? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

This is a discussion on ? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do each of you use to "bone" & Wet Mold your respective custom holsters? Yes, all of you...I want to know. Unless it is ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

Administrator

Question ? 4 All Of R Forum Top Notch Holster Makers

What do each of you use to "bone" & Wet Mold your respective custom holsters?

Yes, all of you...I want to know.

Unless it is a Highly Guarded Trade Secret that cannot be told to the general population then please PM me & tell me and I'll keep the info to myself.

Pictures would be quite helpful if you can manage it - or an accurate description of the material and specific shapes.

I know that Louis Alessi uses a very old piece of highly polished Whale Bone.

I am asking this question for a specific reason that I'll clue you all in on shortly...if this "little project" that I have in mind for myself pans out.

I promise that I'll share it with all as soon as I get a bit further along with it.

Nothing fancy or secretive here. I use a piece that screws off the end of a fireplace poker that has a round ball on the end. Other objects include hand tools, eating utencils, costume jewelry. What ever looks like it will work for the application.

As far as wet molding, good old fashion fingers and thumbs. Soon I'll upgrade to a press as I am getting up there in years and would like to postpone arthritis for as long as possible.
    Tom Burks

Southern Holsters, LLC Custom Holsters and 2nd Amendment Friendly Auction Site

QKShooter,
    If you were to look on any of our workbenches you would see quite an odd assortment of items (notice I didn't say tools), and wonder "How the hell do they make holsters using this stuff!" It's just an odd assortment of stuff that we have collected and experimented with over the years that works for us. I know from talking to other makers that we are each using something slightly different. I personally use 7 to 8 different hand tools in the molding of a single holster. Some of these were designed for hand-carving and tooling leather, a few are clay sculpting tools bought an art supply shop (wet leather is very much like clay, and I have an art school background so I started using what I was familar with and stuck with it). I have a stainless steel butter knife with a flat rectangular handle that is the perfect size for making the ejection port indent on most semi-autos. I don't recall where I got it, and if I ever lost it I don't know what I would use in place of it. So for me a lot of it has been experimenting with different odd-ball items over the years and just finding what works for me. I think most of us are starting by putting the wet unformed holster with gun inside into a hydraulic press, and getting the initial impression that way (Gary's Service Grade) and then detail molding over that with the various hand tools. As stated above, you can do it without a press. The press just sppeds things up a bit, and alleviates some carpal tunnel if you're doing several at a stretch.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

I'm with Mark on this one, we all have our own assortment of molding tools and still looking for more, but for me the biggest help is the press. I'm always experimenting.
    Politicians are like diapers, they should be changed often and for the same reason. ~ Robin Williams ~
    www.desbiensgunleather.com

I use a piece of bamboo knitting needle about 8 inches long. I would have to look to see the size that it stated on the package but I know it is a little over 1/4" in diameter. It has a rounded point on one end and I cut the other end down so it is about eight inches long and then sanded that end fine. I also use some tools I picked up at Tandy ages ago that look like clay sculpting tools. The press does most of the work. I would listen to Mark, since I don't think anyone gets as much detail in their work as he does.

Sponsor
    Hi Mark,
    I'm 40 miles east of you. I saw this thread and went out to your website.

I'm interested in a crossdraw for the g36, daily carry, not just for the car, but I'd like it with two buttons, not one for more security on the belt.

Any chance of getting something like that from you? Price, pm me if we can discuss this further. I'll give my contact information [ phone] etc and touch base at your convenience.

btw--nice holsters on the site.

Brownie
    The mind is the limiting factor

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpout
    I would listen to Mark, since I don't think anyone gets as much detail in their work as he does.
    Well, thanks, Jumpout!
    Your stuff doesn't look bad either.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr
    Hi Mark,
    I'm 40 miles east of you. I saw this thread and went out to your website.

I'm interested in a crossdraw for the g36, daily carry, not just for the car, but I'd like it with two buttons, not one for more security on the belt.

Any chance of getting something like that from you? Price, pm me if we can discuss this further. I'll give my contact information [ phone] etc and touch base at your convenience.

btw--nice holsters on the site.

Brownie
    I'm in north Phoenix so you may be closer than 40.
    Go to page 2 here and check out the "New Garrity's Gunleather" post by forum member DR-CMG. He has a few pics of a C&D I recently made for his Sig P239. I have redesigned my C&D with two one-way snaps on the rear. This makes it more stable, and allows me to specifically size it to the belt width the customer requests.
    I can also make it with a sewn-closed loop upon request.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well....good question.

Just a note, of all of the world class makers Ive dealt with over the years..this is the one thing that we just use what ever works for us.

Personally Ive spent close to 250-300$ on shaping/molding tools and come back to a 50cent deer horn and a whale bone folder. I found both years ago and if I ever lose/break them...I retire!

Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

Administrator
    Thanks Much Eric & All Above.
    More later.......

Hi Guys!
    I'm pretty much with Mark here - I press mold each holster with about 10-12 tons of hydraulic pressure (we recently changed that from about 6 or so tons) to imprint the basic shape of the firearm into the holster.
    I then begin the process of boning with a series of hand tools - most of which I've made. The only "stock" tools that I use are a Single Creaser and a Modeling Spoon. Everything else I've made for a specific purpose.
    I spend about 10 to 15 minutes on a Service Grade, and a little over an hour, sometimes as much as an hour and a half on a Presentation Grade until it seems "just right".
    I'd love to get my hands on a Whale Bone Folder like Lou uses, but alas, our good tree hugging friends have made that impossible.

Thanks Mark. I'm actually going to let the business kind of fade away. I'm so busy with my real job I don't have the time I would like to spend on customers. I think I'm just going to do a few orders here and there and mostly for the guys at the department. I know I won't quit all together. It's too much fun.

Senior Member Array Eric Larsen's Avatar
    Well...I guess Im with Gary and Mark, I too use a press for the initial shape of the holster. I used to use it for thicker HorseHide, for those of you who have tried to mold it, YOU KNOW WHY! ..but my hands werent in the greatest shape and now use it for every design that it works with.
    Then its off to the horn/bone....Shoot well.
    Jump...thats how I got started, just the other way around..... :D
    Shoot well and god bless
    If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice..........Rush

How do you use a press--Do you need to first make a die or something for each holster style?

Assistant Administrator
    sevesteen - my old leather working buddy - who made bags mainly - made a pattern of cardboard and sent that to the cutter maker.

The cutting part is quite tough steel ground on one edge and that is bent to the profile required, then welded at the join. Bracing pieces are then welded inside of that.

The whole item goes on the leather in the clicker press to cut out the shape in one hit. Most clickers now are hydraulic but older ones use a flywheel and an over-center arrangement powering a beam.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links