New tuckable holster from Ryan Grizzle

This is a discussion on New tuckable holster from Ryan Grizzle within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had a few questions about your City Slicker. It looks awesome...by the way. What did you feel ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: New tuckable holster from Ryan Grizzle

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I had a few questions about your City Slicker. It looks awesome...by the way.

What did you feel were the pros of using horsehide instead of cowhide for IWB? Does horsehide feel more comfortable? Is it stiffer than cowide by chance? Sounds like you're getting a good draw/presentation using the horsehide.

2. Remove Ads

mexican carry that piece..... 400,000 gang bangers can't be all that wrong

That's such a beautiful holster, I really want to go with something that style with the belt loops but I think I like that better than anything else I've looked at because of the ease of changing cant/ride depth. Seems well worth the price for something that quality.

Since this thread came back up, below are answers to some earlier questions about this holster that I answered in a PM, rather than here.

"Like I mentioned, I'm an old guy and have carried a long time. All my Kramer and Sparks holsters from the old days are horsehide. My Alessi's are all cowhide. I prefer horse to cow. There are reasons that baseballs are horsehide.

Q1. What did you feel were the pros of using horsehide instead of cowhide for IWB?
    Horsehide is a little thinner than cowhide for the same size. It has smaller pores and therefore absorbs moisture (sweat) at a slower rate than cowhide.

Q2. Does horsehide feel more comfortable?
    Not necessarily. All my full leather horse and cow IWB holsters got "comfortable" after wearing for awhile. Being natural material allows it to flex and it is a llittle thinner so that does help. Kydex is fine but there is no "give" whatsoever.

Q3. Is it stiffer than cowide by chance?
    Yes, a little. But not unflexible like Kydex. It will lose its shape just like cowhide if abused.

Q4. Sounds like you're getting a good draw/presentation using the horsehide.
    Yes. It is quite smooth. Be sure you read the part about the rough side out on the back and smooth side out on the front.

Lastly, I find horsehide takes more abuse than cowhide and prefer ALL my belts, gun and dress, to be horse if I can find them. A little Kiwi wax polish is all you need to keep them dressed. Never use the creame polish. it weakens the leather and makes it more supple, which is fine for shoes, but not for holsters."

It's been a few months now, and this holster still performs like new. Since I did not have the mouth re-inforced I do not wear it every day. But when i need concealment in business casual and no jacket, or shorts and a tucked polo shirt, it is the "go to" holster.

And besides, Ryan is great to work with!
    "A gun is a tool, Marion. No better and no worse than any other tool - an axe, a shovel, or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that." --from "Shane" (Alan Ladd) -1953

Ace tuckable holsters are comfortable and inexpensive
    https://acecase.com/tuck-able-holster-leather.html

They even have a mix or match 2 for one deal. 2 for $19.98 with free S&H
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links