Deep concealment: Belly Band, or Smartcarry?

This is a discussion on Deep concealment: Belly Band, or Smartcarry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking to expand my ability to carry, especially into areas that require more discretion than my normal carry method. I do realize the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Deep concealment: Belly Band, or Smartcarry?

I am looking to expand my ability to carry, especially into areas that require more discretion than my normal carry method. I do realize the speed of a draw will be greatly reduced, but it would still be faster than not having a firearm on me. The two main options I am looking at are a belly band holster, like the one offered by Galco, or the Smartycarry system.

I would like something that will work with either a Glock 36 or J-frame, as I don't want to downgrade to a .380 mousegun. So, who has experience with these kinds of rigs? What do you recommend, and what has worked well for you? I think I am leaning towards the Smartcarry at the moment, but want some real world feedback.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

GM
    I wear the PT-ONE when I work out, Pistol Wear - Holsters for Concealed Handguns; it is a very good holster.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

I use the belly band quite often with my J-frame Airweight. Works very well. Anything heavier than the J-frame does not work very well. I tried my Glock 27 but I didnt like the heavier gun in the belly band. Also I wasnt comfortable carrying the Glock with only a piece of elastic protecting the trigger.
    Richard58 likes this.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

My vote is the deep concealment rig, I have one and I love it. I can't speak to the other ones. My only problem with it is more me than the rig. I am a very hot natured person and this adds heat, but then again so would a belly band.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I've got a belly band and have used it once. I find it hot and uncomfortable and for me, it just didn't conceal that well. I also think by the time you got to your pistol the gunfight would be over.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar
    I love the Smart Carry, it's a great way to carry in deep concealment, and it's comfortable.

J frame in a Smart Carry works very well for me.
    The atomic bomb made the prospect of future war unendurable. It has led us up those last few steps to the mountain pass; and beyond there is a different country.
    J. Robert Oppenheimer

I use a cell pal exclusively.

I not only have the traditional box of holsters, I also have a box of belly bands. Well, not a box really, but several of them. I find that all of the them print too badly to satisfy me.

The SmartCarry works very well, particularly if you wear your belt at waist level. If you wear it down around the hips, blue jeans style, then there's less room to work with when you sit down and it can be a bit uncomfortable.

The Kangaroo Carry is a belly band that positions the gun under the armpit. I find that it prints less that other belly bands. It also doesn't require a retention strap. But like all belly bands I know of it's a pain to re-holster because the opening shuts flat after you draw.

The 5.11 Tactical holster undershirt conceals very well and is relatively easy to draw and re-holster as long as you can get access to the chest-high opening. It's also another close-fitting clothing layer, so can be quite hot...
    In the heat of the moment, what matters is what your body knows -- not what your mind knows.

VIP Member
    Both Galco Belly Band with a light weight J frame or thin auto and Smart Carry with just about anything work for me, after they're adjusted properly. I prefer to front pocket holster a 357 snubby or rear pocket holster a thin MK40 or R9 when lots of hugging is the part of the venue.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

I think I'll give the Smartcarry a try, I can test it out with the 36, j-frame, and Bersa .380, and figure out which one works best.

I've got a belly band and have used it once. I find it hot and uncomfortable and for me, it just didn't conceal that well. I also think by the time you got to your pistol the gunfight would be over.
    I've done a threat assessment for the times I am generally going to need deep concealment, and the threat spectrum is different that usual. So I am okay with the slower draw in this instance, because concealment is going to be a priority. At least this way I will have a weapon on me.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Sort of an odd question, but does it make a difference with these whether your belly is large or flat? I would think if you don't have a gut then these might protrude and actually draw more attention.

Smart Carry

I have to tip my hat to the Smart Carry. I have two, a medium and a large one. The medium is 3 years old and the large is 2 years old. They protect from sweat and rust, keeps the muzzle below your bits and its undetectable. I can play with my kid, take off my shirt, hug anyone, anytime, anywhere, anyway I ( or they) choose. Zero chance of exposing yourself. I carry a 1911 in the large one with a spare mag and at one time carried a big, double stack Taurus .45. In the medium I carry a Kel-tec p-11 and spare mag, a Taurus J-frame copy in .357 and speed strip. Sometimes I carry the .357 snubby and a little .22 Mag as a backup (bout all its good for). So i can leave the house all day, doesn't matter what I do, or where I'm going to do it. Ive tried other methods, Pocket carry, IWB, OWB, Crossbreed, Desantis, Galco, Uncle Mike's (blugh), pouches worn on belt, sporran, jackets, etc...I always end up back with the Smart Carry every time. It has a money back guarantee.

To be fair, Ive never tried a belly band but I can't even stand thick shirts in the Texas heat, I need to be cool and comfortable. I just dont see me being able to stand it. I cant even wear a watch!

Alex
    My other Kahr is a Kimber.

I toss in another vote for the Kangaroo Carry.

Smart carry all the way.

I have both and use both more than any other form of carry. If I had to choose only one, it would be the Smart Carry hands down. IMO, it's hard to beat the level of concealment offered by that type of concealment holster. The firearm literally disappears; and as for comfort, again it's hard to beat. Huge drawback for that type of carry is obviously the presentation of the firearm and the time involved, but IMO, it's best addressed with proper use. What I mean to say is. If you're going to a bad, or questionable part of town, it might not be the best way to carry for that situation; that's where the Belly-Ban comes into play. I carry both in my briefcase daily as well as my "Renegade" Ankle holster. I figure I got all the good ones covered.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links