Kydex for OWB carry?

This is a discussion on Kydex for OWB carry? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm interested in a Kydex or simular material holster for my M&Pc. At least that's what I "think" I'm interested in having. My current holster ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Kydex for OWB carry?

Kydex for OWB carry?

I'm interested in a Kydex or simular material holster for my M&Pc. At least that's what I "think" I'm interested in having.

My current holster is a DeSantis leather holster. I like it, but don't like the fact that it doesn't retain its' shape, if the M&Pc is not in it, while I'm driving. While I'm driving long distances, it's uncomfortable to keep the weapon in the holster, so I remove it and reholster before leaving the vehicle.

Having said that...
    * Are hard material holsters difficult to conceal?
    * Are hard material holsters less comfortable to wear, than leather holsters?

Your experiences and opinions are appreciated.
    Thank you, Bowhunter57
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer Nuts: Still under a Buck.

2. Remove Ads

I have a $25 Fobus paddle holster that is very comfortable. Also quicker for me to draw from and get an immediate good grip on gun than any IWB I have tried. That being said
    I can conceal IWB much easier. Of course this is for me and my body type and the weapon I choose to carry.

* Are hard material holsters difficult to conceal?
    The right Kydex holster worn OWB will conceal well if designed like a pancake type holster. I have a FIST K1 with belt loops that works to snug my Glock up to the body. The FIST K1 is a good choice if you want Kydex worn OWB. Here's a link to the K1:
    FIST, INC.
    * Are hard material holsters less comfortable to wear, than leather holsters?
    In my experience leather is more comfortable to use than Kydex. The above mentioned FIST K1 is pretty comfortable for Kydex but for max comfort choose leather.

Kydex is noisy.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes
    Kydex is noisy.
    Noisy? How so? Squeeky like leather?

Bowhunter57
    Beer Nuts: $1.49
    Deer Nuts: Still under a Buck.

Everyone I've been around drawing, shooting and reholstering, they had a clanky plastic sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Everyone I've been around drawing, shooting and reholstering, they had a clanky plastic sound.
    They do indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Yes they do. And nothing is as comfortable as leather. Plastic doesnt conform to the body, it digs in.
    smolck likes this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

I use a Crossbreed OWB for my Walther PPS. Very comfortable, good price. Conceals very well. i would recommend it.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

FIST fan, but...

I jumped on the kydex bandwagon and have 4 from FIST, 3 are pancakes and 1 is snap loops. But I have returned to leather for comfort plus the pancake kydex holsters scuff my expensive leather belts. FIST makes excellent holsters so this is not knocking FIST.

If you want a leather holster that stays open get a reinforced mouth - leather reinforcements are OK, metal reinforcement is even better.

VIP Member
    On long drives, kydex will not be you friend. Normal commute to work, pick up the kids, go to the store- it will be just fine.

Noise? If I have to draw, it will likely be getting even noisier real soon. I don't worry about it.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    "Noise? If I have to draw, it will likely be getting even noisier real soon. I don't worry about it."

Yeah, like that ka-chunk of a slide being cycled, only a prelude to what's to come.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Any kydex or other hard material, owb, will be harder to conceal because of the increased profile and blockiness that you just dont get from leather. That being said, i you don't mind dressing around them, it doesn't matter. I like the blackhawk serpa (still polymer, but not kydex) for owb, understanding it has the concealment issues I mentioned. You might also try other leather brands, as some stay open better when empty. If you haven't tried IWB, I'd recommend one of the hybrid types. I use a Comp-Tac, M-Tac for my M&Pc. I've worn it for several hours in the car, pistol in, with no issues.
    AlabamaConstitution of 1819: That every citizen has a right to bear arms in defence of himself and the state.
    The world doesn't owe you anything. It was here first.-Mark Twain
    "Life's tough. It's tougher if you're stupid."-John Wayne
    Sig P228; Micro Desert Eagle; S&W M&P Compact .357 sig

Relative to the noise. I seem to recall a number of people mentioning a surreptitious draw in certain seated situations (restaurant, etc), in preparation to engage an aggressor. I suspect that such a distinct audible message would not be an asset to such efforts.

Distinguished Member Array TSiWRX's Avatar
    ^ Yep. That's the same reason why many, including Michale Janich, preached the need for people who intend to use folding knives for SD to practice various opening/locking techniques, including those which are silent. That sound of a gun clearing a Kydex holster is definitely unmistakable, to anyone who's heard it before.

------

It really all depends, and it depends on quite a number of unique variables: your body shape/anatomy, your chosen carry position, your chosen carry firearm, your car-seat's adjustments, etc. - not to even mention the specific design parameters of the holster itself.

I'm a big fan of leather, and prefer leather or hybrid holsters for IWB carry. But you know what? I'll be damned if my Kahr PM9/Garrett Silent Thunder Slim II combo isn't one of my most comfortable holster setups, particularly for extended driving sessions.

As for noise? My PureKustom Black Ops Pro, my true-EDC holster, "pops" the gun in and out, just like my Raven Phantom: this is something that Rocky and many of PureKustoms' customers and fans are quite proud of. And again going back tothe Silent Thunder, the leather lining of that particular full-hardshell Kydex holster means that it's just that - silent on the draw and holster strokes.

Leather holsters collapsing after the weapon has been withdrawn? A good leather holster - OWB or even IWB - should not and will not do that. Many custom holster-makers take great pains to demonstrate this capability of their works. Alas, a holster is a consumable item, particularly leather: at some point, they will wear out - they will collapse. When that day comes (and different people using different holsters differently means that there's huge variability in this, too), it's simply time to get a replacement and move on.

The "profile" of the holster?

Again, this is something that depends highly on the holster (including its set-up on the wearer) as well as the firearm. A full-sized 1911 may need to be carried with a steeper cant angle, in order to make sure that the muzzle tucks up underneath your cover clothing. But to say that all Kydex/polymer holsters are bulky and don't conceal well, particularly OWB? anyone who has tried a Raven Concealment or similar (I'm just naming the one that more people are likely to know, but there's plenty of other such makes out there) knows just how well they can conceal, even under just a light T-shirt. Just as leather holsters can be made into "pancakes" and hug the body, riding high and tight, so can polymer holsters. It's just a matter of finding the right holster for your needs - "duty" holsters made for open wear on a police-officer's duty-belt certainly will present a huge bulge away from the body, if you plan to only throw a T-shirt over it...that's as simple as having selected the wrong tool for your work, period.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links