My 1st prototype ........

This is a discussion on My 1st prototype ........ within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd buy that! Nice job, especially considering it's a first attempt. On another note, if I wanted to try my hand at that, what tools ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: My 1st prototype ........

I'd buy that! Nice job, especially considering it's a first attempt.

On another note, if I wanted to try my hand at that, what tools would I need to get, where's a good place to get leather and some how-to's?
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post

On another note, if I wanted to try my hand at that, what tools would I need to get, where's a good place to get leather and some how-to's?
    Google Tandy Leather, I get just about everything from them and they have how to videos. If you have a store close by usually they do classes as well. Bad news is there's a bazillion little tools that you can get to do alot of different things but the good news is they are all pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by sgb View Post
    Being around the house too much has lead me astray ...........
    It's my first ever attempt at making a holster, it's a little rough and I've already decided to make a couple of small changes to the pattern but I thought I'd see what y'all think......

Being around the house too much can be good. Nice looking holster. You could make a few $ sellling holsters like that. To me, it looks as good as what the big boys make.
    Only thing I find a little off is the time of your post.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Flasher View Post

Tandy Leather Factory, Springfield Leather, etc. There are all kinds of good places to get supplies. If you're interested in this kind of thing, swing over to leatherworker.net and you could learn most of what you need to know there.

+1 on the nice holster.

I would also like to add... That is a fine looking 1911 you have, there.

Very good job. You're not going to make me wait 6 months for mine like Alessi are you?

Good job!
    NRA Life Member

Thanks to all for the tips on how to get into this. I've been watching some tutorial videos and I think that I'll start small and try my hand at it (once I save up some money...) and if I'm any good, then slowly expand.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

Let me know when you start taking orders so I get in before the 4 month turn around. :)

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    I'm impressed for it being your first effort; I'd recommend a bit of cant to it to help the butt tuck into the side better.
    God Bless
    Gideon

I saw the first pic without reading any of your text and I had to look to make sure this wasn't a new model from a site sponsor.

Awesome job!

Thank you all for the kind words ........... I give you attempt #2 w/mag holder (For a buddies new Colt Commander he's picking up Thursday) It's based on the first with some minor changes. The leather has some cosmetic flaws in it but my buddy is going to be using and abusing it to give me feedback on the design. I'm making these out of 9oz cowhide.

"There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Senior Member Array scgunlover1's Avatar
    I like 'em. Good job!
    SCGunLover1

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Works for me. I like the minimal cant.

Got one for a Glock 30, SW 4566, or SW 6906 lying around that needs testing? I'll use and abuse for no charge.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Great job on your first two holsters, and a that is a mighty fine lookin 1911.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links