anyone use an IWB Mag carrier?

This is a discussion on anyone use an IWB Mag carrier? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd like to hear from people who have actually used an IWB mag carrier. And really interested in hearing about double-stack mags carried this way. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone use an IWB Mag carrier?

anyone use an IWB Mag carrier?

I'd like to hear from people who have actually used an IWB mag carrier. And really interested in hearing about double-stack mags carried this way. Are they comfortable? What position do you carry them? What do you like/dis-like about them?

2. Remove Ads

I just tried one the other night, I was carrying my steyr s9a1 with a double stack m9a1 mag.
    when I got my new remora holster Alan the owner tossed one into my package.
    I carry my gun IWB and while the mag holder fit inside my pants it was tight and uncomfortable.
    this was the first time I tried it so maybe I need to adjust where I placed it. I use it to pocket carry the extra mag

I have worn doubles IWB, but prefer to wear 2 singles. It is easier to position them. With jeans it can be a bit much with an IWB holster also. With suit pants that are sized right, it is very comfortable. It's like anything, you have to take your wardrobe in to account.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

I have one from shielded holsters for my M&P. I need to buy bigger pants to wear it comfortably with my CBST holster. Once I get bigger pants I'm sure it will be fine as when I use it and carry OWB, it's fine.

I carry 1 extra mag for my G19 IWB and have mixed feelings about it. The holster is Kydex and leather with a single belt clip. I still use it depending on what I am wearing and what choice of weapons I carry that day. I think I just need to adjust where I wear the holster and what I wear. Every piece of equipment has its purpose.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

Distinguished Member
    I have some from Comp-Tac. I didn't find them particularly uncomfortable with the right pants and belt loosened but it is definitely hard to get them out should you need them. There isn't much to grab of the mag (just a couple of inches and the base plate) for a quick change.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Cool

I use this one by Side Guard for the extra mag for my Glock 36.

photo.JPG
    click image to enlarge....

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

For my G19/23, I use a Kydex one made by Alabama Holster Co. Usually carry it at 10 o'clock. Getting used to it was about like first trying my CompTac CTAC. After a few days use, it's no big deal.

Yes and No. I carry a spare mag iwb, but without a mag carrier. The mag goes iwb on my off side in the slight depression, against my hip bone at the same forty-five degree angle as the hip bone. It sits behind my cell phone so is difficult to detect and is easily accessible by hooking the bottom lip on the mag with my index finger. Being metal against material rather than leather it comes out without friction. It stays secure and I have never had a problem with it moving around or falling out or down.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

5728475183_b40f13f9a1_o.jpg
    The bottom right is the IWB mag holder I use for my spare when I carry my M&P IWB in an M-tac. (All three items in the picture are made by Lobo Gunleather; and excellent).
    It conceals well at about 8:30, and is fine walking around. I't s a little annoying sitting, but if you slide it back some while doing so, it's fine.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    With my Kahr PM9, the spare mag usually goes in a D.M.Bullard pocket mag pouch. This is to both keep the magazine's innards clean as well as to prevent the rounds from popping out of this particular type of magazine.

With my XDm9 3.8 Compact, I use a Comp-Tac MTAC IWB mag pouch, holding a full-sized magazine with the grip extension attached. I'm practically always in an untucked T-shirt, and I typically find leather to be more comfortable against my skin than the various polymer-plastics.

Comfort? That's relative. Although I will confess to the fact that to me, comfort ranks high among my reasons for owning particular concealed-carry gear, as my strong belief is that if something isn't comfortable, you might not carry it - and if you don't carry it, it's not going to do you much good. Since the odds of my having to actually draw and use my weapon (and its accessories) are low, I'd rather bias my decision towards more comfort, and to train around/through any conflicts, to insure that I'll be carrying.

For example, my main carry rig is a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro. It's superbly comfortable, especially with its full sweat-shield - but that same sweat-shield does get in the way of your thumb during the draw, and it prevents you from getting a good, full combat grip/master-grip on the gun...unless you specifically use your thumb to force the shield out of the way during the draw-stroke. I practiced this so much that I got a blister on the knuckle of my thumb, twice...but there's now a nice little callous there.

For me, I hope and pray that I will never see the day that I need to bring out the extra 19 rounds that I'm carrying on my off-side, specifically for the purpose of needing more ammo. Rather, my carrying the extra magazine is more to ward off the bad-juju of having only one mag in the gun, in case of malfunction. So, I bias things towards comfort so that I will carry that extra mag, but I know I sacrifice speed in accessing the magazine, and I know that as soon as I take that magazine out of the pouch, the lip of the pouch will collapse, both of which, while important, are compromises that I am willing to live with.

If my pants allow it, I have two from Tucker Gunleather. 1 for single stack. 1 for double stack. Worn on weak side at 3:30.

Otherwise, OWB I use either my Blackhawk Kydex or Milt Sparks leather

I have the Crossbreed tuckable IWB dual mag carrier (double stack mags) for my 13rd XD-45 mags. I wear it at about 4 o'clock on my waist (which is my weak side, I'm a lefty). Unfortunately, they failed to extend the leather backing up high enough, so the mags poke your side pretty bad when you sit down. Since I haven't found an IWB mag carrier that properly covers the tops of the mags (actually the bottom of the physical mag of course), I'm re-making the leather backing to the appropriate size since I really like the rest of the setup. youtube has a video review of this carrier indicating the problems (Crossbreed IWB Magazine Pouch Review - YouTube)

Quite honestly, I don't understand why anyone makes an IWB mag carrier that DOESN'T have a leather back to keep the mags from poking your side.

Wearing the IWB holster AND IWB dual mag carrier for double stack mags will require your trousers to be sized at LEAST 1, and probably 2 sizes larger. And don't think you'll get away with tucking your shirt in behind it with this setup, like you MIGHT be able to get away with on JUST the holster. While you can physically tuck it in, the result is a very lumpy-looking backside that is likely to attract attention.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Thanks for that review - it's indeed noteworthy that the CBST does not extend over the baseplates. I find that odd, too, as I know that the leather flap on my MTAC is what makes the deal, for my IWB magazine carry.

Speaking of IWB, I know that many here recommend up-sized pants and/or belt for IWB carry, but I wanted to caution those new to concealed-carry that depending on your particular chosen clothing and belt, as well as your body-type, this may well be a one-or-the-other deal, or may not even require any alterations whatsoever.

As with so much of concealed-carry, a lot of it is unique-individual.

I carry a Glock 19 mag IWB using an Archangel from Dale Fricke. I keep it at about 12:30 with my pistol (also in an Archangel holster) at about 1:00. This set up works quite well for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links