Kydex holster opinions/critiques

This is a discussion on Kydex holster opinions/critiques within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey everyone. I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, but this is my first post so bear with me. I was wondering ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kydex holster opinions/critiques

Kydex holster opinions/critiques

Hey everyone.
    I've been lurking around this forum for a while now, but this is my first post so bear with me.
    I was wondering if I could get everyones opinion of some kydex holsters I've been making. I started this project about two months ago because I was looking into buying some other manufacturer's kydex rigs, but it seemed do-able at my house after some research. I've got the basic molding/retention thing down, but I was wanting some opinions/critiques of my overall holster design. I attempted to make them a little different from some of the ones i've seen (mostly because I like to tinker with stuff for apparently no reason)
    So, here goes nothing:

This is the first one I ever made. It's a straight drop design I made for IDPA matches. There is less retention on this one because of what it's for.

These are some examples of the "basic" holster that I have been making: anywhere from 0 to 20 degree cant, depending on the application. These fit close to the body, kindof deceptively, since the front and back of the holster where the belt loops are kindof offset from the belt, but the pistol is right up against the belt. All of these are for a Glock 17-22

A "Blood Red" one for a Glock 19-23. It looks alot better in person than in this pic.

And a J-Frame holster. This one is currently in Indianapolis. I made it as a special request since I don't currently have a J-Frame (I had to borrow one)

I've also made one for a Kel-Tec P32, but no pics at the moment.
    Thanks for looking and let me know what you think.

RBH

2. Remove Ads

Those look real good. I'd buy one for a G19 if you were selling them. Looks just as nice as a Raven Concealment from what I can see.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    They look nice. Like the Ravens Concealment. The nice thing is that it allows for modularity and lots of options like different types of clips/loops, IWB/OWB options etc.

Sounds like you got the makings of a new business there. Let me know if you start selling them or need someone to "evaluate" them for you. I would be happy to help.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    As far as I can see, your holsters look very good. I particularly like the way you covered the trigger guard, and yet left plenty of grip exposed. It looks like you used pretty heavy kydex. What thickness did you use on the body and the clips?

It appears that your belt loops would place your belt rather low on the holster. That has the effect of letting the grip lean out away from the body. The down side of of raising the loops to bring in the grip, however, is that the holster will hang lower which is not good for concealed carry since there is the possibility of the bottom of the holster peeking out from under an untucked shirt. A happy medium has to be found.

I make all my own holsters, mostly leather, but just recently, I made a few hybrids. Now you've given me incentive to make an all kydex holster. Keep up the good work, you definitely have skill!

Too light for heavy work, too heavy for light work!

pb

Freedomofchoice, I'm using .08 for the body and .125 for the belt loops. There are a lot more color choices for the .08 and I don't see a reason to go any thinner. As for the belt loops, I did have to play around with that a little to get them the right height. One of the reasons that the cutout is there in the back of the holster is for that reason. I can get the loops just a little higher without compromising the concealability. That and I believe that ideally when you draw your weapon that your hand should not touch the holster. Kydex is great in that it doesn't lose its rigidity even if you take away some material to get this effect.
    As with the bottom of the holster peeking out, I didn't like the "Raven" type holsters design so much because there looked to be way too much material around the bottom that would cause it to get "made." So I removed anything I could to make it as "short" as possible while still covering up the muzzle.
    Thanks for looking guys and keep up the replies.

Looks great. I too like the "combat cut" for the draw. I like versitility in my holsters. The more choices, i.e. cant and how deep or high it is carried, the better. My C-TAC fits my G26, G19, G23, G27 and maybe more but thoase are the ones I use it for. I notice something somewhat particular to the C-TAC is the leather bands that attach to belt clips to the actual holster. How are your attachment points? Perhaps offer a quick attachment for a matress or something to make yours "stand out". And again if you need any experienced "test subjects" let me know. I can do a good eval and write up for you.
    We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would harm us.
    - George Orwell Military

Also, what colors would you guys be interested in? I've made OD Green, "Blood Red," blue and black so far, but I'm up for suggestions.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    What would the cost be?
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The ones I've sold locally have been $30 for a holster, $20 for a double mag pouch, and $15 for a single mag pouch.

Those look great. To me, they actually have more appealing shape/lines than some of the big name ones of similar design being sold now.
    What Would Gumby Do?

Thanks sheepdog. I was going for that "different" look for my usual holsters.
    The ones in my first post I'm thinking of either calling NOHLO or "Debil" because the portion behind the trigger guard reminds me of a devil's tail (probably just in my head, call me crazy).
    I could make them look and act just like the other types of kydex holsters (and I will if that's what the end user wants), but that wouldn't be any fun for me and I'd get the "copycat" haters.
    This really will be a very small business venture if it gets of the ground and I don't plan on making 10,000 fo these things in a year. It's just something fun to do to make my own gear and if someone likes what I make for myself, then I'll make it for them as well.

Thanks again for looking and keep up the critiques if you nave any. I really am listening to you guys even if I don't reply directly. Already trying a "quick on/off' methond for OWB, but its not working yet, and I think the other holster makers either aren't doing it or they stopped doing it for a reason. I'll keep trying though.

wow, those look really good, i'd say keep at it

Very impressive! I like the way you've removed pretty much anything that isn't 'necessary'. The only suggestion I have (and I don't even know if it's possible, or if it would pull the holster any closer) would be pancake type 'ears' as an alternative to the standard belt loops.

You definitely have talent. I'd say stick with it, and keep us posted on how things are going.

pancake wings are definately doable, just ran out of kydex until approximately next week. will keep you posted if I get some done. I've got a few more holsters I've made since the first post. I'll get them up as soon as I get some uploaded.

op, i have been making kydex holsters for about 6 months and selling locally. one idea that has worked for me is a drop belt loop. rather than the traditional box style loops where you make both bends to the outside, you could make one bend to the outside and the other bend to the inside. this will allow for the wearer to further adjust the ride height by simply flipping the drop loop upside down. it is a little more difficult to get your attaching hardware to fit but it may help out with your ride height concerns. if you have any questions, i will try to help as much as i can. holsters look great though, keep up the good work. i usually sell for 40/holster 20/double mag and 15/single mag so your prices seem to be great...good holsters that dont cost an arm and leg are hard to find by the "big names" nowadays. good luck.

Nick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links