IWB - just not comfortable enough

This is a discussion on IWB - just not comfortable enough within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just can't get comfortable with any of my IWB holsters. They just poke and prod me all the time with movement that I just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: IWB - just not comfortable enough

IWB - just not comfortable enough

I just can't get comfortable with any of my IWB holsters. They just poke and prod me all the time with movement that I just don't want to wear it. Granted I only wear it around the house because I live in MD, but in the house is when I sit and change positions frequently. I think I'll have to go with a Galco Underwrap or Classic Lite. On the waist is just not comfortable enough for me and I'd rather not just leave it in the nightstand.

2. Remove Ads

look at Home of the Original Remora No Clip Holster
    good inexpensive comfortable holsters, I use them for all of my handguns

What ones do you have? And for what firearms? I keep a PF9 in a Comp-tac CTAC holster and I forget I'm carrying it sometimes.

Now, when wearing sweatpants (or I REALLY need to be sure I don't accidentally flag my pistol) I have one of these:

SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters (though mine is a white older one that was probably cheaper)

My dad gave me one, for use in sweats, but I really had my doubts about how comfortable it would be with a pistol hanging that low by my crotch. Turns out I was wrong. I can carry a Browning hiPower or a full 1911 in it and you don't even notice. I mean, seriously, it works that well.

Now, there is one drawback: I wouldn't wear it with belted pants really because the drawn is from below your belt, and you ain't getting to it easily. But with shorts or sweats it's great (and really the only way to carry in sweats, unless you use a pocket holster like apvbguy showed you.

Are you a small guy? At 6'4 250lbs maybe its easier for me. I love my IWB holster for my XD. I do favor not laying on it but a poke here or there just reminds me it's there.

Holster comfort has everything to do with the quality of the holster. I carry IWB except in the winter when I'm wearing vests, coats, etc.! There are a lot of good holster makers around......find the type you want from a good maker and pay the extra cost....you'll be glad you did. My EDC is a Sig p239 in a TT Gunleather Slim IWB..... By far the most comfortable holster I've ever worn....... a close second going to TT Gunleather(Occidental Leather) Stronghold Phoenix that I carry my Sig p229 in quite often.....for AIWB I use HBE Slim Pro and High Noon Public Secrets for my Glocks and Alessi Talon Plus for p239. I wear the TT Gunleather Slim IWB usually 10-15 hours a day and it never causes me any discomfort and I'm pretty picky about how clothes and gear fit! Being in the Hunting & Fishing Industry for 25 years, I learned along time ago not to buy cheap equipment.....you get what you pay for and after you've replaced the cheap stuff 2 or 3 times, you'll wish you'd bought the good stuff the first time! I learned that lesson the "hard way"! Good Luck....hope you find what works for you!
    Proverbs 3:5-6
    "Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight."

As others have said, a good quality holster makes IWB carry more comfortable. A gun belt adds to that comfort. Have you tried different positions to wear that holster? I find about 4:00 to 4:30 is the most comfortable for me.

I've tried a few different ones and the Crossbread Supertuck is what I'm using now for a j-frame 642. It's the best IWB I've tried but I still have to keep a very straight body position anywhere from 2-5 o'clock. I'm 5'11" 200#. It's always poking me in the ribs and thigh at the same time if I'm not standing or lying straight. I realize I'm being picky and a bit of a baby about it but I don't see a reason not to be either.

Lot's of guy's carry J-frames in their pocket. Have you considered that instead of IWB? ...I prefer pocket carry and do it most of the time with my LCP and CM9.
    Just curious not knowing MD law, but why not just OWB carry? With such a small gun a shirt over it should hide it fine, if it's around the house does it need to be completely concealed anyway?

If it's only around the house, why not switch an OWB...you will find some comfort there.

Perhaps this...http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/12.htm

I have these for several firearms, including my EDC, a Gloc-36. There is a bit more 'freedom'.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Pocket carry is the answer. Better to have a smaller gun with you than a larger one in the safe, etc.

+ 1 for OWB at home where you don't have to conceal it, or at least just have a shirt over it. I carry a M&P 9c in a Raven OWB Phantom, and have one coming for my 9 that will fit with the light on the gun. As well, if you're paying that much for a holster, you have the right to be picky and find a comfortable way to carry.
    Just cause you're paranoid, doesn't mean you're wrong....

VIP Member
    I carry an M&P9c in a single clip no brand leather holster, AND a De Santis cozy partner, both IWB.

YES, you will notice them for the most part, but they shouldn't be painful, mine aren't.

If you were allowed to carry more often,[out everywhere], you probably wouldn't be posing this question, as my nephew carries a FS M&P40 in a CrossBreed and loves it. you would be used to it, and it would just become "a part of you".
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I carried in a Crossbreed for two years until I got a Remora, now the Supertuck sits in a drawer. The Remora is the most comfortable IWB I've ever tried.
    Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side.

OP - I've tried IWB, including two different holsters from Crossbreed, and it doesn't work for me either. With two kids, I do a lot of physical activity, and I just could not get comfortable - not to mention the possibility of flashing the gun or a bump frisk while wrasslin' around with my kids and their friends on play dates.

The most comfortable (and discreet) method I've found is pocket carry. If the revolver is too big, consider one of the small .380s - their small size and light weight make them disappear. I carry two of them (Ruger LCP) all day - from the time I get dressed to when I go to bed.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Remington 870; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    The ONLY time I suffer IWB carry is when I must absolutely appear unarmed when out in public, and the clothing does not allow my usual outside-the-belt rigs. (Milt Sparks PMK or Josh Bulman FDS.) I do not understand the need for such deep concealment inside one's own home. Assuming a secure perimeter, which eliminates the need for a reflexive, fast presentation of the weapon, pocket carry seems a good method, to me. On the street, I believe in 0300 carry in a solid holster, and pocket carry only for a secondary or tertiary weapon, but a pocketed SP101 is a common practice for me at home, with heavier weapons near at hand. If I need to wear a service-sized weapon around the house, I typically wear a Safepacker to contain the weapon.

Just my $0.02.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links