? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers - Page 3

? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

This is a discussion on ? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I agree - hand stitching (when properly done) is every bit as good as the very best of machine stitching. ( I hand stitched everything ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

I agree - hand stitching (when properly done) is every bit as good as the very best of machine stitching. ( I hand stitched everything that I made for the first two years or so that I was in business - and I've still got the scars to prove it)
    Holstermaking is so incredibly labor intensive that the little bit of help offered by a clicker, and the big bunch of help provided by a good needle-awl stitcher actually makes it possible to earn about the same living as a rookie cop fresh out of the academy - and it only takes 20 grand or so to get started. (What a deal!)
    As ya'll can see - this is truly a labor of love for those of us doing it, and if you do get the "bug", you are screwed for life - nothing else will give you the same feeling of accomplishment and personal fulfilment.
    And now, I've got to head back to the bench for some more "fulfilment" . See ya'll later...

I have commented before, I really enjoy info from the guys who do this-for a hobby, living, or whatever. Thanks to all of you. Finishing hasn't been mentioned much, but when it has, it seems like the most "trying" part. Is the dyeing/clear finish/edging (in whatever order) as trying as the other parts since it is so much handwork? Different hides, lots of the same hide, etc. cause problems with how they "take" a dye? I'm betting your tough job is keeping consistency in raw product because variations can cause problems...or does a good finish cover most evils and really become a normal part of the process?

Gary,
    Only two years of hand stitching? I knew you were a wuss!
    I hand-sticthed for about 5 years, and still do occasionally with certain designs, or with some exotics, (or when I feel my fingers aren't quite callused enough).

Sheepdog,
    I personally find edgeing to be the biggest PITA. Dyeing is a pain at the hobby level when you are trying to do it with a duaber or sheeps wool, but not so bad getting even consistency when you order the dye in bulk and dip-dye in buckets. Color variation can occur from hide to hide though. I usually tell a customer if they think they will want a complete rig of belt, holster, and mag-pouch and want it all to match then order it all at the same time. I can't gurantee a mag-pouch and belt will match a brown or cordovan holster if they are ordered a couple months after the holster is received and cut from a different hide. Not as big an issue with black, which is a more opaque dye.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

[QUOTE=Mark Garrity]Gary,
    Only two years of hand stitching? I knew you were a wuss!
    I hand-sticthed for about 5 years, and still do occasionally with certain designs, or with some exotics, (or when I feel my fingers aren't quite callused enough).

Wuss, huh? Bite me (Actually, this just proves that I smartened up and bought a stitcher sooner than you )

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Ding Ding...and in this corner from the hills of TENNESSEE! ..... Sorry....got off track.

Actually the color/finishing isnt the hardest part..if you do it right.
    Ive spent hours...and I MEAN HOURS on the best holster Ive ever made, only to FUBAR it up by finishing it wrong. So its very critical to the finished product... But its the least labor intensive out of everything.

Most of us vat dye or basically fill a container with dye and just dunk it completely. That way it completely covered, its even in saturation and consistant both inside and out.

Its learning what dye works for your style and leather, what buffing tech. works, what clear to use and how to use it and so on.

IMO, getting the stitching, molding and edges perfect are my biggest challenges.

Shoot well and god bless
    Last edited by Eric Larsen; August 10th, 2006 at 10:17 AM.
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

[QUOTE=Eric Larsen]Ding Ding...and in this corner from the hills of Kentucky.....

Tennessee, Eric, TENNESSEE!

Sponsor

You can see pictures of Tucker wet molding/ boning.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    What do each of you use to "bone" & Wet Mold your respective custom holsters?

Yes, all of you...I want to know.

Unless it is a Highly Guarded Trade Secret that cannot be told to the general population then please PM me & tell me and I'll keep the info to myself.

Pictures would be quite helpful if you can manage it - or an accurate description of the material and specific shapes.

I know that Louis Alessi uses a very old piece of highly polished Whale Bone.

I am asking this question for a specific reason that I'll clue you all in on shortly...if this "little project" that I have in mind for myself pans out.

I promise that I'll share it with all as soon as I get a bit further along with it.
    There's short series on our blog showing Tucker making a simple pancake holster. The series is divided into four posts. The third one is up now and the fourth (coming up in a day or two) shows him wet molding and boning. Tucker hand molds the leather (no hydraulic press) and then he uses different shapes of cocobolo wood for the final boning.

Click the blog URL in my signature.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links