1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it?

This is a discussion on 1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am thinking about buying a Galco Jackass rig for carrying my 1911 commander. Before I drop $110 on it, I'd like to know if ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: 1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it?

1911 and shoulder holster anyone do it?

I am thinking about buying a Galco Jackass rig for carrying my 1911 commander. Before I drop $110 on it, I'd like to know if anyone carries this way. I am thinking it'd be great for under my windbreakers I wear in the fall. Can I carry hammer cocked? Most of them I have seen with the thumb break require hammer down carry which is unacceptable to me.

So I am looking for thoughts and ideas. I am ok with vertical or horizontal holster orientation if that makes a difference.

Thanks for input (or better yet, pics).

2. Remove Ads

I carried a Gov as a BUG in an X15 under a nylon bomber and it worked fine.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Skip the Galco rig & spend the extra few bucks & buy yourself the Alessi Bodyguard rig for the 1911 as I did, & it has a pull through snap so that the gun can be carried in Cond #1 with no worry that a thumb strap like the galco has will reach to carry the gun in cond #1 Alessi still makes their rigs just as great as when Lou Alessi was heading the company, its now run by Tom K.

Years ago I occasionally carried a full-sized 1911 in a Bianchi X-15 beneath a suit coat. Wore it all day in perfect satisfaction.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Used to carry a 4 inch magnum in an x-15. Very comfortable.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I've had a Jackass for about 7 years now, I've carried 3", 4-1/4", and 5" 1911's condition 1. No problem after break in, for break in I kept a pistol in it for a few weeks, hung over the head board, along with presentation drills (unloaded, of course). Great angle for combat grip and presentation, Comfortable harness, great thumb break (snap still needs a good swipe to "break"), good quality, and a fair price.

It is a situational holster though. Some winters I wear it for 3 months, others a few times. I always wear it under a light cover when camping with some friends.

Hope this helps, YMMV
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

You can stretch the thumb break during break in so it can be used when using Condition 1 carry. I have a Miami Classic II

Administrator
    Go for the ALESSI. In my opinion the best shoulder rig for a 1911 type pistol.
    No retention strap. Just pull. A great shoulder rig design.
    And NO...it is not possible for the snap inside the trigger guard to physically contact the trigger.
    I answered that question in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Go for the ALESSI. In my opinion the best shoulder rig for a 1911 type pistol.
    No retention strap. Just pull. A great shoulder rig design.
    And NO...it is not possible for the snap inside the trigger guard to physically contact the trigger.
    I answered that question in advance.
    Thank you for this (and the others who responded). I am not married to Galco so I will check out the Alessi. I like the look of that and I am a big fan of passive retention holsters. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    I've had a Jackass for about 7 years now, I've carried 3", 4-1/4", and 5" 1911's condition 1. No problem after break in, for break in I kept a pistol in it for a few weeks, hung over the head board, along with presentation drills (unloaded, of course). Great angle for combat grip and presentation, Comfortable harness, great thumb break (snap still needs a good swipe to "break"), good quality, and a fair price.

It is a situational holster though. Some winters I wear it for 3 months, others a few times. I always wear it under a light cover when camping with some friends.

Hope this helps, YMMV
    Do you have a pic of how it looks in the holster at condition 1?

Sorry for the crappy phone pic's

On that top view shot you can see light between the slide and the thumb break but it does hold securely via the corners at the rear of the slide
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

VIP Member
    I have a Galco Miami Classic that's about 20 years old. Great fit and the thumb break on mine snaps with the gun in condition one. The open end design allows you to carry a government , commander or officer's size 1911. One thing to consider is how much you'll carry using this rig. I can only carry in cooler weather (with cover garment) and if they had the Classic Lite when I bought mine, I would've gone that way. I like top quality leather, but there's no reason, for me, to spend that much on a holster I'll only wear 20-25 times a year.
    rhinokrk likes this.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    Sorry for the crappy phone pic's

On that top view shot you can see light between the slide and the thumb break but it does hold securely via the corners at the rear of the slide
    Not at all, I appreciate it very much. I really like that one better than the other's. Time to call Galco.

Quote Originally Posted by TX-JB View Post
    but there's no reason, for me, to spend that much on a holster I'll only wear 20-25 times a year.
    I agree, but I am a "holster junkie" anyways. And I wear my windbreakers from Nov-March (mild winters) and I think this would do nicely when I don't feel like having my gun digging into my hip while driving.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I own a Miami Classic II and although I can't vouch for carrying a 1911 in it, (I carry a Sig P229), it is a well built and comfortable rig. I prefer it over the Jackass Rig because the mag pouches don't require a flap, therefore making for a slimmer package. The harness is first class; moves with you and doesn't restrict your natural motion. If I were to buy another shoulder rig I would also look at Andrews. Good luck on whatever you choose and post pics when it arrives.

Another one to look at is the Sam Andrews Monarch. Excellent rig. I originally thought I would find myself wearing it more than I actually do though. Shoulder holsters in my opinion are a very limited application holster.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links