1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it?

This is a discussion on 1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I also have a Miami classic II, and although comfortable I find the weight only shoulders with 2 spare mags hanging on the right side ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it?

I also have a Miami classic II, and although comfortable I find the weight only shoulders with 2 spare mags hanging on the right side to compensate for my weapon on the left becomes a little much after several hours

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I bought a Mitch Rosen from Dillion Pre. a few years ago looks a lot like the Galco you want. I carry my 2 full size Colts in it & my commander sized Kimber--All cocked & locked condition one with no problems.

Great tight fitting holster yet I can rip out a 1911 quickley.

Mostly comfey except the narrow straps begin to chew into my shoulder & neck after a while. Some maker, I don't recall who makes the same rig only with wide shoulder straps.
    Wider shoulder straps I think would be the way to go,

My Mitch Rosen does conceal & carry very well.

Distinguished Member Array razor02097's Avatar
    I have a Galco Miami classic and as others have said I can also carry in condition 1. I use mine primarily in the winter and wearing formal dress. But also keep it near the bed so if a bump in the night happens I can toss it on no problem....
    There is something about firing 4,200 thirty millimeter rounds/min that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sounds like I am gonna have to buy 4 shoulder holsters (one of each mentioned). My wife saw me browsing the interwebs for my Miami Classic and I said "you can never have too many holsters" and she said "wow, that is really sad".

I have carried my 1911's in a Galco Miami Classic for several years (maybe 20). It is my primary means of carry whenever possible. That means I carry in a shoulder holster all of seven months every year and at least two more partial months. I wear sport coats most of the time and occasionally an oversize button up shirt (summer time), but I consider my shoulder holster the most convenient (and comfortable) way to carry a gun. And, I believe Galco makes their Miami Classic for a 1911 to be carried in condition one!

I am a firm believer in shoulder holsters and I really like my Galco products.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldy49 View Post
    I have carried my 1911's in a Galco Miami Classic for several years (maybe 20). It is my primary means of carry whenever possible. That means I carry in a shoulder holster all of seven months every year and at least two more partial months. I wear sport coats most of the time and occasionally an oversize button up shirt (summer time), but I consider my shoulder holster the most convenient (and comfortable) way to carry a gun. And, I believe Galco makes their Miami Classic for a 1911 to be carried in condition one!

I am a firm believer in shoulder holsters and I really like my Galco products.
    Thanks, I am a big Galco fan too. Glad to hear of the comfort factor because that was my primary reason for exploring this carry option. I drive a LOT and almost all my holsters worn strong side at some point begin to dig into my side while driving. I'm looking for comfort on longer trips. THX!

Ray at Lobo Gunleather posted some pics of a shoulder holster rig on another forum. The only thing I know about the rig is what I saw and it looks very well made.
    Good luck,
    Jeff
    NRA Life Member

I've carried my 1911 in a shoulder holster many times. Comfortable and easy.

Be not far from me, for trouble is near; For there is none to help. psalm22:11

Back in the day I had a Miami Classic made for another gun. The gun is gone but the holster remains and I modified it to fit a 1911. Now with a Detonics 1911-2001 in there, it actually works okay, though I don't very often use it.

The rig is very practical IMHO for someone needing to carry a full-size gun under a windbreaker or other loose-fitting garment. Not so good if you are trying to conceal in a dinner jacket.

Choose appropriate clothing always.

I have an Alessi and find it to be very comfortable even on a small frame guy. Has the option for 2 spare mags on the opposite side. I don't usually pack my .45 but when I do, it's this way.

Jim

+1 on the Andrews Monarch. Dan Wesson CBOB in condition 1. My preferred and most common carry method.

Good luck.
    "You're already flying upside down. You might as well turn on the smoke and have some fun."
    - Laurence Gonzales - "Deep Survival"

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I am a big fan of Shoulder rigs, I prefer to carry that way whenever possible. I have a High Noon that I carry in Conditon 1, it took a little break in but is just fine.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

I carry my Para-X-LTC in a Galco Jackass rig and find it to be the most conmortable and efficient shoulder rig I have ever had. I like the fact that the thumb break gives another level of safety and it puts my thumb right where it has to be to click the mechanical safety off. It took a little break-in for pistol to fit into the holster without a little fussing around and for the thumb break to reach properly, but that is as it should be for a leather rig of any sort. I bought mine through Impact Guns in Utah, who gave me a good price and excellent service and shipping.
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links