Driving question

This is a discussion on Driving question within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey all, I have two questions for you. First off, I am 6'4, 185 lbs. Pretty scrony build and I carry a Springfield XD Sub-Compact ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Driving question

Driving question

Hey all,
    I have two questions for you. First off, I am 6'4, 185 lbs. Pretty scrony build and I carry a Springfield XD Sub-Compact in a Crossbreed IWB holster at 4 O'clock. I love my holster when I am out and about.

But I recently got a new car and when I am driving my handle is digging into my seat and already starting to tear. So I am forced to remove my hand-gun from my holster and put it in my safe or somewhere not accessible or I am constantly driving people that I don't want to know I am carrying so it makes it awkward to try and hide a gun. So! Any advice or opinions to the situation? I am comfy while driving but I don't want to ruin my new car seats.

Second question! Since I am tall and slender it is hard for my to carry in the first place but I make it work and I can conceal. But I am contimplating getting an extra magazine because I would like too just in case. Problem is, from trying them on, it makes it very hard to conceal. So i guess the question is... concealability? Or extra magazines? which should be a higher priority?

Thanks to all who read/respond
    -Nick.

2. Remove Ads

You can try one of these seat holsters for the car....

Kingston Car Seat Holster — DeSantis Holster

As for the magazine, I got a cheap pouch that looks like it's a multi-tool or knife or something, no one has any idea that it is a spare magazine.

Senior Moderator
    I have the same kind of issue with my Crossbreed while driving with my Glock. It puts a bad indention in the leather seat and, in time, it will wear through. I have started unholstering and putting the gun under my leg (which I HATE to do) but, unlike you, I find driving with that holster set up to be EXTREMELY UNCOMFORTABLE. Perhaps its a combination of the holster, seat and its position on my body but if it's a drive longer than 10 minutes or so I simply cannot take it.

I might put the gun in the center consul but I don't like doing that either. I know most people find the Crossbreed to be the most comfortable holster they own and while I find it to be perfectly comfortable in every other situation, for driving it is more like a torture device for me.

You could try moving the holster to another part of your body such as appendix, strong-side, etc and see if that works out better for you (and your seats).

I like the car holster idea.. might have to get one of those..

As to the spare magazine.. are you looking for IWB or OWB? What is your average attire for the day?

VIP Member
    How deep and accessible is your center console? Mine is very deep an the lid flips to the right. I have velcroed in there a generic holster that will hold anything from a J frame to a full size 1911 or Glock. I also have a mag holder velcroed in there that will hold any of my mags and, if you do it right, a speed loader (one at a time). While I can comfortably carry in my Black Ops Pro all day long even while driving, the gun is a bit more accessible in the console. If I am driving for a long time and don't want to wear a shoulder holster, I will frequently put the gun in the console. Of course, if you console is not deep enough for this then another fix will have to work. For long days in the saddle, a shoulder holster is ideal, but this is not a year round solution out of the car.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Try moving the holster to the 3pm position. Should fix your problem.

Lima, I am in the same boat as you. It is definately noticable while driving so I have been putting it under my leg(Also hate to do, and I wont do it with "one in the chamber". Worries me to much) I just went to the store and put my holster at 6 O'clock, and I must say I think ill keep it here. I am not printing at all, I have pretty good range of movement and accessibility is still decent because i have long arms haha.

I heard the IWB magazine is super uncomfy with a IWB holster because of points of contact from your belt to body. So probably OWB. I have been wearing a wife beater which I tuck in over my gun. than a t-shirt and either a hoody(if its cold enough, but hard to fit in wearing a hoody in the summer). So I bought a bunch of casual button up shirts and those work amazing(Still hot, but its better than a hoody). I did have to change my wardrobe a bit and really layer up because I usually wear tighter fitting clothes.

The center-console thing is deep enough. I should try that, i just dont want it banging around in there.

try gaining alot of weight and get a big ole pick up truck.
    sdprof, gibbygoo and PSLOwner like this.
    Member NRA
    Served in U.S.A.F.(jet engine mechanic)
    Kel-Tec P3AT
    Don't Leave Home Without It!

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    I really hate to say it, but I think that this might be one of those cases where you've really gotta do some trial-and-error work.

Our bodies are unique, and the way the holster and firearm rides on us differs simply based on that consideration alone. Interject the constraints of car seating, seat-belting, as well as simple differences in seating position or even seat settings on the very same automobile, and that's a large set of variables....

Quote Originally Posted by SpringXDsub View Post
    I heard the IWB magazine is super uncomfy with a IWB holster because of points of contact from your belt to body.
    Aside from your OP, this is another example of such - for me, personally, I find that having the spare magazine on my off-side helps balance out my carry rig, and is actually more comfortable, overall.

But again, YMMV.

The center-console thing is deep enough. I should try that, i just dont want it banging around in there.
    Don't forget that you can also mount a holster either in there, in the glove compartment, in between the seats and the center console or door, or even under the seat/under the dash. I really would prefer to mount using hardware, with "Industrial-Grade" VELCRO or even 3M SuperLock (which is VHB-adhesive backed), IMveryHO, is only acceptable if the holster/gun combo is "supported" by adjacent structures: otherwise, over time, particularly when exposed to in-cabin heat, the adhesive will degrade sufficiently that it can well "let go" at an inopportune moment.
    Harryball likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerB View Post
    You can try one of these seat holsters for the car....

Kingston Car Seat Holster — DeSantis Holster

As for the magazine, I got a cheap pouch that looks like it's a multi-tool or knife or something, no one has any idea that it is a spare magazine.
    I have the same question as Nick about the spare magazine. Except that no lady carries around a multi-tool or knife, so that option doesn't really work for me. Any other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    ^^^
    seconded

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryGal View Post
    I have the same question as Nick about the spare magazine. Except that no lady carries around a multi-tool or knife, so that option doesn't really work for me. Any other ideas?
    Are you willing to go IWB?

Alternatively, what type of gun/magazine(s)? A fellow member of the Ohioans for Concealed Carry Forums recently showed that he could get two of his carry gun's magazines to fit snugly and well, inside a smart-phone belt-holder. You could simply look like you've got another phone along....

VIP Member
    I’m not keen on removing the gun from a holster for driving. I would recommend an alternate carry method for your own protection and weapon safety. On at least two occasions I dismounted my clip-on IWB for entry into the post office and forgot to remount afterwards. That was a subtle oversight but the potential of something more serious can easily happen. The chances of a mishap is greater when removing a gun from its holster, especially if you're in and out of the car on a frequent baises.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

How about a shoulder rig under a sport coat?

I don't have a shoulder rig but I do use an OWB, a pocket holster, or ankle holster. I wear OWB holsters at 3:00 with no issues carrying my sig, glock, or J-frame.

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    I know I'm preaching to the choir but, generally when one carries inside the waist it sits just past the hip for better concealment. When it comes time to sit (especially in a vehicle) the raised portion of the seat's side cusions will push back into the handle of your weapon.

Simply nudging it up to the 3 o clock should aleve the tension.

Unless you plan to leave the weapon in the vehicle mount I'd recommend that you keep it mounted to you. If you come into a situation where you absolutely needed to fire it's a toss up between your holster and car mount. But if you have to exit in a hurry, that's just one more step you have to take.

Might also try more forward cant on the holster
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links