Small framed guy needing holster for large frame gun..tips?

This is a discussion on Small framed guy needing holster for large frame gun..tips? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello, I'm new to CC, actually I can't even conceal until November 1 when Wisconsin jumps on board. Anyhow, I just took the class for ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By wormy

Thread: Small framed guy needing holster for large frame gun..tips?

Small framed guy needing holster for large frame gun..tips?

Hello,

I'm new to CC, actually I can't even conceal until November 1 when Wisconsin jumps on board. Anyhow, I just took the class for my Utah and WI permit this past weekend. Currently I only have a full sized M&P 40 which will have to suffice until the bodyguard .380 becomes more available(unless I find a way to comfortably conceal my m&p). I'm 5' 11" 145lbs so I was thinking IWB. The Galco SC2 seemed like a decent option, or maybe their Triton (kydex). But again, I'm new to this so need any advice you'd be willing to offer. Thank you very much in advance and am excited to be a part of the forum!

2. Remove Ads

Window shop in here...HOLSTERS
    I have a number of Fist holsters...find the #1A, a canted IWB...quality leather, easy on/off, reasonable prices, quick delivery.

Actually, here's the #1A... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/1A.htm
    (I always add the body protector to my IWB's.)
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome to the forum. Yea Wisconsin!!!! I personally like to carry OWB. Lot of excellent holsters out there to meet just about every bodies needs. Several good holster makers are sponsors of this site. Give em a look. Again, welcome aboard.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Check out Crossbreed Holsters and Comp-Tac. Don't forget to get shirts +1 size bigger and +1 size bigger pants if you wear them tight on the waist.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Silent Thunder

I'm about the same size as you, 5'11" and 155 lbs and personally I hated IWB carry. Get a good gun belt (A&G, Wilderness Tactical, etc) and a good OWB Holster (I recommend Hays Holsters) and you should be fine. I can conceal a G19 or FNP9 OWB with a T-Shirt if I really want. I haven't yet since I have an LCP I carry OWB in the summer, but I could pull off something bigger with a good belt and holster. OMO

Thanks for all the quick replies! I guess I assumed that an IWB holster would be less obvious than an OWB holster. Also, because I am very long legged and NOBODY makes pants in 30/34 I always have to buy 32/34 anyhow so instead of cranking my belt really tight, adding a firearm would just take up that extra room thus making my pants fit better too.

What is a "gun belt" as opposed to the various of other belts I currently own? Similar to a duty belt a LEO would wear?

A gun belt is much thicker than a standard belt and made to carry the weight of a gun. It makes all the difference. With your full size M-P dont skimp on a good belt. For the money a Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor belt is excellent. If you like leather get a double layer belt. Original Instructor Belt

http://www.haysholsters.com/untitled.html

As far as a holster if your on a budget look at the Remora. I carry a full size Glock in one and they rock. Can be carried at any position or cant. Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster

My Glock 22 and a Jeff Hayes gun belt. Excellent combination. Note the thickness of the belt. It is two layers of leather stitched together to hold a gun secure.

Pistology likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Links