Upside Down Shoulder Holster

This is a discussion on Upside Down Shoulder Holster within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think is was an old SAFARILAND #19 shoulder holster that put the muzzle right up into the pit. I'm going back a pretty long ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Upside Down Shoulder Holster

Administrator

I think is was an old SAFARILAND #19 shoulder holster that put the muzzle right up into the pit.

I'm going back a pretty long ways though.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore
    Because it is pointed directly into a portion of your body. If you fumble the draw you could shoot yourself. There are plenty of shoulder holsters on the market; there is no reason to buy one that points the muzzle up your armpit.
    Phil:
    Most of the upside down type SRs are for wheelguns and were secured by springs or elastic which allowed the back of the trigger guard to be captured. Withdrawing the handgun would drag it against the normal trigger action (push the trigger forward if the leather actually touched it). So it would seem to me that the gun would have to be partially drawn then the wearer would have to engage and pull the trigger with his/her trigger finger while keeping the muzzle pointed at the armpit.

If you "fumble" a draw that badly, then one could also argue that:

In a horizontal SR you could shoot an innocent behind you (which of course is argued by those adverse to horizontal SRs)

In a vertical SR you might miss yourself but could ricochet a round off a piece of pavement and into an innocent

With a MOB/SOB, you could shoot the person next to you

With an appendix carry, you could shoot yourself in the hip or thigh

With a strong side (3 or 9 o'clock) holster, you could shoot yourself in the leg unless you were standing with your legs in a position approximately attention (unlikely if you're about to engage someone)

With a tanker holster, you can shoot yourself in the belly or hip

With a pocket holster, you can shoot yourself in the thigh or WORSE

With a cross draw, you could hit yourself or a person next to you

And finally, in a strong side (4 or 8 o’clock) with muzzle rear rake, you could again bounce a round off the pavement.

AND, if you fumble the draw real badly, the gun itself would end up skipping down the sidewalk.

I think it's best that we all just walk around with our handgun out at the low ready

Okay I'm jokin' around but my point is how a gun is or can be carried varies from person to person. If one ponders the issue long enough, fault can found with nearly every mode of carry. I think the biggest issue is the user’s familiarity with the gun and gear.
    teach likes this.

Distinguished Member Array fed_wif_a_sig's Avatar
    I like that Matt, that was an awsome read and made sense. BTW I also like the open carry High Ready idea, but gee just think of all the leather smiths that we'd put out of business.

Steve
    Steve
    "Respect all ... Fear none!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Del Fatti
    If you "fumble" a draw that badly, then one could also argue that:
    I agree Matt, we all want to be assured that "our way of CCW" is the safest(kinda'a like thinking along the lines that if everybody or the majority does it a certain way then it must be the best.) I have carried in ways that were not the safest at that particular time. CCW alone can be hazardous to ones health no manner how it is under taken. Having said all that, for me, it really comes down to my choice of sidearm and the circumstances, environment, etc.. which seems to dictate when, how and my method of carry.

For me, at the present I CCW OWB, IWB strong side. Currently, if I discharge my weapon(I don't believe in accidents) while drawing in my present configuration I am or any object to my rear left is subject to damage.

Administrator

You Forgot One Matt - I've Mentioned This Before

Vertical OWB is often considered to be at the top of the list regarding "safe" mode of carry.

BUT, if you are walking around on an upper floor of a conventional home or apartment then you are covering the tops of the heads of everybody in "exact locations unknown" on the floor beneath you.

Usually, In that scenario the only thing blocking a deadly negligent discharge & the top of a human head below is usually a sheet of .75" plywood plus some carpet or vinyl floor covering & any decently powerful handgun bullet will BREEZE right through that like it was not even there.

Something to always think about.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Something to always think about.
    Couldn't agree more. I asked a friend that is living with me not to carry loaded in the house because he spends 99% of his time upstairs. Me and my spouse occupy the first floor mainly. Same could be asked of me I guess if I carried shoulder holster barrel up.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Elmore View Post
    Because it is pointed directly into a portion of your body. If you fumble the draw you could shoot yourself. There are plenty of shoulder holsters on the market; there is no reason to buy one that points the muzzle up your armpit.
    I have one of the original Berns-Martin shoulder rigs for a D frame Colt. I don't use it a lot but it comes in handy under a light jacket or vest. The design completely covers the trigger and hammer. You would have to really work at shooting yourself. It was good enough for Bullitt!!!!!
    Secret Spuk likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I think is was an old SAFARILAND #19 shoulder holster that put the muzzle right up into the pit.

I'm going back a pretty long ways though.
    You are correct on the Safariland 19, I have two one for a 2” Colt Detective Special and the other for a 4” S&W Model 10/15. they are the most comfortable shoulders I have ever used, fack when I was still on active duty they were the only holster I never had my weapon fall out of while pre-flighting the C-5. They still get used on long road trips as they are faster than an IWB and more comfortable. A while back there was a similar thread about vertical shoulders and someone posted a link to a modern manfacturer but I can’t seem to find it now.

P1010188.jpg steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

This is the type of Holster that Steve McQueen used & carried in the Movie " Bullet"

I Think Red is working on his old Bianchi #9r but updating to include more then revolvers.

Justin
    High Noon Holsters
    www.HighNoonHolsters.com

I haven't found a good shoulder holster. The ones that I have found were for the larger firearms. I would recommend those tactical t-shirt that can be tucked in and you can't see any straps because their isn't any. It's really comfortable and it really doesn't retain moisture. I can wear it for two days before I need to wash it and I sweat a lot and it doesn't stink. I would recommend a v-neck style.

Nevada Gun Leather: Fine leather holsters, belts, slings and other goods

...I think Bianchi's was 9R...I had one for a J and one for a M66...knocked the M66 out once being clumsy but the J always stayed put...
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    You are correct on the Safariland 19, I have two one for a 2” Colt Detective Special and the other for a 4” S&W Model 10/15. they are the most comfortable shoulders I have ever used, fack when I was still on active duty they were the only holster I never had my weapon fall out of while pre-flighting the C-5. They still get used on long road trips as they are faster than an IWB and more comfortable. A while back there was a similar thread about vertical shoulders and someone posted a link to a modern manfacturer but I can’t seem to find it now.

P1010188.jpg steve-mcqueen-bullitt.jpg
    Mdauben likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Nevada Gun Leather: Fine leather holsters, belts, slings and other goods

...I think Bianchi's was 9R...I had one for a J and one for a M66...knocked the M66 out once being clumsy but the J always stayed put...
    Thank you for the link, that is the one I was looking for.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

I prefer rectal carry...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

...you'll put yer eye out!~!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links