Can anyone recommend a good ankle holster?

This is a discussion on Can anyone recommend a good ankle holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm lookiing for a good ankle holster to start carrying my BUG in this winter. My BUG is a Springfield XD9SC. I'm 6'3" and 175 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Can anyone recommend a good ankle holster?

Can anyone recommend a good ankle holster?

I'm lookiing for a good ankle holster to start carrying my BUG in this winter. My BUG is a Springfield XD9SC.

I'm 6'3" and 175 lbs so I have skinny chicken legs. I'm looking for something that has a calf strap and rides mid high. I just don't want it showing every time I sit down.

Any suggestions?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I tried a couple of ankel rigs with the leg strap support and I found them to be utterly useless. The weight of most any gun combined with the enormous force of walking will send it to your foot in no time. Its also the most uncomfortable carry device I ever used. Before you buy one, try going a full day without crossing your legs, and you will realize just how annoying that can be.
    Guantes likes this.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

That is pretty much the conclusion I came to back when I was an LEO. But back then of course I dodn't care too much if someone did spot it on my ankle.

Today I am in a different mindset and it has been quite a few years since I gave one a try (the last time was back in 2002) so I was hoping maybe there had been some improvements made since then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I do not know if it will work with an auto as well as an air weight snub, but I have tried several including an expensive Alessi and like the Renegade brand best. I never thought the kind with a strap looked like they would work. It is true that it works better with some footwear than others, and again-a snub fits down there better than the auto due to grip shape so YMMV.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I have used an ankle rig by Black Hawk. It works well with a j frame. The calf strap really helps to distribute the weight of the gun. My rig is nylon. Good luck.

I have two galco ankle glove holsters and I love them.
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Renegade ankle Holsters are great. It takes a little time to get adjusted to the weight/rub, but it is very comfortable. I carry a SW 642 in it, and it is a beauty.

Home

I also live the renegade holster. I have to wear a suit to work everyday and the ankle holster is the only way to carry concealed for my situation. After a week, I began to almost forget it was there. Very comfortable and very sturdy. Been wearing mine every weekday for over a year and still in great shape. Keep in mind that your weapon will get filled with lint etc when ankle carrying. That's why I carry a revolver when using an ankle holster. My LCR doesn't add much weight to my left leg.

I have been carrying in an ankle holster for several years only because at work it is the only way I can truely hide the gun. Keep in mind that everything has trade offs, you will be trading accessability for concealment. If you are in a low threat environment that may not be a problem. The two holsters I have are the Galco Ankle Glove for a J frame and the Renegade, the Renegade being the more comfortable of the two. I originally intended to carry my XD9c in the Renegade but ran into 2 problems, 1.. the gun was way to heavy, 2.. the retention strap went right across the grip safety compressing it, not good, the Galco uses a snap system that aleviates this problem. The Renegade is more universal by not being molded to the guns shape so I was able to us it with a G26, a Kahr PM9 and several other guns I have. The Galco is Molded for specific guns so you cant interchange weapons. The lighter guns you should not be a problem as far as comfort goes.

Administrator
    The Alessi ankle holsters are about the best ones out there.
    Ankle Holster FYI - You put the empty ankle holster on FIRST...get it snug...& then you insert the firearm.

Talk to David Prince of Prince gunleather.

I used ankle carry a lot for awhile when I first started although I have moved basically over to just pocket now.
    I carried a Glock 26; I expect findings are different for different guns.
    I am not sure how that compares to what you use but likely similar enough.
    My 2 cents, having tried almost everything out there:
    I would buy the Renegade. Its not too expensive. Its certainly usable. Try that and see if you like it.
    I found the uber expensive leather ones to be less concealable, far more likely to slip down as the day went on, and generally inferior for the task.
    I tried other non leather types similar to the Renegade but it was generally better.
    I had generally pulled the sock up about an inch past the muzzle. I never found myself in danger of exposing the gun, even crossing my legs, but what does happen is that when you uncross and stand up the pant leg on that side has trouble falling down naturally because of the added bulk- so you really cannot cross publicly anyway because you look goofy because of this.

I used it really for a back up location gun but now with CCW breakaway pocket holster pants, I can just carry the back-up in the other pocket (or barring that use smartcarry or equivalent) and those are at least or more concealable, "shorts friendly", and much easier to access, so really ankle carry is something I never really see a reason to do now. But if you really want to try, I'd get a Renegade and see if you are still using it a few months later. If so, then maybe ask for more opinions on the pricey ones- for me they were a flop.

This forum needs a holster-drawer recycling / exchange / /adoption / salvation army store feature.

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    Only ankle holster I have is a Galco Ankle Glove for my S&W 642...it is very comfortable.
    Proud NRA member

I have an Ankle Glove for my PM9. I prefer it over the Alessi / Bulman type. Haven't tried the Renegade, but everyone raves about it.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Notwithstanding the disadvantages of ankle carry, the Renegade Cozy Partner, linked in post #7, is as comfortable and stable as they get. Wear black or navy pants with full length inseam. Buy several pair of black nylon socks. Put the holster over the under sock and pull the nylon top sock over the gun 2-3 inches to reduce showing when you sit. You still will not want to cross the gun leg over the other leg. Depending on the chair style you can tuck the gun leg under or cross the non gun leg over the gun ankle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links