What good are J hooks?

This is a discussion on What good are J hooks? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the point of a good belt is to support the holster, don't J hooks sort of defeat that purpose, as there is no place ...

Thread: What good are J hooks?

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

What good are J hooks?

If the point of a good belt is to support the holster, don't J hooks sort of defeat that purpose, as there is no place for the hook to attack to the top of the belt? Wouldn't a C hook/clamp be more better?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

2. Remove Ads

From my understanding the idea of the J hook is for better concealment of your hosters clips(don't notice bulky over the belt holster clips). The other reason for J hooks is they grab the belt so when you draw you don't pull the holster out of your waistband too. I like you don't understand how a good belt can help with J clips. I guess you just pull the belt tight and buckle up?
    Anticipation of Death is Worse Than Death Itself.
    Psalm 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God;

I think the j-hook design is to better hide the hook itself. The hook goes over your pant and behind the belt so you still have the belts retention and the hooks catches the bottom of your belt to keep it secure if you have to draw. Maybe it's more cosmetic than anything else but the j-hooks do have a following.

Yeah, but it's a pain when the j hooks on my holster are too small for my heavy gun belt.
    .357 mag, When you care enough to send the very best!

I tried them once and with the weight of the rig on the top of the pant, not on the belt, the j hooks hung a half inch below the bottom of the belt! That sucked.
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    Agreed, they suck. I've got one or two rigs with J hooks, I never use them and won't buy anymore.

Links