Self-supporting waist-level holster options?

This is a discussion on Self-supporting waist-level holster options? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm fortunate enough to spend a great deal of time in...shall we say...comfortable clothing, typically without belt loops or a belt being feasible. I'm curious ...

Thread: Self-supporting waist-level holster options?

cj [OP]

I'm fortunate enough to spend a great deal of time in...shall we say...comfortable clothing, typically without belt loops or a belt being feasible. I'm curious about options for holsters that can hold their own weight without relying on external forces (such as a belt), but can still carry in a waistband position (3-4 o'clock), so not looking for shoulder holsters.

What I'm aware of at this point that can accomplish this are:

TactiPac FusionPac
    SmartCarry/TunderWear style (which can be twisted around to the side if you really want to)
    The PistolWear line of holsters
    A million variants of the belly band

My preference would be something that would hold enough shape for a single-handed re-holstering.

Is there anything else out that that I should be looking at?

A reinforced top Remora?

Or at times when I'm outside working on some things with cotton shorts on ... I put the holster on a nylon belt and put it on, then put on the shorts over it. Works great. Simple and easy, and no one knows it's there.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

The Tactipac Fusionpac looks interesting. Too bad there's not enough info on their website. I have a SmartCarry and it works pretty good but I find that it has somewhat limited applications and prefer to carry on my side and not in front. I'm not a fan of cross draw so the pistolwear holster wouldn't work for me either.

I guess I'm not much help. I've been looking for something similar for a while and haven't found it yet.
    Question Everything!

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    You're looking for an elusive creature. I am interested to see if you find it. You know, they say necessity is the mother of invention...
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

When I wear my sweat shorts I usually just wear a belt and my OWB holster UNDER my shorts. Pulling them up over the gun so it functions like an IWB. Works great, but if you saw it without the cover garments, you would laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    The Tactipac Fusionpac looks interesting. Too bad there's not enough info on their website. I have a SmartCarry and it works pretty good but I find that it has somewhat limited applications and prefer to carry on my side and not in front. I'm not a fan of cross draw so the pistolwear holster wouldn't work for me either.

I guess I'm not much help. I've been looking for something similar for a while and haven't found it yet.
    I sent off an email to these folks and got a pretty quick reply considering it's a holiday weekend. The fusionpac holster is $79.95 with free shipping. 14 day trial period. you can return in 14 days and get full refund minus shipping charges. Also is 1 year manufacturers warranty.

This looks like an interesting product. I'm not sure I'll order but it is a possibility.
    Question Everything!

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    I sent off an email to these folks and got a pretty quick reply considering it's a holiday weekend. The fusionpac holster is $79.95 with free shipping. 14 day trial period. you can return in 14 days and get full refund minus shipping charges. Also is 1 year manufacturers warranty.

This looks like an interesting product. I'm not sure I'll order but it is a possibility.
    Thanks for the info, I was looking at it to. Looks interesting...
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

sgb
    The FusionPac looks like the best option
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

cj [OP]
    Thanks for the ideas and discussion. I've been looking for an excuse to try a reinforced Remora but figured my loose-waisted pants/shorts might not be enough to hold it in place, but reading more about that, it's worth a shot.

The FusionPac has my interest, but there's such limited information, and the price seems a bit on the high side for what looks a bit like a SuperTuck with materials that look less expensive than leather, and an elastic band sewn on...In fact taking a crossbreed-style holster and running a wide elastic band through it might be worth trying for me.

cj [OP]
    Ok, I found my solution for now. I happened to have picked up a DeSantis Hot Jox on clearance in the past, but never liked it as much as my SmartCarry...BUT it holds up other holsters well enough for the purpose described here. My Crossbreed on it results in a decent enough solution for concealed pajama carry, and a paddle holster on it is quick to throw on. I wouldn't want to run a marathon with it on, but for around the house, it works pretty well.

I'd imagine the SmartCarry would work just as well, so perhaps it's a good excuse to pick one up if you don't have one...

I'll still try out a Remora soon as well, but this solution saved some money, and comparing the cost to some other options, I feel it's 2 holsters for less than a single new one would have cost.

VIP Member
    Without knowing the type and weight of the gun its anyones' guess. If my pants run tight enough then I can use my Alessi Deep Cover IWB holster. The clip is designed to fasten to the waistband vs. the belt.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    The Tactipac looks like a SmartCarry worn at the 3:30 position, nothing more....
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

It's a little different than the smart carry, it has a kydex body which will cant the pistol which aids considerably in concealment. I got the same basic effect by taking a Galco Concealable OWB holster and combining it with a 5.11 Nylon belt with a nylon buckle. The benefit to using a nylon belt and OWB holster is that you can change holsters for different guns. This is in my opinion the most concealable way to carry IWB. I fought with clips and velcro clips and belts for a year and a half before it finally dawned on me. Now I can tuck my shirt all the way in all the way around and I have absolutely no worry about clips showing on my beltline. Retention is excellent and so is comfort. The nylon belt is so thin you don't even notice it but it's still plenty stiff to support my P239. I also use a belt on my pants which just snugs it up even more. When you drop your pants in the bathrooom stall, the gun stays around your waist. I'll try and take some pics and put them up in the how do you carry sticky thread tonight.

I have been chasing this dog for years, and I still don't have it perfect. Kangaroo, Pistolwear, Smartcarry, I have them all, plus a bunch more. The Tactipac looks interesting, but that monster foam pad is going to get plenty hot in soFlo, I can promise you. But then again everything does. Just might try it...Whiteox, your solution is ingenious, I can picture it and I have no doubt it works...
    "Some men, you just can't reach"

Sponsored Links