carrying extra mags

This is a discussion on carrying extra mags within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How many of you carry extra magazines? I am debating switching my carry weapon to something of lower capacity and I do not feel comfortable ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: carrying extra mags

carrying extra mags

How many of you carry extra magazines? I am debating switching my carry weapon to something of lower capacity and I do not feel comfortable carrying with out extra mags. I am not super concerned with mags printing but more so with comfort. Any suggestions would be great, I am not really interested in the idea of carrying mags in the waistband as I already carry my pistol inside and I feel that would just become a little too obtrusive. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on this topic but I would really like some fresh takes on the matter, the weapon in question/mags are for a G36. Thanks!

Esq.

2. Remove Ads

I carry a spare G19 mag OWB at about 8:00, my G19 is IWB at 4:00. I use a case that looks like it has a knife or multitool inside of it.
    ConcealedG30 likes this.

Conventional wisdom for spare mags: generally used in case of a mag malfunction, not just ammo. One is none, two is one. Either a spare mag or a BUG...
    TSiWRX, RMS and TN_Mike like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

What SIGguy said. The most likely cause of an autoloading pistol's malfunction is its magazine.
    TN_Mike likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I agree completely with both of you gents, again, not only capacity but gear malfunction as well leads me to want to carry at least 1 extra mag.

I have two in the car, and two on my person
    U/315
    KY Concealed Carry Instructor
    Taser X2/X26 Instructor
    "It is the tradition that a Kentuckian never runs. He does not have to…[he] is entitled to stand his ground, and meet any (life-threatening) attack made upon him with a deadly weapon…." Gibson v. KY, 34SW936(Ky.1931)

I always carry two extra mags or two speed strips (when carrying a wheel gun). I agree with everyone on the malfunction aspect, but also, alot of us carry because we want to be prepared for an unknown situation...I like to have as much ammo as reasonably possible, just in case.
    "Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."

"You can say 'stop' or 'alto' or use any other word you think will work but I've found that a
    large bore muzzle pointed at someone's head is pretty much the universal language."

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Conventional wisdom for spare mags: generally used in case of a mag malfunction, not just ammo. One is none, two is one. Either a spare mag or a BUG...
    Yeah this hits it on the head. Capacity isn't your main worry, most defensive shootings involve what, 3 or 4 rounds? It's mag failure. It's also why I like having a pistol (M&P 40c) that will at least fire the one in the chamber regardless of what's going on with the magazine.
    "Be justified. Blood may be easily wiped from the sword.
    It cannot, however, be put back from where it came." --Quicksabre

I certainly won't argue with the above advice, as it is correct. However, I normally only grab my pistol on the run out the door and hope for the best. Sort of lazy I guess and don't want to completely gear up for quick trips somewhere. I hope it never catches up with me. Hate to use my .45 as a club!

I carry a spare mag whether I'm carrying a Sig 239 or a larger capacity Sig 229. As others have said, my reasoning is more to deal with a mag-related malfunction than the piece of mind of having extra ammo (not that it hurts to have a little more ammunition on board).

I carry my 1911 with 8+1 and then a spare 8 round mag which I typically just toss in one of my leg pockets on my cargo shorts. I'm not a cop, nor do I intend to use my weapon to "fight crime" so the likely hood of ever needing more than one spare mag is low enough that I feel ok just carrying one mag.

Always carry at least one extra mag (except in the two extra mag towns of Jax or Orlando)...for malfunctions, not for more ammo.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

JD
    Administrator
    While I regularly carry a 1911 (8+1) and do carry a spare magazine, that spare mag will never make up for having more in the gun to begin with. Even when I do carry larger capacity firearms, I still make an effort to carry a spare mag. If you're going to go through the hassle of concealing a firearm, you might as well have an extra mag as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    I carry a spare G19 mag OWB at about 8:00, my G19 is IWB at 4:00. I use a case that looks like it has a knife or multitool inside of it.
    SpencerB you the man!!! I do the same when I'm not carrying a mult-itool. When I carry my multi-tool I get creative. I use some IWB holsters & sometimes put'em in the old trusty pocket.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I do not carry and extra mag when carrying my G-19 or G-23.

When carrying the G-36 or SP-101 I always have an extra reload.

When carrying any of the above firearms I always carry my Diamondback .380 BUG.

OS
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links