More Horseback Holster Questions

This is a discussion on More Horseback Holster Questions within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I had a thread a while back about choosing a holster for my SP101 for horseback riding. Seemed like lots of responses were for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Horseback Holster Questions

More Horseback Holster Questions

So I had a thread a while back about choosing a holster for my SP101 for horseback riding. Seemed like lots of responses were for cross draw rigs. So I checked out a guy here on the forum, Hays Holsters and bought his Texa X-Draw Rig.

I found it really uncomfortable to ride in no matter where I put it.

So I'm back to shopping. I'm thinking I made the mistake of buying a concealment type cross draw rig and actually needed a cowboy style cross draw rig that rides much lower.

Can you guys give me some advice? I'm basically looking for either a cross draw or traditional cowboy rig for a 3" SP101 that has some kind of retention strap, be it thong or thumb break. I'll decide which carry method based on your advice.

Thanks
    Josh

2. Remove Ads

I'm afraid that a custom made ( which will be necessary) buscadero rig for a 3" SP101 will be pretty spendy. In addition it might look rather strange with such a small gun. A better and probably less expensive route might be a western shoulder rig, if you think that might fulfill your needs. It would still probably have to be custom made.

Australian Leather Western Harness Shoulder Holster - oldtradingpost.com - California
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

It's a shame the Hays rig doesn't work for you, sure is a pretty thing...
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I can't see how a normal pancake style holster on a good belt would not be good for horseback, motorcycle, ATV or anything.

A crossdraw rig for riding is the way to go, IF, you have enough handgun weight to hold the piece down and steady. The smallish frame sp 101 is probably flopping around all over Sam Hill, and of course that can't be comfortable.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

In my expierence shoulder holster suck......I tried a friends shoulder and chest rig while riding and hated them.

I think an old style "field" type strong side holster would work best........I just cant find any. Something like a pancake maybe?

Keep the advice coming guys. I appreciate it.

About the Hays Holster, it was top quality, shipped fast and is awesome quality. I open carry with it around 9 o clock a lot. So it's not going to waste!

There is one other possibility that I can think of. Hunter makes a holster for the SP101, 3". Pick up one of those and an inexpensive/decent 1-1/4 - 1-1/2" belt that is several inches too big. Mount the holster on the belt and wear the rig about two inches or so below your regular belt. That should put the rig low enough as to not bother you riding and provide a relatively inexpensive solution.

Distinguished Member
    Thinking outside the box, but how about something like a 5.11 holster shirt? I think it would be more comfortable than a regular shoulder rig.

Holster Shirt | Concealed Carry Undergear Shirts | 5.11 Tactical
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Try huntercompany.com western open carry gear, snap strap, but the one you have looks very good...I carry high on the belt like that also, with a 6.5"bbl smith,Bianchi #5-bhl.. like it out of the game and hi and tight while on horseback, have a Hunter rig for my 3" dog that is hunting side arm for me or bride..but it would flop on horseback...

I've been thinking of trying the Simply Rugged Pancake holster with retention strap......any opinions?

Would you wear that at waist level? I thought you wanted to position the gun lower?
    This was kind of what I was thinking.

Pictures & Photos of John Wayne - IMDb

I was thinking of trying it at waist level......i agree I think the old cowboy rig as shown on John Wayne was kind when horses were the only way to get around. The problem is everyone I've ever seen has a big 4" loop for a cartridge belt........I've never seen on with a smaller tighter belt fit. If I could find an old style cowboy rig for a double action with a tight fit I would love it.

Basically I want the grip to hang around belt level, not up high the way concealment holster ride.......make sense?

Here is a picture of the holster you need (not particularly this one but one with the elements of design that this one has): Cowboy Cross Draw Holsters - Bing Images

Key feature is 1. the top edge of the backstrap of the revovler is at or below the top of the belt. (personally I like the length of the barrel to be nearly horizontal with the belt but that is too radical for most) and 2. note the angle of the holster in relation to the belt. This angle needs to be determined by where you want to place your firearm either 9 oclock or 10 oclock or even 11 0clock. (like I stated I like a near horizontal rake because I wear at 11 o'clock. While sitting in the saddle do you have a dunlap to pre-empt a draw at 10 oclock or 11 o clock ? Will a revolver with as short as a 3 inch barrel be digging into the bottom of your gut with every rock ?

http://www.andrewsleather.com/traditional.htm Big Jake crossdraw

Holsters are a personal preference type of thing so good luck with your search. I have a SideGuard cross draw with a steep angle that I like for the SP101 (and another for the S&W 638 and neither of these sideguard holsters have the real steep angle or the butt at the optimal location) and another old, old, very old Bianchi cross draw which does have the steep angle and butt at the top of belt for a S&W 686 all that work very well for me on the mule.
    "Improvise, adapt, overcome."

They usually do have a big belt loop, the Hunter's are about three inches.
    Here is an old Hunter I pulled out of one of my holster boxes. It is on an 1-3/8" belt, but it gives about the height level you mentioned.
    Attached Images

Simply Rugged Holsters
    If you are looking for something with a "western" flair and 1 3/4" belt slot look at Simply Rugged's Cattleman. They can put a hammer thong or strap on it for you too.

While there look at their Sourdough with Chesty Puller System. It ain't my thing but to each his own.

A Bianchi Cyclone worn strong side at 4 o'clock works for me on horseback and ATV. It also has a cross draw slot but I find 10 - 11 o'clock carry uncomfortable.
    I have also used strong side pancakes with total comfort.

Senior Member Array GentlemanJim's Avatar
    Any strong side IWB or OWB belt holster should do.

If you fear dislodging the gun when galloping or in the event of a spill, get one with a retention device.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links