Deep concealment: Belly Band, or Smartcarry?

This is a discussion on Deep concealment: Belly Band, or Smartcarry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A Smartcarry works very well for me except when driving a lot or when I'm wearing flat fronted pants or jeans. It's a little slower ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Deep concealment: Belly Band, or Smartcarry?

A Smartcarry works very well for me except when driving a lot or when I'm wearing flat fronted pants or jeans.

It's a little slower draw than IWB though I do "cheat" the gun up a bit to the top of my belt (with my off-hand in my front pocket) when I sense potential danger.

I've used it for a Glock 26, LCP and Diamondback DB9 in business attire, and while doing presentations in front of groups for the last 3-4 years. With pleated pants I have total concealment. If I'm wearing jeans and a t-shirt, however, I usually go with a Remora in my waistband.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I wear the PT-ONE when I work out, Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns; it is a very good holster.
    Pistol Wear ... Very interesting rig ... may have to try it out!

For casual wear, I am an AIWB guy and sport all my Glocks in one of three of these: Custom Made - Free, Quick Shipping - $50 - 'Shielded Holsters'

For work during the week, I am in suits every day - only carry Glock Subcompacts for this - love Smart Carry for looser clothing but it prints in my suit pants - too hot for belly bands in S. FL - have resorted to work-carry using a Galco Ankle Rig for 7-years now (w/offside ankle sporting a DeSantis Double Mag pouch). Have been wearing this rig and really like it: 3speed Holster ... 3speed Holster.

Tough call for some... But for me, I have two kangaroo carry holsters. I used them exclusively during the winter months. Here in Texas with our sweltering heat the kangaroo carry is not a option for me. I then rely on the crossbreed super-tuck. It is without a doubt my top holster, I have several. The cost was reasonable especially for the ruggedness of the super-tuck. I wear it daily in the 100 degree heat to work, dinner, and Church. No printing, or any other issues.
    One's dignity may be assaulted, vandalized and cruelly mocked, but it can NOT be taken away unless it is surrendered.

I use a smart carry holster and love it. Very comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by xeero View Post
    Sort of an odd question, but does it make a difference with these whether your belly is large or flat? I would think if you don't have a gut then these might protrude and actually draw more attention.
    Having a large (medium?) belly might be why belly bands seem to print so badly for me. Even the bands (without anything in them) tend to print.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I wear the PT-ONE when I work out, Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns; it is a very good holster.
    I have the Pistol Wear Trump Card (a different model than above). It's excellent in terms of quality of materials and manufacture, and of softness against the skin. However (with a Kahr CW9): (1) It's way to clumsy to draw the firearm given the way it's shaped and where the opening is (it entirely encloses the firearm when holstered), (2) If I wear it IWB (one of the recommended methods) my belt compresses the soft material and makes it difficult to get my hand into the holster far enough to draw the gun, and (3) There's a sticker on the package warning not to carry with a chambered round. A holster that's first slow and difficult to draw from, and then where I'll have to rack the slide to fire, is of no use to me.
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

I wear both Kangaroo Carry and Smartcarry. I own belly bands, and want to like them, but they feel like a girdle when you strap them on. I just ordered the Trump Card holster from Pistol Wear, I suspect that might bump the Kangaroo. With the shoulder strap on the same side as the weapon, the gun slides foward and you spend all day pushing it back under your armpit. I'm hoping the opposite side tension cures that.
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

i returned my pt-2 the other day. VERY comfortable, but the draw was to difficult and slow

Another vote for the smartcarry here. When I want really deep concealment I use mine with my XDm9c and have absolutely zero worries about anyone noticing. The ONLY bad thing I can think of is that it's not that comfy when I'm going to be on my motorcycle since the gas tank kinda pushes it into my waist a bit.

CJM
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye .45 View Post
    I think I'll give the Smartcarry a try, I can test it out with the 36, j-frame, and Bersa .380, and figure out which one works best.

I've done a threat assessment for the times I am generally going to need deep concealment, and the threat spectrum is different that usual. So I am okay with the slower draw in this instance, because concealment is going to be a priority. At least this way I will have a weapon on me.
    A friend from work uses a Smart Carry and carries a SIG Ultra 1911 in his. He is quite thin and it allows him to wear anything and not worry about printing.

While working as a Funeral Director in the 90's I carried my Glock 30 in a belly band while in a suit and tie everyday. I wore a white T shirt which made it more comfortable. Now I several 5.11 holster T shirts which I really like. I just put a button down shirt on over it and leave it unbuttoned. My weapon is never exposed but easy to get to. However, it is a form fitting type T shirt and not cheap.
    aus71383 likes this.

TACTIPAC.COM Check out their FUSION HOLSTER on YouTube & their video on it. love mine for my XD40 may order another one for my 1911's also

Here's another vote for the PT-ONE. I carry my XD40 subcompact in it when I run, bike ride, or hike. And the fabric best is NOT hot. It's a breathable fabric.

I'm new and I need to post on the intro but I carry with the belly band. I carry hi.a above the hip right on my ribs. Access is easy because I practiced alot. With the belly band it allows me to wear thin tight t-shirts during summer and I love it. I had a supertuck but the constant wondering if its showing while I bend over to pick my son up was annoying. I also wear basketball shorts a lot so when I found the belly band it was perfect. It's hot during the summer, but during the summer everything is hot lol especially here in Austin tx. I also wear it alot when I go jogging, I use one 1 size smaller to make sure it stays put and it does.

VIP Member
    I pocket carry a LCP everyday. I have used the belly band quite a bit with a tucked in shirt and it worked well enough. Lately I've been trying out the Kangaroo Carry and using it to carry a full-sized gun, it has worked great.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links