Galco sb14 belt

Galco sb14 belt

This is a discussion on Galco sb14 belt within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Has anyone ever tried the Galco SB14 Sportsmans gun belt? It is a less expensive single layer belt. I realize you get what you pay ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Galco sb14 belt

Question Galco sb14 belt

Has anyone ever tried the Galco SB14 Sportsmans gun belt? It is a less expensive single layer belt. I realize you get what you pay for...or less! Sometimes some of us have to contend with a very tight budget, maybe someday I can afford a better belt, but not now. I'm curious as to how thick and/or stiff this belt is and if it might hold up to the occasional use I will give it with an OWB Galco Fletch holster w/Taurus PT99. I did manage to get a pretty good holster but I also need an inexpensive "half way decent" belt....my casual jeans belt is just too flimsy and wimpy! I can get the SB14 for just under $30 bucks from Opticsplanet(I would make sure I add something to get to $30 to obtain free shipping). Any advice or alternative suggestions would be appreciated...but please don't try to talk me into a much more expensive gun belt, I know the importance of a good belt but I just can't afford a really good one right now. Therefore, I must opt for the next best thing. Thanks, David.
    GUNS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM....TOO MANY DUMB LIBERAL SHEEP IS THE PROBLEM.

Sponsor
    I had a hard time trying to find a good budget gun belt for a long time, I tried a 511 tactical leather belt (Reinforced with some plastic material, possibly kydex) I found it to be a bit to stiff for me so never carried with it much. I think they discontinued that model(Bought it on LA Police Gear for $12) . What style of holster are you using? In my experience, a dual clip hybrid holster don't require quite as stiff of a belt as OWB's or single clip IWB's.

That being said, I've not experienced the Galco SB14. another member on this forum found this belt which has served him well and there's a lot of links to lower priced belts on that thread.

New "Gun Belt" for $20

I've found a few belts at similar stores (Cal Ranch and IFA) that were pretty good, especially for the money! They might be worth checking out if there is one near you (Basically farm and ranch supply stores).

Hopefully another member has experienced the Galco and can give you better feedback.

-Clay

Thanks for the info Clay, appreciate it. Yes I saw and read "new gun belt$20" and found it interesting but I would not buy one of those sight unseen and do NOT have a Tractor Supply store near by. I checked our local Fleet Farm and was not impressed with what they had...besides the fact it was all Chineese made. I'm still hoping someone will chime in with knowledge of the Galco SB14 Sportsmans Gun Belt. I am planning on calling Galco next week, but I would prefer outside opinions. I will ask them if they can tell me the leather thickness or oz. weight and also their assurance as to how stiff it is.

Sponsor
    Good choice, Buying site unseen is definitely a bad idea. Even with the same manufacturer and model of belt you can get big differences in leather stiffness, much more so when looking at lower priced single layer belts. If you are interested I know of a saddle maker that will make a great double layer belt for $45.00 shipped. I realize thats above your budget, but if you decide you'd like to try it send me a PM and I'll give you his contact info. I'm looking forward to see if anyone has experienced the SB14 as well.

-Clay

I might also add that Galco has a couple more less expensive belts as follows:
    SB22 Field Grade 7 Hole Sport Belt (single layer)
    WPBI 1880's Pants Belt (double layer sewn)
    Both of the above belts are also less than $30 bucks from Opticsplanet, in fact about $5 bucks less than the SB14. I'd be very interested in hearing from someone about these two belts also.
    Thanks, David.

New toforum..I really like Filson belts..they are making a Double Thick 1.5 belt gos for about $60-$70 last you your life..they are not a gun store just very expensive made in Seattle clothing n "gentelman" richer than me..but the belts pure simple and are the best..old school best..also like Triple K..reasonable and well done for the money...got the "ranger style"...more like 20-40 bucks..Doug

VIP Member
    Check out these Amish belts. They're double thick, excellent quality and reasonable($25-30). I've got one and after 2 years it looks brand new.

Hank's Clothing
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I just got through speaking with Galco customer service. They informed me that the three belts I am interested in are designed to be pants belts only and are NOT designed to be gun belts to handle the weight of a holster and gun! When I look at their web site and the description again for the three belts in question I can now see what they are saying....the descriptions say "pants belt" or "sport belt", although I must say it is NOT made real clear that they are NOT designed as "gun belts". They did say the three belts are much better than dept. store pants belts, but that's about all they could say about those particular belts.
    The three Galco "pants belts" are:
    SB14 Sportsmans Belt
    SB22 Field Grade 7 Hole Sport Belt
    WPB1 1880's Pants Belt
    All three of these belts are under $30 bucks at Opticsplanet, now I see why!
    I guess I will have no good choice in my opinion but to step up to a real "gun belt" for approx, $45-50 bucks w/shipping included. I'll keep hunting for one. I just do NOT want to take a chance on an Amish belt from Hank's sight unseen....not on my budget!!! I can't afford a mistake.
    Thanks again everyone, any further advice in my new price range would be appreciated. Just please don't ask me to spend $60 or more...$50 HAS TO BE MY MAX W/SHIPPING! David.

technoman,

You have PM.
    NRA Member
    Certified Firearms Instructor
    Semper Fi

I just checked my message inbox and I have no new unread messages from anyone?!? Sorry! David.
    I'll check again in a little while in case it just hasn't come through yet.

I have Galco SB2 that is a good belt. I think it was like $60. For the money you cant beat a Wilderness 5-stitch Instructor belt. They are the Cadillac of carry belts IMO for only around $40. Original Instructor Belt
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

I bought the MB-1 Matrix belt for $29.95

It's synthetic but passes for leather. It will support a holster. I've had mine for about a year now, wear it every day and it still looks new.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

The primary design of a “gunbelt” is to impart lateral stability to the belt. This is most useful when wearing a belt holster as opposed to an in the waist band (IWB) type holster.
    Grab a standard belt. Place your thumb and fore finger on opposite edges and squeeze. The belt will usually bend in the middle. The thicker and newer the belt the less it bends. As thick belts age they too will bend. This is an example of a lack of lateral stability. A gun belt doesn’t bend in the middle.
    If the belt bends in the middle, a holstered gun will lean away from the body. This will increase printing and cause it to flap against your body while walking, the bigger the gun the more dramatic the lean. This can happen with an IWB but is much less dramatic.
    Gun belts are typically two pieces of material stitched together to support each other. Sometimes a stiffener of some sort is placed between the two pieces to increase the lateral stability.
    Life is for the living, sleep is for the dead.

I bought a Cabelas double duty belt, double thickness for 19.99 on sale in December. Been using it for 5 months and has been great with anything from my 4003 in a Theis to my M&Pc in a Safariland IWB.

Cabela's: Cabela's Double Duty Belt

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I bought the MB-1 Matrix belt for $29.95

It's synthetic but passes for leather. It will support a holster. I've had mine for about a year now, wear it every day and it still looks new.
    A big +1 for the Galco Matrix belt!
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links