Recommended OWB for full sized gun

This is a discussion on Recommended OWB for full sized gun within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I currently like my IWB holster for my full size m&P 40 but am curious if I could get an OWB that would be comfortable ...

Thread: Recommended OWB for full sized gun

I currently like my IWB holster for my full size m&P 40 but am curious if I could get an OWB that would be comfortable and conceal just as well. I'm 5' 11" 145 and ideally i'd like to conceal with shorts and a slightly large T-shirt if possible...and good recommendations?
    Psalm 23
    In God I trust, it's the rest of you I'm concerned about

Certified Smith & Wesson M&P pistol and MP15 rifle armorer

Everything aspect of holster design involves compromises among the four basic factors of comfort, accessibility, security, and concealability. Whenever one factor is emphasized there will be compromises among the other factors.

IWB-style holsters emphasize concealability by keeping the bulk of the holstered weapon inside the trousers. The trade-offs some in limited accessibility and comfort issues for many folks.

OWB-style holsters generally offer better accessibility, but there will always be some of the holstered weapon at and below the belt-line to deal with for concealment purposes.

A well-designed pancake-style holster mounted on a sturdy belt will usually provide an excellent balance of the four basic factors. The cover garment needs to be loosely-fitted to avoid "printing" and long enough to cover the holstered handgun during all of your anticipated activities.

I hope this helps.
    Lobo Gun Leather
    serious equipment for serious business, since 1972
    www.lobogunleather.com

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Here is a link to a thread I posted a couple of weeks ago. I just started carrying my M&P compact OWB. I don't see a couple more inches of length being a factor, at all.
    New Holster for my M&P
    The holster was custom made and purchased from a DC member.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

For OWB concealment, I went with the Black Ops from Pure Kustom. It also can be used as an IWB. It has loops that screw on for IWB and slots in the holster itself for OWB. Great retention without any straps or thumb breaks.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

My build is almost the same as yours. OWB there's going to be plenty comfortable, but not as concealable as your IWB.

Since your choosing to wear large shirts, there are tons of options. I recommend looking at high ride pancake style holsters. Or just pancake style in general. Cant go wrong with TT Gun Leather.

eb
    I have a few OWB holsters from Tagua that are my favorites. I have several nice custom holsters but seem to reach for the inexpensive Taguas most often. I like their quick draw line...

There seems to be alot of leather recomendations, so I'll go the Kydex route and suggest any of the current "Raven" type kydex holsters. Especially with the pancake wings that are offered with some of them. I may be a little biased though.

I'm a OWB guy, and adjust my wardrobe to conceal my carry guns. In Fall, Winter and Spring, not a problem, just put on a coat or sweat shirt and go. You can cover a whole bunch of gear with a slightly larger coat. During Summer, in hot weather I switch to my little J-Frame in pocket holster with a reload either in a cargo pocket or nylon belt loops under my one-size-too-big, untucked t-shirts. Been doing it this way for over 40 years and never "outed."

I have a variety of holsters, but oddly what I prefer for comfortable, close body carry, is a nylon Uncle Mikes Law Enforcement pancake style holster. It conforms to the body and the pistol, with a thumb break snap. Most are adjustable to fit a variety of pistols. Inexpensive, and not manly leather or "tacti-cool" but gets the job done.

That's what works for me. Your mileage may vary.
    Sui juris
    U.S. Navy Veteran '65-'69
    Retired Police Detective '71 - '01
    LEOSA Certified
    NRA Life Member / SAF Member
    U.S. Constitution (c) 1791, All Rights Reserved.

Links