Oh no. Not another "what holster should I get" question

This is a discussion on Oh no. Not another "what holster should I get" question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am all but ready to buy a Walther PPS but I need a holster. Did a search and found this this thread but not ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SIGguy229
  • 1 Post By JD

Thread: Oh no. Not another "what holster should I get" question

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Oh no. Not another "what holster should I get" question

I am all but ready to buy a Walther PPS but I need a holster. Did a search and found this this thread but not happy with those.

I was carrying a Glock 26 in a Comp-tac Minotar, but the goal is to reduce weight and bulk. I was looking at the

Desantis Sof-tuck
    Desantis Insider
    Galco Skyops

Anyone have any experience with these or suggest any others?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    I am all but ready to buy a Walther PPS but I need a holster. Did a search and found this this thread but not happy with those.

I was carrying a Glock 26 in a Comp-tac Minotar, but the goal is to reduce weight and bulk. I was looking at the

Desantis Sof-tuck
    Desantis Insider
    Galco Skyops

Anyone have any experience with these or suggest any others?
    All three of those are crap, of the crap, I'd probably go with the Insider.

Check out High Noon, these are of a little better construction. Avoid funky attachment arms and pivot points etc.

Bare Asset

Upper Cut

cj
    If you want minimalist, how about the FIST kydex versions of their leather? Those start getting you about as minimal as I'd want to go.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    All three of those are crap, of the crap, I'd probably go with the Insider.

Check out High Noon, these are of a little better construction. Avoid funky attachment arms and pivot points etc.

Bare Asset

Upper Cut

JD, the Desantis is crap??? Really.

I actually have the Bare Asset. I like the holster but I have a 1 3/4" belt and the clip is like 2 1/4" which creates a lot of slack. Looking for a smaller/tighter clip.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

How about a UBG holster from Nate at www.ubgholsters.com
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Try HaysHolsters. Jeff is a sponsor & a great guy with which to do business!
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

If you want a Grab & Go holster for a small gun, I recommend Remora no clip. I use one with my single stack 9mm. Its perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by rigel42 View Post
    If you want a Grab & Go holster for a small gun, I recommend Remora no clip. I use one with my single stack 9mm. Its perfect.
    This. For me it's either my MTAC or my Remora, depending on whether I feel like using a fuller clip/belt system or just grab and go.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    JD, the Desantis is crap??? Really.

I actually have the Bare Asset. I like the holster but I have a 1 3/4" belt and the clip is like 2 1/4" which creates a lot of slack. Looking for a smaller/tighter clip.
    I've had several DeSantis Products, some of their full grain leather holsters are OK some of their other stuff isn't, but lets look at what you listed.

Look at the area around the top of the holster near where the trigger guard meets the frame, it doesn't look too sturdy and "soft, no-slip suede" If that's the stuff I think it is, it's paper thin. Yes it's less bulk, but it's flimsy.

Then there's that mounting attachment, what about that is less bulky? Screws, plastic arms, extra leather at the base??

As for the clip on the bare asset, I'm sure with some ingenuity you could make it work or even just change the clip. Personally, I like molded holsters as opposed to "X" size fits "Y" and I don't like clips.

I really like my Desibens IWB #4 for a "minimal" holster, and the above mentioned UBG offerinces such as the Becket and Nassar are also good options.

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    For the type of IWB rig you are looking at I like Bruce Nelson's classic design as built by Milt Sparks - Summer Special II and High Noon - Down Under. There are plenty of companies doing the same rig, namely Galco's Royal Guard, El Paso Saddlery's Summer Cruiser, Kramer's #2, etc. Basically it's a canted IWB rig with two belt loops that snap for easy removal, a reinforced mouth and a slide/sweat shield. I own six or so from different companies that are fitted to different guns, but the first two listed are my favorites.

I have the Desantis Sof-Tuck for my Glock 26 and it isn't too bad, but the hook at the bottom is too narrow for my gun belt. I really think I need a Fist holster with the forward cant, but I didn't want to wait on one to be made.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

Links