Belt or shoulder holster?

This is a discussion on Belt or shoulder holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by QKShooter Now that you have tried out the "inexpensive" shoulder rig enough to know that it is the mode of carry and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Belt or shoulder holster?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Now that you have tried out the "inexpensive" shoulder rig enough to know that it is the mode of carry and carry location that seems to work best for you...invest in a better shoulder holster.

Take a look at the ALESSI BODYGUARD shoulder holsters.

Just about ready to pick one of these up for my 1911 too. Thanks for posting, can't wait for mine!

OP, you can get a good IWB or OWB holster for under $100 if you look. I have a Don Hume 721 OT OWB for my 1911 that I love and paid $45 for. I also have a Galco King Tuck which was $59.95. Both are quality items and do allow for sitting in a car comfortably, along with safe carrying.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    [...]
    So I got a very, very, very inexpensive shoulder holster. Took A LOT of adjusting and some sewing by wifie. OK now.
    [...]
    I'm seriously considering getting a shoulder holster for my new Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm 1911 (full size, all steel, 39oz empty).

What did you get? And how and why did you modify it?

Any info much appreciated.

VIP Member
    Who doesn’t like a quality shoulder rig! The only downside for me is that I hate wearing an overgarment to hide the darn thing when I get to where I’m going. Still, I was looking at some earlier today, so maybe we’re in the pre-winter mindset.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFontenot View Post
    I'm seriously considering getting a shoulder holster for my new Kimber Eclipse Custom II 10mm 1911 (full size, all steel, 39oz empty).

What did you get? And how and why did you modify it?

Any info much appreciated.
    Try here Air guns, BB Guns, Pellet Guns and Air Rifles from Crosman, Gamo, Walther and Beeman - PyramydAir.com and here U.S. Cavalry - Proudly Serving Military and Law Enforcement Professionals but be advised that I probably won't go that route. They're made for large people, and I'm no more than medium after a full meal. My wife did some shortening and sewing - it's a trial and error thing.

I'll be trying out various belt holster provided by a very generous individual just for the purposes of trying them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam42 View Post
    Have both, use both, belt in summer, shoulder in winter.
    Couldn't be better said

Depends on the situation. I use both. I last used my shoulder holster.

All I'm going to do is echo just about everyone else: A good, quality holster will give you what you need, whether it is a belt or a shoulder model. There are numerous belt models that work just fine when seated or driving, but you don't get that kind of engineering and quality at 6-for-a-buck. All in all, there are arguments for and against any kind of holster. If you are going to carry, you will have to compromise somewhere...whether it is when you are seated on the commode or whatever.
    "You cannot get the water to clear up until you get the pigs out of the creek." - An old West Virginia Hillbilly saying

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck."

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    I use IWB most often followed by OWB then my shoulder rig.

One style is'ent better than another, they all have there place.

As others have shared their choices and methods, I'm sure by now you get the idea that there's no such thing as one holster fits all. And the same goes for a carry gun. I have my primary carry and several holsters for it to suit my dress or situations. For most folks, it'll be trial and error until the right holster is found. I really don't dress for the gun, but rather use the holster that fits my mode of dress. Obviously, I have a few holsters that allow me to do that....duty holster, shoulder holster, IWB and IWB tuckable, pancake style etc. These forums are great to get some ideas of what's out there and what you may be interested in to narrow your search.

As for me, leather is the only material I use(except tuckable) and affordable is another good thing. I found a decent IWB holster could be had locally without a long wait time and priced fairly. Keep in mind that these holsters are a very personal item and must me your criteria for your mode of carry and type of situation. Good luck on your quest and hopefully you find "THE" holster!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links