on the supertuck from crossbreed and really like them, I guess my question is how do you hide the belt loops or clips? Wouldn't that be a dead giveaway? I would assume it's easy to spot those. Just some background, I wear work pants (business) and button down shirts tucked in pretty much every day of the week other than Fridays and I would like to be able to carry comfortably without being obvious.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Welcome from the Tampa Bay area!
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Every holster design involves compromises among the four basic factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will always be compromises in the other factors.

IWB-style holsters emphasize concealability by keeping the bulk of the holstered weapon inside the trousers. The trade-offs are usually in accessibility (obtaining a solid "shooting grip" on the weapon during the draw, and in comfort for many folks.

Given your wardrobe description you may find that it can be quite difficult to comfortably carry and fully conceal weapons like the Glock and Ruger models mentioned. The grip-frames are rather bulky and may tend to print through your shirt during normal body motions. The looser the shirt and trousers, the better off you will be in this regard.

A solidly built belt makes a world of difference in carrying a weapon. Belts that are narrow or made of flimsier materials may require tightening to an uncomfortable degree in an attempt to stabilize the holstered weapon and support the weight.

Snap-loop belt attachments and belt clips will always be visible to some degree, but less so than you might imagine. Most folks simply don't pay much attention to what is around them, while others (like us old cops) would spot these easily and know exactly what they are. Wearing your shirt tucked in very loosely, allowing it to drape down over the belt will help. Clips will be less conspicuous than leather snap-loops, and using a belt of similar color to the clip will make it much less visible.

Best regards.
    Secret Spuk likes this.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Thats why pocket Glocks are so nice. I have a G33 in a pocket holster, works great.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

You are going to get many opinions on both. Take them with a grain of salt. I carry a G26 in a C-Tac, have done so for years and love them both. Glock and Ruger are both pretty reputable guns. I would say shoot all of them before making a decision. The G26 has a great round capacity 10 +1, super concealable in any weather/outfit, and is incredibly easy to clean/maintain. In addition there are numerous glock parts out there easily found and reasonably priced. Though I doubt you will ever need to do anything to your EDC except shoot it, clean it, and shoot it some more. The C-TAC is a versitile tuckable Kydex holster that really can meet any need.

**The above comments are MHO and in no way represent an educated or expert opinion***

Inside Waistband Holsters - products new home - C-TAC Holster

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

VIP Member
    You can order "J" clips that hook from behind the belt as opposed to over the front.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Sponsor
    1.) If it were me I would go with the Glock 26 over the LC9. That is just one mans opinion for my own reasons.

2.) Weapon retension is another factor on a small gun in a holster.

3.) The way to hide the clips/loops, generally you will blouse your shirt out some to cover the clips/loops, it mostly works depending on attire. The other way is to leave your shirt un-tucked if you are able to do so, like you said on Friday. Carrying requires just a small amount of adjustment and you will get use to it.

Below is an example of a holster I have been building for a long time and is my most popular seller for over ten years. It is very comfortable and has great gun retension. There are many styles of holsters out there you just have to read and decide what will work for you in terms of comfort, concealment and weapon retension (how easily can the gun come out if something were to happen).

Let me know if I can help all forum members get free shipping.

brigade-gun-holsters-glock-30-2.jpg

m-11-Brigade-1911-3-inch-gun-holster.jpg
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

cmb
    I as many others here work in a business setting wear discreet carry with tucked in shirts whether button down or polo is a must and I pull it off every day... I carry a full size 1911 most days, even in the Florida heat and humidity and a BUG; I carry the 1911 IWB and BUG Keltec P32 in my pocket, occasionally I will ankle carry a Jframe and even less than occasionally I will put it or my 380 IWB... The 1911 fits me well when it comes to shooting, pointing and though heavier it is the original thin pistol. I am not trying to push my preference just explaining to you my personal reasons...

I would rent and shoot before you buy or if you have friends who will let you shoot theirs the exact models you are interested in and shoot more than one breed, the two you mentioned Glock and Ruger are very different in feel, trigger pull etc... and I have read the sr9c has a different type of trigger function and is much better than the original sr9... those things matter I would also look at similar offerings from Springfield the XDM line, H&K, SIG, and then if concealability is an issue, you have some of those lines who offer a single stack which are thiner pistols as well as Keltec, Kahr, Walther etc... don;'t rule out a jfraam revolver, you can find a used one usually at the 2-300 range and then save for your desired piece and the jframe shape to me and many others is simply the most versatile gun (IWB hip/back/appendix, pocket, ankle)

If you are buying one gun and will only have one for a time be sure to pick carefully... I am a BUG advocate also, the old saying is two is one and one is none, but in reality for me it is because if I am sitting what good will a gun in my pocket do me... so I like the accessibility and secondly if your try one of those small 32's or 380's they are no bigger than a wallet and around 3/4 of an inch thick and are perfect in the pocket, then standing casually with your hand in your pocket you can access a gun or from your hip or ankle... those pocket pistols can be had for 200-300 bucks... well worth it to me... a compact defesnse pistol as mentioned above around 300-600p plus extra mags to rotate, ammo to practice a belt and holsters for around a 1000$ you should be good to go...

I am 6' and about 205 lbs and I am frugal with my dollars because I dont have a lot of extra cash and I am middle income and support a large family... I use a ace case tuckable holster you can find them for your model gun at cheaperthandirt.com and I buy my belts at Walmart, I use the thicker and stiffer Dickies belts and they have served me well, I buy a new one about once a year or year and a half, I wear the older one with my olde clothes or untucked shirts since after a while the belt has taken a beating at the buckle and holster locations... both of these items are under 12$ a piece...

The clip is noticeable if you really look but most people won't notice and neither will you after a while; the "blousing" of the shirt also helps, tucking in tight and then pulling back out a little even all they way around, this helps if you bend or raise your arms anyway... i can't stand my shirts to snug. The only issue is to avoid the really thin white dress shirts because youd can see a little through them if one was looking, I carry a 3 oclock which is my right hip so my arm it their also in the way of the view. The other thing I do is always wear a tshirt and I use XL, I tuck this into my underwear; not a fashion statement I know but it keeps my t-shirt in place more effectively...

don't forget to search threads: how to choose a handgun and related stuff some the "experts" have helped novices like myself...

also practice, and if I can say it again, practice

may you find the handgun for you and may you never need it but if you do may it serve you well...
    "The greatest pride is to think you are humnble enough." CS Lewis

"Woe to those who call evil, good and good, evil." Isaiah 5.20

"Sin is a disguised form of insanity." Al Mohler

I carry an SR9c in the appendix position every day under just a t-shirt. I can see it printing, occasionally, but I've never had any indication that it was noticed by my boss, coworkers (they would say something about it) or customers, many of whom are LEOs. Most people don't look at your waist, and won't notice the clips.

The grip of the SR9c is a little slimmer than the Glocks, but the G26 grip is a little shorter. Depending on your carry position, one might work better than the other.

I'm now wearing the FusionPac holster made by Tactipac.com. It has its own belt system, is really comfortable, and since there are not any belt clips it is easier to tuck than my MTAC. I carry my M&P 40c in it comfortably. Also if you like the simplicity of a Glock you might also consider the S&W M&P line of pistols.

Thanks for all the great responses! I was thinking ruger sr9c because I read it was thinner and may be easier to conceal. I was first looking at the lc9 but after a few reviews and the fact that I'm 6'2" and 195lbs I felt that may be too small. Also have large hands and to be honest I want a gun I can go to the range and put down a few hundred rounds now and then and be confident in it's performance and my familiarity with it.

I plan on borrowing a buddies g26 and g19 and taking them to range, however I've not had luck in the sr9c. No ranges around here (ft lauderdale,FL) seem to have them. As for holsters I like the j clips as suggested, might take a look into those. I do work as a manager in software development so not sure I could really have enough blousing to cover the loops, I'm usually well tucked with only a bit of blousing. I'll also be checking out some of the holsters you guys mentioned. Would love to be able to carry without concern that I'm being "watched" etc. Thanks again!

New Member Array The Annoyed Man's Avatar
    My wife has a G19, but she has only carried it once or twice. She prefers carrying something a little smaller and lighter, so her daily carry has been a 642 revolver. Personally, I think that Glocks are well made and reliable pistols, but I can't get past the ergonomics. Admittedly, I haven't yet shot a Gen 4 Glock, so they may be different. I have a fairly broad array of guns in my carry rotation, including 5" and 3" 1911s, an M&P 45 full-sized, and an M&P 340 .357 snubbie, but the one that I have carried the most this summer has been a Kahr PM9. (Here in the DFW region, we've had about 30 consecutive days of 100+ weather with high humidity.) If you want something that is "Glock-like" but that flat disappears into concealment, without giving up horsepower, give the diminutive +P rated Kahr 9mm's a look.

Based on her trying out of my PM9, my wife bought herself a CW9 (1/2" longer barrel and slide, 1 more round of capacity in the grip length). As soon as she has run a couple of hundred rounds through it, she'll swap out the revolver for her Kahr. It weighs less than the revolver, holds 7+1 instead of 5+0 rounds, reloads faster with a magazine swap, is loaded with Corbon DPX +P 115 grainers instead of .38 Special +P loads, and it is far more accurate. The Kahr trigger is "double-action-like", although it is a striker fired pistol, with a long, fairly light, butter smooth pull which is MUCH lighter than the trigger on her 642 snubbie. Both of our Kahrs are only .9 inches in width.

I really like all of my carry guns, or I wouldn't have kept them in the first place, but I have grown to REALLY like the Kahr pistols. As they are single stack guns, you do give up capacity when compared to Glocks, or other double stack pistols—but not if you're comparing the single stack G36 to a Kahr CW45, which actually has one more round of capacity, and which can be accessorized with 7 round magazines, while the G36 is only available with 6 round mags. And let's be honest.....if you get into a street situation where you need to draw and shoot, are you going to stick around and exchange shots until sundown, or are you going to return fire and get the hell out of Dodge? Capacity is nice, but if you've fired more than a handful of rounds from a pistol in a real shooting, you're doing something wrong. That's what long guns are for. A good carry gun is not necessarily the same thing as a good Zombie Apocalypse gun. I'm not saying not to buy a double stack Glock/XD/USP/Whatever if that's what floats your boat. I'm just saying that, unless you are carrying for duty purposes, high capacity for concealed street carry should not be as high on the list of priorities as is concealability, caliber, shootability, and accuracy. If you can easily conceal the larger pistols, that's fine (I can). But if light weight for comfortable all-day everyday carry matters to you—and it quickly will matter to you after you've carried long enough—then these things become important in priority. In a gunfight, the small, light pistol you have with you because it slips into your pocket trumps the larger more powerful pistol you left at home because it was just too much to carry that day.

As far as carry methods for my PM9, I alternate between a Mitch Rosen "Express Series" OWB pancake holster (available from the Kahr website, and even left-handed holsters are carried in stock), and a Desantis Nemesis II pocket holster. The PM9 pockets even better than my little snubbie, and almost as well as the POS P3AT which I recently sold.

I am a 1911 guy at heart. Always have been. Always will be. But I have to say that I have become a fan of Kahr pistols for concealed carry purposes. My next .45 will be a CW45. Kahrs are very well made. Other than some teething problems in some of their early .40 caliber models, they have proven to be reliable guns. They have the simplicity of the Glock, with the concealability of single stack pistol. They have much better ergonomics than the Glocks, and they manage recoil superbly despite their small size. (Subjectively, shooting the PM9 feels about the same as shooting my 3" Kimber from a recoil perspective.) Some of the Kahr models, including the "PM" series, are a bit expensive. BUT, in recognition of that, Kahr Arms has released their CW series pistols which save money primarily by using fewer machining steps in the slide manufacture; AND they have recently released the CM9, a tiny little pistol the same size as the PM9, but at the CW series price point. MSRP on the Kahr CM9 is $565.00, but you should be able to find one for sale at a gun show or your local gun store for around $450.00 new in the box.

And no, I do not work for Kahr Arms. I'm just a firearms enthusiast with a concealed carry license who has been carrying for a few years now and who likes to share what he has learned from his own experiences.
    Last edited by The Annoyed Man; July 30th, 2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling error

The Ruger LC9 is my EDC until I can think of a good excuse to try something else. At over 6' you're probably right about it being a little too small for you. I'm 5'0"/110 lbs and it's just about right for my hands. I have total confidence in its ability to perform if/when I need it to.

VIP Member
    I'm IWB at 3:30 with CTAC, MTAC, and CB Supertuck, all with Velcro clips that attach to Velcro strips that a shoe repair stitched on the inside of all my belts. Nobody sees the clips that are hidden under the belt, the holster doesn't slide around, and the dress shirt can be bloused or tucked in around the thin, short grip of my EDC 45. Comfort, concealability, and access are the parameters well worth the challenge. Welcome!
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Links