Defensive Carry banner

more cant = better concealment?

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Gideon 
#1 ·
Just curious about that. I've got a couple of holsters in mind and one appears to have more cant than the other. So does more cant = better concealment?

#2 ·
For me, depends on placement and handgun.

The balance is between concealment, placement, and accessibility. It just so happens that an extreme forward cant (>= 30 degrees) works very well for me. I can getto it seated or standing, it blends into my waistline and it's comfortable. I carry a full size 1911 most days.

#4 ·
plblark said:
For me, depends on placement and handgun.

The balance is between concealment, placement, and accessibility. It just so happens that an extreme forward cant (>= 30 degrees) works very well for me. I can getto it seated or standing, it blends into my waistline and it's comfortable. I carry a full size 1911 most days.

I have a ctac and with some suggestions by others I reversed the tabs on it to increase the cant and I noticed that it conceals better. I'm looking for a leather holster for the same gun and I'm not sure if I should go with the holster that appears to have more cant...

#5 ·
You can get away with more kant if you wear the holster further back , Ie... going from 3:00 to 4 or even 5 ( right handed ) for a severe rake holster . If you wear a radical kant too far foreward you have to really break the wrist over to get a good grip on the gun if its even possible .

Just something to keep in mind when balancing concealment ~vs~ accessibility .

#6 ·
Howdy!
An increased rake does allow the holster/firearm to be worn further back, and still get a proper firing grip and a nice, smooth draw stroke.
The advantage of wearing it further to the rear (4:30-5:00, more or less) is that there is a natural "hollow" in a man's anatomy right over the kidneys. A well designed holster will take advantage of that spot and tuck the grip right up into it. The result will be much better concealment, while still being very comfortable and offering excellent draw characteristics.
I dunno if this helps or not, but it's my .02. Good luck!

#7 ·
Gary Brommeland said:
The result will be much better concealment, while still being very comfortable and offering excellent draw characteristics.
:hand10: I'm gonna PM you. Can you make my XD-45 Service disappear under dress business suits?

#8 ·
I am a cant fan - and depending on gun and rig - anything from 10º to 20º is most useful. It sure for me helps the butt from printing at rear if bending a bit and also facilitates my draw.

#9 ·
P95Carry said:
I am a cant fan - and depending on gun and rig - anything from 10º to 20º is most useful. It sure for me helps the butt from printing at rear if bending a bit and also facilitates my draw.
Thank you everyone for the responses so far...

I was having problems with the butt of the gun printing on my ctac so that's why I reversed the tabs. It brought the gun forward and closer to me... I have the gun sitting at about 4-4:30.

#10 ·
20 to 25 degrees works for me with a 1911. Usually at 4 o'clock.

#12 ·
How much cant you should have or how much is best is as personal a question as "What type of shoes or underwear do you like?"
There is simply no one answer that will work for everyone.
Everyone is built different, and we all have different degrees of flexabilty and manual dexterity. What works great for someone of my build may work terribly for you.

Case in point:
I keep a sample of one of my Changeling holsters with adjustable cant on-hand for local customers I meet. I met with a doctor toady who wants one of my In-Cognito holsters. He tried one on which has about a 18% cant, which is my standard for that holster with a full-size 1911. He didn't like it and tried on the Changeling and did a few practice draws. (He is a very accomplished shooter and has attend most of the top notch training schools). He wasn't happy with the range of motion required to draw until we had the holster angle set at almost vertical. And based on his build, I do not see concealment being an issue for him worn this way. This would never work for me however.

So this is a question without a correct answer. It requires experimentation on your part 'til you find what works for you.

#14 ·
Well....Ill agree with everyone.

Everyone has what works for them....and Mark, Im not telling you what underwear I like! :gah:

The general rule for me is the farther back you wear it, the more cant benefits you.....for a more natural and smoother draw stroke. But its not the only rule.

Shoot well.

#15 ·
I've found a simple guideline that works for me. If you imagine a vertical line, then place the pistol over it so the tip of the barrel is on the line and the tip of the grip is on the line. This usaully is called an extreme cant but I think lining the tip of the barrel vertically with the tip of the but makes any of my weapons much easier to conceal any where from 3:00 back around to 5:00. More forward of that vertical line and it get's goofy. If the butt is over the line then it's getting more towards normal and the grip will start to print unless the holster torques the weapon around to pull the grip in. This can be done but I have to wear my belt tighter to get that effect. With the verticle line deal, I can wear the belt comfortabley and it all works better for me.

God Bless
Gideon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.