New Crossbreed Super Tuck.... how do I put it on? - Page 2

New Crossbreed Super Tuck.... how do I put it on?

This is a discussion on New Crossbreed Super Tuck.... how do I put it on? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by TSiWRX What makes these hybrids so comfortable, conceal so well, and also so stable for the active user also makes them somewhat ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Crossbreed Super Tuck.... how do I put it on?

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    What makes these hybrids so comfortable, conceal so well, and also so stable for the active user also makes them somewhat harder to put on - all the moreso when you have a hybrid that somewhat loses its retentive capabilities when it's not physically on-body (i.e. more the CBST than the Comp-Tac Minotaur).
    I've had a CBST for three years now, worn everyday/everywhere and haven't noticed this. Not sure that it matters; there's not much use for retention in an IWB when it's off the body.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ If you're trying to put the holster on or take it off in a vehicle, for example, a more secure retention of the firearm, without the holster being on-body, makes for an easier (and safer) time.

I haven't altered my CBST in any way - it's as I've received it, from CB. This same "lessening of retention off-body" is a well known concern with the CBST, and is something that is noted in many different communities. I actually first saw it on XDTalk, and took note of it prior to delivery. I think that with some retention adjustment on my end, I could make this a non-issue, but I think that no matter what, given the hybrid construct, it is going to feel a little looser when there's not more mass backing up the flexible leather portion.

I'm a holster nut. :embarrassed: My view is that there's no one ideal holster - just items that do certain jobs better. For me, my CBST and MTAC take turns when I'm looking for a slimmer profile than with my usual EDC holster. One of the two typically works better with certain pants and cover clothing, and that's what I end up wearing.

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    I have a medium retention on mine and I can only get the pistol to 'drop out' if I hold the rig upside down and give it a vigorous snap; that's about it. I've clipped and unclipped this thing enough times to wear out the original kydex clips (CBST ships with steel clips now) and have never had a problem. I can see where flexing the leather will increase/decrease pressure against the molded kydex (which is where retention is controlled) but not to a degree that safety is compromised.

I suspect this "well-known" problem is similar to Glocks being "well-known" for kB. Or maybe I just got a really good one.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ It's possible that yours carries more retention - I honestly don't know. Certainly, if an end-user wishes for more, they could easily heat up the Kydex a little, just like the instruction letter that CB includes with every order says.

Is this a "problem" on the legendary scale of Glock (or, for that matter, any other polymer pistol) KBing? I don't think so - it's not a bunch of hysterical people running out, screaming "you're gonna die!" Rather, it's just users of the item coming forward with their honest assessments, saying, "don't worry about it, that's normal behavior for not just this specific holster, but for this entire genre of holsters." I, for one, do not see it as a problem, rather, that it is a simple trait of this type of holster, the hybrids, and is something that the end user needs to be aware of - and which most people who buy the CBST are indeed aware of...but there are exceptions:

Disappointed... - XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

Like I said above, I have many holsters, including both the CBST and the MTAC hybrids. I use my different holsters for what they do best, for none are inherently perfect and suited to every task, to everything I ask of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TSiWRX View Post
    What makes these hybrids so comfortable, conceal so well, and also so stable for the active user also makes them somewhat harder to put on - all the moreso when you have a hybrid that somewhat loses its retentive capabilities when it's not physically on-body (i.e. more the CBST than the Comp-Tac Minotaur).

Sure, the Garrett Silent Thunder/Slim/Slim II does make it much easier for the user to arm-up or re-arm: even if you're stuck inside a subcompact vehicle, it takes all but a little shift of your hips, and you can literally jam the holstered pistol - and completely safely, at that - down your pants leg and have it positively latch on to your belt.

But at the same time, the Garrett isn't without compromises, either. While I find my Silent Thunder Slim II (for my Kahr PM9) to be the most comfortable full-hardshell-kydex holster I've ever tried (and it is actually so comfortable that it's my preferred long-drive combo), it should still be said that it is a full-hardshell holster: some may not find it as comfortable. Similarly, it has only one clip, which can cause it to shift, particularly for more active users and/or those whose belt its clip doesn't quite mate perfectly with.

No holster is perfect for all occasions. There's always going to be one or another that's better/worse for the job. And yes, I also own a CBST (as well as a MTAC), among other holsters. I'm not making this post to say that one holster is better/worse than another - only to point out that your lifestyle needs may well affect your holster choice.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I actually have several holsters for my EDC. I use my Theis most of the time as it's the most secure. But if I'm wearing shorts (a bathing suit being my personal choice for shorts) or sweats, without a belt, I have other choices as the Theis pretty much requires the use of a belt. Your activities of the day will usually dictate which holster you will need to use that day.
    "How much self-defense is too much?"

A prudent one foresees the evil and hides himself, but the simple pass on and are punished. - Proverbs 22:3

My wife will only shoot a G26. She has tried numerous .380's and she does not shoot well with it. She is dead on with the G26. My wife is about 5'9" and 140lbs. She has been carrying the G26 in her purse and I keep telling her that's not a good idea. I am thinking that this Crossbreed Super Tuck might work for her. The only issue is that she does not wear a belt with her jeans or shorts. Will this holster work without a belt? Thank you, Steve.

I actually bought one of these as well as the custon belt with the velcro. I am awaiting it to arrive and will post a review once it does.
    Former US Army SFC
    LTC-Class A HC: MA
    AG License: RI
    LTC: CT

Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    My wife will only shoot a G26. She has tried numerous .380's and she does not shoot well with it. She is dead on with the G26. My wife is about 5'9" and 140lbs. She has been carrying the G26 in her purse and I keep telling her that's not a good idea. I am thinking that this Crossbreed Super Tuck might work for her. The only issue is that she does not wear a belt with her jeans or shorts. Will this holster work without a belt? Thank you, Steve.
    It really doesn't work well without a belt, none of the IWB with clips will I don't think. I never wore a belt with jeans or shorts - until I started carrying a firearm. The weight of the gun will pull down on the waist of the pants without the belt to help support it. I've considered trying a Remora for those days I don't have belt loops on my clothes, but I haven't yet. Both the beltman and crossbreed have gun belts that are prettier IMO for women. I hate wearing something that looks like my husband's belts.

I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe and I got the metal clips and also ordered a set of J-Clips as well. I prefer the J-Clips instead of the metal ones. I also bought some Velcro pads as well as my holster was make a squeaking noise and the pads reduced the squeaking noise considerably. Be sure to follow the care instructions as well.

I have both the CB Supertuck and the Galco King tuk. They are both almost exactly alike but the Galco has better retention. The wife has the CB and a Theis for her Ruger SR40c. She likes the CB best so far. The Remora looks like a fine holster but I don't really see the need for the expense. These guys work just fine.
    Best
    Maximus Decimus Meridius

Retired SCPO USN
    NRA certified Instructor
    Arizona CCW instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links