IWB holster for slightly rotund w/no T-shirt

This is a discussion on IWB holster for slightly rotund w/no T-shirt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello All, New here, and a recent carrier. I live in the South East, and often I wear cargo shorts and an untucked buttoned shirt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IWB holster for slightly rotund w/no T-shirt

VIP Member

IWB holster for slightly rotund w/no T-shirt

Hello All,

New here, and a recent carrier. I live in the South East, and often I wear cargo shorts and an untucked buttoned shirt with no tee-shirt in the summer. I also lost my washboard abs (never had 'em, really) -38 inch waist, so not too chunky but I do have a larger stomach. I have a Desantis summer heat IWB, but it's not too comfortable against the skin. Can you recommend an IWB holster that 1) is comfortable against bare skin and 2) is comfortable for a guy that is in moderate need of a diet?

Edit- I carry a J-frame

Thanks...

2. Remove Ads

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    You will be a lot more happy with any IWB that attaches with two mounting points/clips also, a sweat guard will stop you revolver from rubbing against your skin. I am fond of my M-tac and I might be a bit bigger than you.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

In Delaware, East of the Mason Dixon Line.
    Oh, and stop by the new member page and intro yourself.
    "To believe that social reforms can eradicate evil altogether is to forget that evil is a protean creature, forever assuming a new shape when deprived of an old one." - SAT

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

I have found that adding a body protector (extended leather on holster) makes a comfortable difference when carrying IWB.
    I have dozens of Fist holsters and 7-8 of these for various guns (each with the body protector added)...FIST, INC.
    I also wear a 'wife beater' under my T-shirts or printed shirts, and that also helps a lot in this FL weather.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Try this IWB Holster. I hope this helps. God Bless

IWB Holsters

Before switching to appendix carry, I carried @ 3:30-4:00 using a MTAC Minotaur. Summer time heat and humidity is rather oppressive here and I found this to be about as comfortable of a holster as you can get without the need for a protective under garment.

Inside Waistband Holsters - Minotaur Holsters - products new home - Minotaur MTAC Holster
    NRA Endowment Member
    GOA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    As with several here, I also prefer an IWB with an extended "cover" portion that helps keep the hard metal of the gun off my, er.....spill-overs .

An important consideration to keep in-mind is whether or not the "shield" - whatever it is made of or however it may be shaped - will impede getting a good "combat grip" on the pistol as your hand snaps to the grip and starts the draw.

Often, it becomes a compromise between the two - and you need to decide what your perceived benefits/trade-offs are, based on your own good judgement.

For me, my most comfortable holster, the one that I EDC 99% of the time, is my PureKustom Black Ops Pro. Part of this comfort comes from the large sweat-shield that keeps the pistol's slide and rear sight off my love-handle on that side. But to execute a proper draw, with a good, full "combat grip" on the pistol, I need to use the knuckle of my thumb to physically deflect the shield - so I practice, practice, and have practiced some more, thousands upon thousands of repetitions both dry and live-fire (three bloody abrasion's worth: now a protective callous! ), to overcome this particular consideration.

The MTAC gets my vote. It can be set to ride lower or higher as your ..,..Aahhhmmm..... huskey stature warrents it.
    The Crossbreed is a good 'un to look at as well.

Let us know what you choose and how you like it once you 'pull the trigger' on the holster you get.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

The Null Vam (vampire) perfect for what you're seeking. Even better with un-tucked buttoned shirt. Can be positioned for driving, standing, sitting, etc.

Holster E.jpgHolster C.jpg
    Smith&Wesson1.jpg

Cool

I carry my Glocks in a High Noon Public Secret AIWB but even with the slide guard I like to wear a t-shirt or tanktop under my cover garment to help deal with the sweat and cushion the holster.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge.......
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Yep many of our sponsers, located at the top of the page, have comfortable IWB holsters. Already mentioned but three of favorites are the Crossbreed supertuck, minituck and Com-Tac MTAC.

Although this set up isn't shown against bare skin, when in Florida I wear this under a tee shirt and shorts.
    Milt Sparks IWB
    Attached Images

Cool

Then again if you as you say wear cargo shorts you could get a pocket holster for your j-frame and carry it in the cargo pocket.

Holster on left is a High Noon Mr. Softy IWB

Holster on right is a Pocket Grabber.

Firearm is a Diamondback .380

photo.jpg

Click image to enlarge....
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Crossbreed Super Tuck, it will benefit not only in that there is a barrier between your flesh and the pistol, but by clipping to your belt on each side of the gun and not overtop of the gun it makes for a slimmer carry rig.
    IMG_0092.jpg

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    I use N82Tactical IWB holsters. Leather pad with elastic loop for the gun. I have/use one for my full frame .357, and my full size double stack .45.
    Sorry, I don't have any pictures. I can try to put some up soon. And, yes, there is quite a lot of me making it difficult to conceal properly.
    IWB Holsters
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links