I need a "hug-proof" carry option

This is a discussion on I need a "hug-proof" carry option within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm new to forum & cc'ing. My church is VERY huggy. I have carried only in my purse at church and I don't like off-body ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: I need a "hug-proof" carry option

I need a "hug-proof" carry option

I'm new to forum & cc'ing. My church is VERY huggy. I have carried only in my purse at church and I don't like off-body carry. I don't think I can IWB carry (even if my clothing allowed) due to the huggy-huggy people. I have read the tips about covering the ccw with your elbow, coming in low on the hugger, etc. however I have several women who come up from one direction or another (or behind) and slip their arms around my waist and I have been hug-sandwiched by two or three ladies as well. So I am considering a Smart Carry or thigh holster. Anyone have any experience with either?

Wondering about printing in Smart Carry, or grip sticking out, and if physical attibutes matter (I'm a full-figure kinda gal - got a bit of a belly). And those thigh holsters just don't look comfortable at all. So before I plop down the money, wanted to see what you experienced folks have to say.

Not hugging is NOT an option at my church :) So just trying to minimize getting made. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Both are good choices; especially if you wear a dress to church. My wife carries AIWB when she's not in a dress; which works real well for her.

Smart Carry sounds like about your best option (assuming Crocodile Dundee doesn't attend your church...), or possibly pocket carry something like an LCP if you wear slacks.
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    FWIW, I am the pastor in a huggy congregation. If you go IWB and someone hugs you, 99 times out of 100 they think it's your cell or something. So my advice is to carry, keep it low IWB (like a SmaryCarry or my favorite, a Kholster), and use the tricks of going low with your strong arm to keep people away from your firearm. And relax, the few times someone feels it they will almost never know what it is.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    I would recommend a thigh holster. Here's a good video: http://youtu.be/LNL5pqn3Eng
    oneshot likes this.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Smartcarry or an Ankle holster in slacks, but if you wear skirts and dresses to church walways a thigh rig could work.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    A good question here is what type of sidearm are we talking about here? A Glock 19 might not 'fit' too well in a thigh holster where a LC9 would be.

Your purse may be the best option while in church until after your outta the 'hug-zone'.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    FWIW, I am the pastor in a huggy congregation. If you go IWB and someone hugs you, 99 times out of 100 they think it's your cell or something. So my advice is to carry, keep it low IWB (like a SmaryCarry or my favorite, a Kholster), and use the tricks of going low with your strong arm to keep people away from your firearm. And relax, the few times someone feels it they will almost never know what it is.
    ^^^this^^^

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Open Carry?

jk
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    A good question here is what type of sidearm are we talking about here?
    Sorry, that might help ---- Kahr CW9

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it!!!

Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan; by way of St. Mayberry, GA
    Something like this worn on the inside of your thigh 'might' work....comfort while seater might be an issue in a church pew....maybe.

This site has a couple of options to consider as well. Their ankel rig 'might' just work as well.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

You could try not wearing deodorant for a few days and not taking a bath. That would probably help you opt-out of the hugs.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Sponsor
    There is a technique that I use when I hug someone. If your are right handed take your right arm and keep your elbow tucked against your grip, so neccessarily your forearm will be parralell to the floor when you do that. Use your left arm to go high and your right arm will go low and then hug. Your elbow will prevent their arm from hitting your pistol. If you are wearing inside waistband holsters you will most likely be wearing that in the 4-5 oclock position and it will be easier and the grip will already be tight against your torso. Anyway that is what I do, but I don't have that happen too often. You should do ok since the Kahr CW9 is small.
    Brigade GunLeather maker of custom holsters
    www.brigadegunleather.com

Custom 1911 pistolsmith Custom 1911 Pistols
    www.harpcustom.com

troyharp@brigadegunleather.com

Please contact me via phone or email for any leather holsters status or questions, thanks. 1-888-600-2377

Easy: Avoid church.
    Nathanimal and PPKman like this.

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    You could try not wearing deodorant for a few days and not taking a bath. That would probably help you opt-out of the hugs.
    Does that work for you
    Deerbnb likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links