Defensive Carry banner

Kydex for OWB carry?

5K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  Bigpoppa48 
#1 ·
I'm interested in a Kydex or simular material holster for my M&Pc. At least that's what I "think" I'm interested in having.

My current holster is a DeSantis leather holster. I like it, but don't like the fact that it doesn't retain its' shape, if the M&Pc is not in it, while I'm driving. While I'm driving long distances, it's uncomfortable to keep the weapon in the holster, so I remove it and reholster before leaving the vehicle.

Having said that...
* Are hard material holsters difficult to conceal?
* Are hard material holsters less comfortable to wear, than leather holsters?

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.
Thank you, Bowhunter57

#2 ·
I have a $25 Fobus paddle holster that is very comfortable. Also quicker for me to draw from and get an immediate good grip on gun than any IWB I have tried. That being said
I can conceal IWB much easier. Of course this is for me and my body type and the weapon I choose to carry.

#3 ·
* Are hard material holsters difficult to conceal?
The right Kydex holster worn OWB will conceal well if designed like a pancake type holster. I have a FIST K1 with belt loops that works to snug my Glock up to the body. The FIST K1 is a good choice if you want Kydex worn OWB. Here's a link to the K1:
FIST, INC.
* Are hard material holsters less comfortable to wear, than leather holsters?
In my experience leather is more comfortable to use than Kydex. The above mentioned FIST K1 is pretty comfortable for Kydex but for max comfort choose leather.

#9 ·
I use a Crossbreed OWB for my Walther PPS. Very comfortable, good price. Conceals very well. i would recommend it.

#10 ·
FIST fan, but...

I jumped on the kydex bandwagon and have 4 from FIST, 3 are pancakes and 1 is snap loops. But I have returned to leather for comfort plus the pancake kydex holsters scuff my expensive leather belts.:frown: FIST makes excellent holsters so this is not knocking FIST.

If you want a leather holster that stays open get a reinforced mouth - leather reinforcements are OK, metal reinforcement is even better.

#11 ·
On long drives, kydex will not be you friend. Normal commute to work, pick up the kids, go to the store- it will be just fine.

Noise? If I have to draw, it will likely be getting even noisier real soon. I don't worry about it.

#12 ·
"Noise? If I have to draw, it will likely be getting even noisier real soon. I don't worry about it."

Yeah, like that ka-chunk of a slide being cycled, only a prelude to what's to come.

#13 ·
Any kydex or other hard material, owb, will be harder to conceal because of the increased profile and blockiness that you just dont get from leather. That being said, i you don't mind dressing around them, it doesn't matter. I like the blackhawk serpa (still polymer, but not kydex) for owb, understanding it has the concealment issues I mentioned. You might also try other leather brands, as some stay open better when empty. If you haven't tried IWB, I'd recommend one of the hybrid types. I use a Comp-Tac, M-Tac for my M&Pc. I've worn it for several hours in the car, pistol in, with no issues.

#14 ·
Relative to the noise. I seem to recall a number of people mentioning a surreptitious draw in certain seated situations (restaurant, etc), in preparation to engage an aggressor. I suspect that such a distinct audible message would not be an asset to such efforts.

#15 ·
^ Yep. That's the same reason why many, including Michale Janich, preached the need for people who intend to use folding knives for SD to practice various opening/locking techniques, including those which are silent. That sound of a gun clearing a Kydex holster is definitely unmistakable, to anyone who's heard it before.

------

It really all depends, and it depends on quite a number of unique variables: your body shape/anatomy, your chosen carry position, your chosen carry firearm, your car-seat's adjustments, etc. - not to even mention the specific design parameters of the holster itself.

I'm a big fan of leather, and prefer leather or hybrid holsters for IWB carry. But you know what? I'll be damned if my Kahr PM9/Garrett Silent Thunder Slim II combo isn't one of my most comfortable holster setups, particularly for extended driving sessions.

As for noise? My PureKustom Black Ops Pro, my true-EDC holster, "pops" the gun in and out, just like my Raven Phantom: this is something that Rocky and many of PureKustoms' customers and fans are quite proud of. :wink: And again going back tothe Silent Thunder, the leather lining of that particular full-hardshell Kydex holster means that it's just that - silent on the draw and holster strokes.

Leather holsters collapsing after the weapon has been withdrawn? A good leather holster - OWB or even IWB - should not and will not do that. Many custom holster-makers take great pains to demonstrate this capability of their works. Alas, a holster is a consumable item, particularly leather: at some point, they will wear out - they will collapse. When that day comes (and different people using different holsters differently means that there's huge variability in this, too), it's simply time to get a replacement and move on.

The "profile" of the holster?

Again, this is something that depends highly on the holster (including its set-up on the wearer) as well as the firearm. A full-sized 1911 may need to be carried with a steeper cant angle, in order to make sure that the muzzle tucks up underneath your cover clothing. But to say that all Kydex/polymer holsters are bulky and don't conceal well, particularly OWB? anyone who has tried a Raven Concealment or similar (I'm just naming the one that more people are likely to know, but there's plenty of other such makes out there) knows just how well they can conceal, even under just a light T-shirt. Just as leather holsters can be made into "pancakes" and hug the body, riding high and tight, so can polymer holsters. It's just a matter of finding the right holster for your needs - "duty" holsters made for open wear on a police-officer's duty-belt certainly will present a huge bulge away from the body, if you plan to only throw a T-shirt over it...that's as simple as having selected the wrong tool for your work, period. :smile:

#16 ·
My most comfortable OWB rigs are leather, no question about it. My most comfortable holster PERIOD is a leather/kydex hybrid worn IWB. Kydex for OWB in my opinion is way less concealable and way less comfortable. Someone mentioned the Fobus paddle holster, ever try concealing anything in that one? It ain't easy. And then of course, there is this......

#17 ·
While I was never fond of the earlier Kydex rigs, the new style from Raven, Cane and Darby, and namely Personal Security Systems, I do like very much for OWB. I've been carrying my Sig P229 in a PSS rig for months and it has worked out very well for me. For IWB I'll never give up leather though.
Firearm Gun Trigger Starting pistol Gun accessory

#20 ·
#24 ·
I like the looks of this rig and will probably give it a try this winter. Seems slim and close in. Partial Eclipse Holster :: OWB Belt Holsters :: Blade-Tech Industries[/QUOTE]

TX0303, there are a couple of issues with that type of rig; your front sight can snag on the draw stroke, when sitting down in a chair with an arm your pistol can be ejected from the holster if the muzzle contacts said chair arm, and neither the front site or the slide are protected. I had an experience with a Galco holster similar to that and an old rocking chair, luckily I felt the pistol rub against my ribcage before it completely shot out of the holster while I was sitting down.

#30 ·
Holsters are wear products, period. It doesn't matter if it's polymer-plastic or leather.

A well-made holster, out of any material, will last longer than a badly made holster out of the same material, period.

A cared-for holster that leads an easy life will outlast a range/class/"working" holster of the same material and workmanship, period.

Everything else comes down to personal preference.

I've seen some of "the best" holsters fail, and some rather cheap and even ill-constructed holsters last longer as they're just not worn/used in the same manner.

There are technical considerations that affect *every* holster - attachment points, whether if they'll collapse after the firearm's withdrawn, retention/presentation, etc. But those should be unique-user decided-upon factors: different people will place importance on these traits in a different and unique manner.

#31 ·
I agree with that, also something that I haven't seen brought to light. Police/Military/etc have been wearing guns and holsters all day everyday for years and those same guys will tell you that their holsters/belts etc all wear out over time. Doesn't matter what it's made of, nylon/kydex/leather it's going to wear out depending on how much you use it. There is a large influx of concealed carry guys/gals who are carrying all day everyday and as a result your going to start seeing a larger number of holsters and belts fail. I've seen customers of mine that carry very rarely and their holsters will likely last long enough to be handed down to kids etc. My daily carry holsters get around 4-5000 hours of carry a year, now I do switch guns and carry method but I've got a IWB rig that has well over 5000 hours of carry that holster while still working is starting to wear. The thing to remember is while the gun you purchase for carry may last a lifetime(depending on use of course), the holsters and belts will wear out over their life and you'll have to replace them from time to time.

Take care!

Luke

#32 ·
I use a Blade-Tech Ulitmate Concealment IWB holster for my Full Size M&P 40S&W and It allows me to get a better grip on my firearm while seated in my vehicle than the otherwise cheap nylon holsters although the cheap nylon holsters do have their purpose when I am at home and around my yard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.