Versa Carry. - Page 3

Versa Carry.

This is a discussion on Versa Carry. within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bombsaway ...HOW is this better than a good, old fashioned IWB leather or Kydex holster that can be put on and taken ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Versa Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombsaway View Post
    ...HOW is this better than a good, old fashioned IWB leather or Kydex holster that can be put on and taken off just as easily?
    It isn't...

Mexican carry is a good way to hurt yourself & others. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of urological visits after blowing off a testicle due to not having your trigger covered and it snagging on your waistband while trying to seat your firearm into your waistband...
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Sorry, I'm just not getting the point. HOW is this better than a good, old fashioned IWB leather or Kydex holster that can be put on and taken off just as easily?

Mexican carry and carrying without a round in the chamber are two very bad ideas that can get you seriously injured or killed.
    So carry one in the chamber...

Quote Originally Posted by ak74 View Post
    So carry one in the chamber...
    I have your permission? Thanks, man.

I have your permission? Thanks, man.
    I take it back. YOU can't carry one in the chamber. And you are restriced to a 22lr revolver only.
    kerberos likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    It isn't...

Mexican carry is a good way to hurt yourself & others. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of urological visits after blowing off a testicle due to not having your trigger covered and it snagging on your waistband while trying to seat your firearm into your waistband...
    If you can put your pants on by yourself, you can easily place a J-frame IWB without hurting yourself. Unlike the guy who recently shot himself in the leg trying to put his gun in his IWB holster while seated. Most people including me used to carry the J-frame behind the right hip, in a palm-out draw position. Yes, an ounce of prevention is worth a five pounds of IWB holsters in a holster box that don't fit right. Just saying....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

I got my 9mm medium model in this morning and have been wearing it today.
    Nicely made, fits my gun and belt well. Very easy on and off.
    I always wear an under shirt and it is quite confortable, there is enough room in the clip on a 1 1/2 belt for the gun to have a slight cant and it conceals and fits fine at 3 to 3:30.
    I am using it with a Glock 19 with a NY1 trigger spring.

I am sure most Glock users will hate that it does not cover the trigger, and would never use it for that reason. To each his own, with my gun and set up, I feel it is safe with the 8 pound trigger pull. I have often carried revolvers using hip grips and clip draws, and see don’t find it an issue.
    Definitely not for everyone, and I will still use my standard IWB, but it is a nice option to have. I can’t carry in the office, so have to un holster and re holster several times a day, with the proper caution, it works great for that.

No trigger guard and reholstering could be a problem. At first glance....cool, convenient.....but it's a no for me.

Uncovered trigger problem aside, the gun has no protection from a sweaty body and with a gun pressed up against our skin, we are going to sweat. This means that at the end of the day, that gun is, at the very least, going to need to be field stripped, wiped down and have a coating of oil applied. Looks like too much work for me. I'm happy at the end of the day just to remove my gun from the holster, wipe it down with a silicon impregnated cloth and put in on its night stand holder. I don't want to spend time field stripping a gun I haven't shot.
    45Gunner
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Gold Seal CFI
    1st Air Cav Vietnam Veteran

Count me among those who will pass on this method of carry. This contraption and a Glock are an ND waiting to happen.
    An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life. - Robert A. Heinlein

Administrator
    Attempting to be objective here without the usual and always present auto-obligatory "Trigger Guard Not Covered No Thanks!" postings.

Well..........used with a Stainless Steel...all sharp edges melted...semi-automatic firearm that sported a stiff, properly functioning "thumb safety" and "grip safety" - it would be OK & I couldn't see it causing any real heartache used with a Stainless wheelie that sported a very heavy DA trigger especially when worn behind the hip.

Otherwise I think that it could potentially cause some concerns - safety and otherwise and for certain with blued steel firearm rusting due to body sweat issues.

So...Examples: - probably OK with a smoothed up...melted...Stainless Walther PPK/S or smaller, melted, Stainless Colt 1911 pattern pistol with properly functioning external safeties which serve to physically block the trigger and hammer.

But, bottom line unless the firearms are fully "melted" AKA all sharp edges and points removed I think carry would be rather jabbing and uncomfortable which could lead to firearm fidgeting and that could be somewhat hazardous.

I should add that personally it would not be for me. I have known undercover dicks that would just pop a "J-BUG" into the waistband "small of back" and it would certainly be more secure than that.
    Absolutely when reholstering I would take the unit off the belt - insert the firearm & then reinstall it on the body.

No trigger guard and reholstering could be a problem.
    Actually, OK Shooter has the right take on this holster system. My Versacarry arrived yesterday and I tried it out with the intended carry weapon - Ruger LC9.

Let's look at the pros and cons, as mentioned above.

Protection of firearm: I usually wear an undershirt, so "slide on skin" contact isn't an issue. No problem there.

Protection of body: The LC9 is all rounded edges, so it's extremely comfortable.

Safety: The lack of trigger guard is a valid concern. The LC9 has a manual safety (which I put "on" if using this holster, "off" with a regular IWB or OWB holster). Also, the LC9 has a long, firm trigger pull. I would not use this holster with the SR9c, which has a super-light trigger.

Reholstering: The instructions that come with the Versacarry explicitly state that you should remove the holster and re-attach the firearm to reholster.

Comfort: Extremely comfortable.

Concealment: Excellent.

Overall, my assessment is that this is an option worth having if your gun fits the profile described above. It's a special situation holster - it won't replace your other systems, just add to your choices. Glock owners? No, not for you.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I have used a Versa Carry for my LC9 with Crimson Trace LG412 for some time now and I agree with Shockwave. It is a very comfortable, concealable, and versatile. This method of carry is quite safe for an LC9. I am confident with the safety features and lines of the LC9 and carry it in the Versa Carry with one in the chamber. It may not be a good choice for every firearm and personal situation, but I think is a great carry option.

VIP Member
    I had a exposed trigger shoulder rig and tossed it in the trash. Then I dug it out and cut it to pieces and trashed it again.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

At first it looked appealing, but it isn't for me. Besides the uncovered trigger, there is the issue of sweat and rust. My grandkids are over all the time. I have no problems wearing my guns around them using my current holsters, but would with the Versa Carry.

Quote Originally Posted by twc View Post
    Where was I asking anyone anything? Reading > A lot of people on this board. I'm not even looking to buy one I pocket carry. I just posted it up so others could see but apparently its a hand grenade without a pin
    TWC, Thanks for posting. I think we are always on the lookout for new and innovative stuff to enhance our firearm lifestyle. As with you and the others, I think I'll pass on this one.

By the way, I've had good results with Oxy Clean and use it often.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links