CBST Skin Issues

CBST Skin Issues

This is a discussion on CBST Skin Issues within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been carrying in a CBST for a few months now. I've noticed after a month or so that I've been getting a ton of ...

Thread: CBST Skin Issues

CBST Skin Issues

I've been carrying in a CBST for a few months now. I've noticed after a month or so that I've been getting a ton of zits/pimples in the area where my holster has been (3:30-4:00). Almost always, I have an undershirt on and do wear boxer-briefs.
    Now this isn't this biggest deal, but being fairly young (27), and in a relationship, it does make my lady ask what is going on and isn't a pleasant sight.
    Have any of you expierenced this? If so, any reccomendations to fix this problem?

Thanks in advance.

Sweat, and lots of it is what is going on. Your human hide is pressed against tanned and sealed cowhide. Even with your shorts as a buffer, that portion of your skin cannot breathe very well. As a result it gets hot and sweaty, even if the rest of you is not. A reaction to the leather would look different than what you described. I imagine the leather is plenty damp when you take it off. I would try putting baby powder on your hide before you gear up. Something to help keep things less damp.

Gold bond medicated powder...holster rash....soaps infused with melaluca/tea tree oil works for me( anti bac/fungal ).....luck

About once or twice a month in the summer I scrub the backside of my CBST with 10% bleach/water solution followed by some stiff bristle brushing with some Tide detergent. This seems to get the oils from my skin out of the leather and it gets sanitized at the same time. Once air dried, I take a wire brush to roughen back up the backside to get the rough texture back. As long as I don't let the surface of the leather that's against my skin get too funked up between cleanings, I hardly see any pimples or sweat bumps.

I haven't had that issue and I also wear an undershirt. I'm curious though, do you have the cowhide or horsehide version?
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I've read that one can apply moleskin to the holster and it is supposed to breath. I carry a Kydex shelled (leather Lined) IWB and find the Kydex feels cool and doesn't cause issues. If leather it absolutely would as I cannot even wear my Perry suspenders without an undershirt because the leather patch on the back sweats and itches something really bad.

HORSEHIDE I believe $15 more from Crossbreed making your total about $95. I have never had any issue with skin irratation whatsoever. Tommy Theis Horsehide Holster about $50 bucks shipped to your door one again never had any skin issues.

Now the horse I'm wearing I believe may feel differently.

By the way I am a Sweating Beast. Not many sweat like I do.
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I have the same issue, but it is eczema. I'm terribly allergic to metals, including the metal rivets on the holster. On my "to-do" list is get to Tandy Leather for leather glue to glue deer skin on the backside of the holster, the side toward my skin. A tank top between holster and skin works well, but sometimes just isn't feasible, or is just too hot to wear 2 shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I haven't had that issue and I also wear an undershirt. I'm curious though, do you have the cowhide or horsehide version?
    Just what I was thinking...I have the horsehide and have never had an issue...

VR,
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by Whitewookie View Post
    Just what I was thinking...I have the horsehide and have never had an issue...

VR,
    Harold
    It is the cowhide. I should've just sprung the extra loot for the horse hide. I will try some gold bond for now. I am getting a new pistol soon anyway, my handle on xdm prints too much for me not to worry about. Thanks for the advice, chaps;)

Sponsored Links