Safariland vs Blackhawk

This is a discussion on Safariland vs Blackhawk within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; FWIW, you are comparing apples and oranges. The SERPA, which I personally like very much and have used for years with no problems, is a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Safariland vs Blackhawk

FWIW, you are comparing apples and oranges. The SERPA, which I personally like very much and have used for years with no problems, is a level II civilian carry holster and the Safariland 6360 is a level III duty holster. They really aren't in the same class.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

I do not like SERPA holsters and will not allow them on my range for live fire exercises. The trigger finger release mechanism is a very poor design and (in my opinion) promotes unsafe muscle memory. I understand budgets, so if the Safariland is more than you can spend, try these guys: Duty Holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries

EDIT: After review of their web site, I noticed the the thumb drive holster is only available for Glocks. Their other duty holsters are less than the Safariland, but not a bunch.

Decided on the 6378. Very similar to the Serpa, but with a thumb release instead of the "shoot myself in the leg release."

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary. View Post
    Decided on the 6378. Very similar to the Serpa, but with a thumb release instead of the "shoot myself in the leg release."

Thanks for all the suggestions!
    I think you'll be very happy with the 6378. I know I am!

Unsafe muscle memory......really.....really....that's a new one......sorry guy's Serpa my way......has been for years with no problems.....

Both the Safariland 6380 and Blackhawk holster are well made holsters and I own both. It has been said the if snow or sand get jambed into the SERPA release it cause it not to be usable to release the gun. How many of you plan to crawl through sand or snow with your holster. Maybe in Alaska or the desert.

The one thing that turns me to the Blackhawk is that it is only 3 3/4" long and much more compact than the Safariland which 5 1/2 inches long. The Blackhawk unit is smaller and easier to conceal, and I mean smaller all the way around (more compact).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links