Uncle Mikes Open Top Kydex screaming deal for unusual applications...

This is a discussion on Uncle Mikes Open Top Kydex screaming deal for unusual applications... within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been looking for a Paddle Holster for occasional, short term carry of my SW1911. It's basically my "front door gun" and I wanted something ...

Thread: Uncle Mikes Open Top Kydex screaming deal for unusual applications...

I've been looking for a Paddle Holster for occasional, short term carry of my SW1911. It's basically my "front door gun" and I wanted something I could grab and stuff in my pants when somebody unknown, or questionable shows up uninvited at the front door, then remove again, once the "threat" has passed. With this in mind, I was cruising the Cabelas site last week and stumbled across this: Cabela's: Michael's of Oregon Kydex® Paddle Holster ...couldn't beat the price, so I ordered one. It came yesterday.

It fits my gun nicely, retention is decent, and while I'm unsure that it's just what I wanted for it's intended original purpose. It's a little difficult to insert/remove from my trousers, but I'm working on that, and have managed to speed up the process. Maybe it just takes a little more practice, and learning the "tricks" for this holster. As I've been looking over this holster, it occurs to me that it could potentially be great as a permanently mounted concealment holster in my pickup, or around the house somewhere...the paddle can be removed by 2 screws and replaced with a belt loop system, or, my idea would be to just remove the wearing hardware, and use those screws to mount the holster anywhere one wanted to. I'm so excited about that possibility that I immediately ordered another one. At the price they're currently offered, I don't see how one could go wrong with that approach.

Anyway, just passing that along to anyone looking for an economical solution to similar problems...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

Quote Originally Posted by Dadsnugun View Post
    I've been looking for a Paddle Holster for occasional, short term carry...

As I've been looking over this holster, it occurs to me that it could potentially be great as a permanently mounted concealment holster in my pickup, or around the house somewhere...the paddle can be removed by 2 screws...
    Can you post some pix of the backside and with the paddle removed?

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Can you post some pix of the backside and with the paddle removed?
    Sure, when I get around to it...hopefully later today...in between ballgames ;)
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I would not depend upon it for 'on body' carry, but for in the car or house, I'm sure it could do the intended job.
    Nothing screams quality like a $12 Uncle Mike's holster...I'm just sayin'...OMOYMV

The holster I use for my EDC is what I would answer the door with or have in the car...I guess that's just me.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    IMO Uncle Mike tends to get too much of a bad wrap. Everyone knows you generally get what you pay for. An Uncle Mikes isn't a high end custom leather holster, but sometimes UM's is exactly what you want.

Better a gun in an UM's than Mexican carry.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

cj
    I've been a proponent of these for certain uses since I picked up a variety from CDNN for $10 each (belt loop only, not sure if they had the paddle option). They're built a lot better than a lot of garage kydex shops (although some garage kydex shops do a GREAT job as well).

WORST thing about them is that they clamped down on the retention screws...and LOC-TITED THEM IN PLACE making many of them far too tight to be of any use. It's possible to crack the seal by getting a screw that fits screwed into the opposite side, torquing down on it to prevent it from unscrewing, and using an appropriately sized wrench to crack the seal. Take it all apart, run the whole screw through the bolt to clean it off, and you've suddenly got a retention screw system that works.

The primary use for me has been for range work, but the one I've used most has lasted through a large number of draws and is built very sturdily while providing good retention only releasing with a proper draw stroke.

I learned the hard way on paddle holsters, and had basically the same intentions as you. Ordered a $120.00+ paddle holster from XYZ. Excellent quality holster, great craftsmanship! However, after :30 minutes to an hour of wear the plastic paddle really starts to wear on the hip bone. It's really difficult to remove until you loosen the belt, but that's a good thing.

Here's the pics...

I'm not recommending this for anything other than what I originally stated, not that it wouldn't perform adequately at the range, or in other situations, I just have rather specific uses in mind for this thing and think it will be great for my uses. If I didn't think it would be functional as a holster, I wouldn't have ordered the 2nd one.

I've managed to get the time down to about 2 seconds for putting the holster on while wearing my trousers/belt at my typical setting. Once in place, the holster is steady and does not "wander about" when drawing or under my normal activities (walking to the fridge for a sammich, searching the cushions for the remote control, staring absently out the window, etc.). It still is a bit more of an effort to get the thing back off, but that's just extra security in my opinion.

I have not tried to adjust the retention, as I consider it to be good for my current weapon and activity level when I expect to be wearing it. I will look at this more closely when/if I decide to mount it in my vehicle where it may be subjected to more vigorous shaking/bumping. I also recommend mounting it vertically if one decides to go that route, just as added insurance against ones weapon coming loose from the holster. It'd suck to be in the middle of some nasty 4x4 terrain and notice your firearm skittering across the floorboard toward the brake pedal.

Anyway, that's my experience so far, hope the pics help some.

Sponsored Links