Can't get gun out - Kydex

This is a discussion on Can't get gun out - Kydex within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ordered new holster from SHTFgear.com and it arrived today. It's one of those hybrid leather/Kydex holsters. Put my PX4 Compact in and now I can't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't get gun out - Kydex

Can't get gun out - Kydex

Ordered new holster from SHTFgear.com and it arrived today. It's one of those hybrid leather/Kydex holsters. Put my PX4 Compact in and now I can't get it out! Pistol went in fine, nice sharp click and now it's all one piece. Product is similar to Crossbreed.

How do you adjust one of these newfangled Kydex things?
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

2. Remove Ads

remove the screws that hold the kydex on the leather, that should allow you to remove the gun.

replace the screws back into leather to reattach the kydex, contact maker and return it for them to fix. Unless there are clear directions for you to reshape the kydex don't do it are you may void the warranty.

Looking on the website you mentioned it looks like rivets, not screws.

Are you trying to take it out on or off your belt, not being familiar with the holster it may need a push or a specific angle of draw stroke to be released, I had a Galco OWB holster for about a week that unless you got it just so, the gun was stuck in the holster, and the way I wore it, I just couldn't draw. So you might try pushing then pull or pulling at a few different angles if there's no instructions, and if the holster is on and wedged the resistance may help hold the holster still while you pull on the gun. The leather should have some flex to it, so you may be able to move it gently to loosen the grip so to speak.

Glock Certified Armorer

The Kydex IS riveted and stitched, so there are no screws to remove. On/off belt is not the issue. Once I insert pistol into holster (off my body) the only way I can remove pistol is to hold bottom of holster and kind of yank the pistol out. Once I put holster on body, I cannot get pistol out of holster. I think your remark about the angle may be the issue. I will experiment some more this evening, and, if it is still the same tomorrow, I will call the holster maker and see what he says.

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    The Kydex IS riveted and stitched, so there are no screws to remove. On/off belt is not the issue. Once I insert pistol into holster (off my body) the only way I can remove pistol is to hold bottom of holster and kind of yank the pistol out. Once I put holster on body, I cannot get pistol out of holster. I think your remark about the angle may be the issue. I will experiment some more this evening, and, if it is still the same tomorrow, I will call the holster maker and see what he says.
    Ok so you can it out in the first place, I thought you may have had a firearm trapped. One trick I was given in the instructions of an all leather holster was to put it in a dress sock and let it sit overnight, kind of like down loading new mags by one for a week to break in the stiff spring, the leather works with the kydex and the leather may still need to be "broken in" However do not use oils unless the manufacturer tells you to do so, if you over stretch it you may lose all passive retention. Hopefully someone with the same holster will come along with more details. Also if you're tight with the belt squeezing it, it your body may be increasing the natural retention of the design, that may or may not improve with some break in.

Glock Certified Armorer

With My Galco King Tuck I had the same problem. Turned out the front sight was catching on the bottom lip of the kydex. I cut a small relief notch in it so the front sight would clear and no problems since.

Heat it up until the Kydex is slightly soft, then twist and wiggle the gun around a little bit. If it doesn't get it loose enough, repeat with a little more heat. Your wife's hairdryer should be sufficient. Just keep it moving. (don't focus in on one spot for too long) As soon as it gets to where you can flex it a little bit, stop.

Just use some sense and you'll be fine. I've built lots of Kydex holsters, pretty easy to work with.

If you "over-do" it, just heat it up and re-mould it.

Does it have a sight channel? I was surprised that some don't. The front sight shouldn't catch. Also, sometimes the vacuum form pushed the Kydex into the triggerguard excessively, making it too tight.

Do that about 30 times. The leather part will stretch and form to the gun, making it nice and smooth. If drawing it a few times doesn't work, bag it and leave it in overnight.

I just received a Bladetech Ultimate Concealment Kydex holster for my M&P40/357Sig and it works great. When I first put my handgun in the holster it was too loose with no tension at all. I just tightened the phillips head screw on the side until it has just enough tension to stay in place and not fall out if I bend over but does not inhibit the draw from the holster.

Chances are the kydex formed in the trigger guard cdoupled with the tension from your body is causing the problem I would heat the kydex in the trigger guard area and use something to pushe it up a little,then after cooling retry the fit,if you need a little more tension heat it up and push down gently,let cool and retry
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Devilsclaw & dukalmighty

Thanks for the advice. I am reluctant to return this holster as it took the maker twice as long as quoted to get it. If I use a hair dryer, how long does it take to heat up the Kydex. I don't want to ruin it by overheating. All my holsters in the past have been leather, so this Kydex is new to me.

- Anon

If I use a hair dryer, how long does it take to heat up the Kydex. I don't want to ruin it by overheating. All my holsters in the past have been leather, so this Kydex is new to me.
    You probably can't "overheat it" with just a hair dryer. Just apply heat close (1-2" from kydex) for about 2-3 minutes then touch, should get squishy and soft, if not keep heating. Once formed hold it in place while it cools, it gets stiff again pretty fast (that's what she said).

I had the opposite problem with a hybrid holster. I felt that the gun wasn't secure enough in it. So, I used a lighter & pressed into the heated trigger guard area a bit. The tension was REALLY tight then and would NOT come out at all (kinda where you are now.) So, a little more heat & pressing in from the other way fixed the problem.

I also had an issue with the front sight post hanging up, but fixed that by radiusing where it hit. Zero problems there now.

Sponsor
    I read somewhere a guy left his gun in his kydex holster on his car dash in the sun to make it looser, it provided engough heat evidently to deform the plastic.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

My hybrid holster holds the gun just right when it's in my belt, but the gun will fall out if I'm not wearing it and turn it upside down - the pressure of my body on the leather presses the gun up against the molded kydex for an excellent fit. You may want to go for that kind of fit to begin with. When heating the kydex, use the low speed setting and keep the hair dryer moving.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links