Concealed Carry and the Ostomy

This is a discussion on Concealed Carry and the Ostomy within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; For those who are wondering, after certain types of surgical procedures, a person is left with a new outlet/conduit for urine or fecal matter. That ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Concealed Carry and the Ostomy

Concealed Carry and the Ostomy

For those who are wondering, after certain types of surgical procedures, a person is left with a new outlet/conduit for urine or fecal matter. That outlet is called an ostomy and normally allows for the waste to be collected and contained in an externally attached pouch. Therein can lie a problem. In my case, the ostomy is close to my beltline, so wearing a belt or indeed, wearing anything snug around the waist puts unwanted pressure on it. Also, the attached pounch extends downward from the ostomy, thus making it doubley impractical to belts, jeans, slacks, etc., as they would restrict flow into the pouch. This leaves me with the option of wearing bib overalls (not unusual here on the ranch!) or flight suits (which I have used for over 40 years anyway!)

Without a belt or even jeans/slacks to hold my holster, I am restricted to wearing a shoulder rig, one without the requirement of being tied down to a belt at the bottom. Actually, I have worn a shoulder rig most of the time for over 20 years anyway, so it is no big deal to me. Since my rig can no longer be tied down to a belt, however, I now use a Galco Jackass rig for my Para-X-LTX and really find it comfortable and effective.

Now, I know that among the 155,000+ members here there must be a few others with ostomies. I'd be very interested in hearing your stories and how you've adjusted to meet your particular condition. If you'd rather not post here, don't hesitate to send a PM.
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

2. Remove Ads

I don't have one, but if I'm ever "made" by the sheep while carrying; "...that's my colostomy bag" will be my reply.
    Hopefully, that will be the end of the encounter, unless I have to explain what "it" is.

Don't have one myself, but it sounds like you have found a good solution. Off the top of my head it seems like maybe a Smart Carry would work as well? Only other option I can think of is ankle carry, but as a back up role.

Seems to me that a plain ole' fanny pack would work just fine.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

What about your options for pocket carry? I know you don't do the jeans / slacks thing but whatever it is, is that an option? Maybe you don't have the right gun for it? If not, that's your ticket to get another one.

Other than that, I really like the shoulder rig anyway as an ankle holster is probably out too.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Before I retired from EMS I had a frequent flyer (four trips a week) to the VA Hospital that had concealed carry. He had his wife sew pockets inside his shirts that he put a holster in. It's been about 15 years but I believe he carried a 380 like that everywhere he went.

Another member here wears bib overalls & a belly band... that may well be an option... No clue if he has any surgical reasons...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

I suffered an injury to the tendon that runs from the outside front of my right hip to the pubic bone about a year and a half ago. On doctors orders I haven't been able to wear a belt since. My solution, I use suspenders to keep up my pants and I pocket carry. I tried carrying my G26 but the pants kept heading for the floor. I now carry a Taurus TCP 738. Nice and light!

I also have used a UTG messenger bag when I'm going to the dog park or a similar outdoor activity. It has a place for a holster that I can carry my Glock in. Think Maxpedition Versipak at a much lower price.
    Question Everything!

when i wear my bibs, which is alot of the time, i carry my ruger lcr in the right front pocket

Jermedic: I believe the Smart Carry is a belt-type holster worn under the shirt. Again, anything snug around the waist will either will cause undue pressure on the ostomy itself or restriction to the pouch.

retsupt99: do they make a fanny pack that doesn't attach to/with a belt?

357 an 40: same problem. A belly band is not something I could wear.

GreyGhost: That UGT bag looks huge and bulky. Probably okay for your use in the park, but I'm looking for the best way to carry day in and day out, including while driving.

cattusvr: I typically do wear a shirt to cover the shoulder holster. No real reason to sew holster pockets into them.

mprp and paulie: Hmmmm - pocket carry might work, though I would miss my 1911! I used to have a crew member that wore bibs and carried a pocket piece. paulie, I take it you would suggest/recommend the Ruger LCR wheel-gun. Mprp, I really like the fact I could use this as an excuse to buy another gun! What would you recommend and why? Oh, and I did carry an ankle gun as a back-up to my back-up, but it just take too long to get at it...and I'm gettin' to be an old guy that would have problems trying to kneel on one knee in a hurry! LOL!

Thanks to everyone so far for your input here!
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    I seem to remember something about a chest rig type of concealment I read about somewhere that was designed exclusively for Bib-overalls. Let me do some research and I'll post back if I can find something. Also a small Koala Carry or Maxpedition type pack may work, (fanny pack that straps over the shoulder type of deal).

Have you considered suspenders?
    They would work well with a pocket carry LCR or LCP.
    Not sure if they'd work with an IWB holster as it would pull your waist band down on that side.
    The views expressed above are the opinion of the poster and may or may not be total bunk.
    Viewer discretion is advised.

You might also try something like a concealment tee shirt. I have several good ones (there is a wide range of quality out there) but I don't think the company is in business any longer.

You want one that is somewhat snug so things don't move around. Also keep in mind the lighter the firearm, the less it will want to move.

A quick search turned up this one:

ConcealmentT ~ Concealed Weapon T-Shirt Holster

I don't know anything about them, but that gives you an idea what I'm talking about.

You would probably need to cut out a portion or cut off the bottom to accommodate your bag, but it should still work.

Not sure what side your bag is on, but you probably want to keep the firearm on the other side so it won't bump the bag. This might force you to cross-draw with your weak hand, but it might be better than nothing.

The upside is that they are very secure and very well concealed. The downside is it can be uncomfortable to have the extra layer in hot weather.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by WileyP View Post
    [SIZE=3][FONT=Verdana]Jermedic: I believe the Smart Carry is a belt-type holster worn under the shirt. Again, anything snug around the waist will either will cause undue pressure on the ostomy itself or restriction to the pouch.
    I kinda agree that the smart carry might work. I've not had one, however my dad had one for a while(Chrones disease), and a good friend of ours currently has one. His however is higher up, and as a result he is carrying with a standard rig at the moment.

The smartcarry or any of those rigs can ride fairly low(at least the ways I've used them), and I think you could put the actual attachment strap behind the bag rather than in front of it, that way it wouldn't constrict the flow. They seem to work with allot of clothing options, however the drawback in my opinion is speed in most cases, however I can see with bib's that you might be able to reach in through the side and make a decent presentation out of one.

Just my 2 cents of course, might be an option for ya;)

Luke
    I am the owner/proprietor of www.adamsholsters.com Custom holsters made for you. To contact me please use E-mail rather than Private Messages, luke@adamsholsters.com

I wear a Tanker holster under my bibs sometimes. It's was made for the 1911 anyway and hides well under the bibs.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links