? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers - Page 2

? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

This is a discussion on ? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; sevesteen, Though the clicker press P95 mentioned is use by some of use for cutting patterns (I stiil cut most by hand) the press we ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    sevesteen,
    Though the clicker press P95 mentioned is use by some of use for cutting patterns (I stiil cut most by hand) the press we are referring to for the molding process is a hydraulic press with top and lower plates covered in 1-2 inches of spongy rubber. The wet holster with gun inserted is placed between the two pieces of rubber and pressure is applied. This compresses the leather and initially molds it around the pistol. This is done after the pattern has been cut by hand or on a clicker, and then sewn together. With the clicker press die, a diffrent cookie cutter type die is needed for every pattern and every gun. There is no pattern on the molding press. The sewn-together holster is just inserted in the press and the pressure conforms the rubber into the right places.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Administrator

Thumbs up

A hydraulic press with compressible rubber plates to initially "first form" the leather around the firearm mold. Ingenious idea!

I'm "all for" anything that give the leather a nice precise fit to the firearm.

Things sure have changed a little bit since "way back when" I was doing knife sheaths.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Y'all make it sound easy, but I know there is a lot more than guess work going on here. Cut the pieces too big, or too small and no matter how you press it , it still will not be right. Then there is figuring in the ride height, and setting the cant to the holster. All of this without changing the design of the holster. Then you are figureing how many holsters you can get out of a hide. And then knowing if the hide is even worth using. Yep, sounds real easy to me.

Administrator

AnimalKracker

Agreed.
    Leather work is absolutely an Art Form that dates all the way back to the earliest humans.

We would never have survived the Ice Age without the Leather Workers.
    That is a true fact.

Our Top Makers ARE true artists that have taken their chosen profession of "Leather Working" to an almost unreal level of perfection that has never been seen before in human history. It really is awesome...though I hate to even use the word "awesome" these days.

It's unbelievable to what degree they have elevated the craft.

Hi Guys!
    There seems to be some confusion here. Die cutting is done on a clicker press with clicker or steel rule dies. Once a maker has developed a holster design to the point in which it is ready to go, these dies are then made to order. They are used to cut out the parts at the onset of making a holster.
    Pressing a holster (one of the final steps) is done on a modified bearing press between hard rubber blocks. The holster is then boned, dried, finished and dried again. It is now complete.
    As AnimalKracker pointed out, it is a process full of pitfalls, and it sure ain't easy.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Press, bones, clickers. Man, I'm just using a $1 exacto knife, a hammer/punch, needle/thread, contact cement. For boning, I rough it in with my hands, then use a Craftsman socket edge to bone the leather. I need to catch up with the world. I guess I need to invest a little $$$$$$.
    Last edited by jarhead79; August 8th, 2006 at 09:51 PM.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Yep...like Mark and Gary state, for some the press is used for 'cookie cutting" or using a steel rule dye to cut the holsters shape out. Like Mark does alot of the time, I hand cut every holster I make....no dyes or clicker for me.

I use a very soft natural rubber about 1" on the bottom and a tad more on the top...and use an Arbor Press..or hydraulic bottle jack press. My guess is I put between 3-5 Ton of pressure on the leather to get it to shape...you learn what to do with different designs and weights of leather. A trick is to use paper towels on the holster top and bottom while being pressed...this way it keeps the rubber dry and clean and takes ALOT of moisture from the leather. This speeds up the whole, wait, mold, wait, mold, wait, mold....process.

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Assistant Administrator
    Jar79 - man if that's hand stitiching on the Bersa rig - you have it licked

I did some hand stitching way back making a few rigs and even with a stitch spacing punch and awl etc - still found getting good two needle, double thread work to look that nice was real tricky. Nice job.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    I took my 4-in-1 punch and took out two of the tubes. I make a groove with a stitching wheel, just so I have a line to follow.

It doesn't always come out that good. Sometimes I get off a little..I appreciate the compliment.

That's also my first belt loop experiment. It's way comfy.
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

Administrator
    I'm not patting myself on the back but, I'm really glad that I started this thread because of what you all turned it into.
    A little "behind the scenes look" at what happens BEFORE those beautious holsters arrive/delivered on the front door step.

VERY INTERESTING.

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79
    I took my 4-in-1 punch and took out two of the tubes. I make a groove with a stitching wheel, just so I have a line to follow.

It doesn't always come out that good. Sometimes I get off a little..I appreciate the compliment.

That's also my first belt loop experiment. It's way comfy.
    Nice work there, and I really like the color.

Administrator

Post Just FYI For Jarhead

Jarhead

Have you been interested in doing leather for a long time?
    I just wanted to mention to you that Al Stohlman - The Guru of Leathercraft & Supreme Champion Of Leather Tooling always "hand saddle stitched" every leather item that he ever made. And he made a LOT of stuff.
    He did not own a stitching machine.
    Al (with help from his great loving Wife) was also an incredible saddle maker and every stitch on every saddle that he ever made was hand sewn.
    Just F.Y.I. that the "correctly set up" stitching machines of today produce a beautiful perfect stitch in leather and really speed the stitching process up.
    For all practical purposes Machine Stitching is just as functional and as durable as Hand Saddle Stitching but, it is not BETTER than hand stitching - it's only faster.

Example Of Hand Sewing Work Done by Al Stohlman

You might want to buy a copy of his book (shown Below) - it's not very expensive.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    QK...you're right. A stitcher is not better than hand stitching...a single or double saddle stitch is one of the strongest you can get. But machines are imperative for a professional making a living at this stuff.
    Stitchers range from a 500$ ebay industrial machine that "might actually stitch leather on a good day" to 7000$ machines that make holsters and wash your car at the same time.
    Most of the best, have what are called needle and awl machines or a bottom feed machine. They are the rolls royce of stitchers. I have a top feed machine....like a very very very heavy duty sewing machine.
    It does ok for what I use it for.....but will progress to the bottom feed machine one of these years.
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

QK, you're so right about hand stitching but when the advil bottle empties faster than ever before because your hands ache from hand stitching every day it's time to go to a stitching machine, I'm glad I did!

Jarhead thats a nice holster !!
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

Eric,
    I wish my Randall washed my car, too!!
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links