My first attempt at making my own custom leather holster

This is a discussion on My first attempt at making my own custom leather holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, with the severe lack of holsters for the Rhino (Other than some skeleton one for $170 bucks!) I figured it would be useful to ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Haystacker

Thread: My first attempt at making my own custom leather holster

My first attempt at making my own custom leather holster

Well, with the severe lack of holsters for the Rhino (Other than some skeleton one for $170 bucks!) I figured it would be useful to learn to make some myself.

This is my first try. I am happy with how it turned out. I made it as a ranch/woods open carry holster. Nothing fancy. Bought some leather and a few supplies, watched some youtube videos and bam... this is what happened:

Some crooked lines... but thats what I get for doing this on my apartment balcony instead of a nice workbench that I hope for one day.
    I realize now that I used leather that was too thin for the body of the holster. Its almost half the thickness of the mouth support leather. Also, Next time I am going to put some support leather around the end.
    I may dye the lighter leather a bit. I am not sure.

I bought some kydex and am going to try to build a hybrid conceal holster next.

2. Remove Ads

all-in-all, (ESPECIALLY for a first attempt) I think you did a pretty decent job. The crooked lines aren't TOO noticable, and it seems functional (main thing). So i'd say you did a pretty good job. Not bad!
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

Looks good to me, I don;t even have the courage to try...yet

Not bad for a first try. What weight of leather did you use? I make mine out of 8/9 oz leather, and they are STIFF! Reinforce the mouth and it takes two hands to squeeze it closed. I would definitely dye it, and follow it up with a couple coats of Mop & Glow to seal it.

I am unsure of what weight of leather I used. I naively ordered some leather online. (Not much, luckily) and it was thinner than I thought. I didn't even know what weight to use.

I am working on my hybrid holster and its coming along alot quicker and easier than this one... :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ianator View Post
    I am unsure of what weight of leather I used. I naively ordered some leather online. (Not much, luckily) and it was thinner than I thought. I didn't even know what weight to use.

I am working on my hybrid holster and its coming along alot quicker and easier than this one... :)
    Hybrids are very easy to make and extremely useful. I have a hybrid rig that was one of my first holsters. Great holster, but I wish i would've doubled up the leather on it.

Be careful. Holster making is very addicting.
    Ianator likes this.
    NRA Life Member

The edges take a long time to master. If it works for you that's all that matters.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Addicting, and until you get a handle on it, a pain. Layouts (patterns) are the tough part. Once you have those, it is pretty straightforward. I love building holsters, so long as I have no time frame, heh-heh. Started building them in 1994 for my Vaquero. I prefer rodeo chaps, chinks,saddles, belts, anything that allows me to carve and tool. I have been told I build a good holster, but I have Alessi and Kramer stuff. An excellent effort on your part, sir. Keep after it. Well done on having the guts to start it and the heart to finish it. Next comes a hide or two, molding tools, skiving tools, edgers, an Adler, a maker stamp.......

Great job - better than I would probably do on the first attempt. I'm setting up a small area of my office to do re-loading, and I've been considering making an attempt at holster-making. Seeing your efforts gives me some encouragement to jump in.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Links