Velcro use in a holster?

This is a discussion on Velcro use in a holster? within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have an Active Pro Gear holster for a BUG and am curious about one thing: once the gun is seated in the open bottom ...

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99
  • 1 Post By Guantes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By rammerjammer

Thread: Velcro use in a holster?

Velcro use in a holster?

I have an Active Pro Gear holster for a BUG and am curious about one thing: once the gun is seated in the open bottom rig, it is held tight with velcro which comes over the back of the holster and then fastens on the front covering the gun to what ever length one wants. Question: Are there some real problems that can result when trying to draw with the velcro ? The velcro is fairly long, so that doesn't seem to present a problem in holding the gun fast, but is it a bad idea to use this type of holster in the first place?
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

2. Remove Ads

A quality 'boned' leather holster does not need velcro for anything.OMO
    Mike1956 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is not leather, more like a fabric which has slots for the belt to pass through in back and the front and back open to holster the gun and then kind of collapse upon themselves.But it's not tight enough without more "holding" ability; hence, the velcro.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I don't like holsters that require any such device for retention.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Your better off spending money on a better holster,it never ceases to amaze me the people that spend 500.00+ for a gun at a gun show and then walk over to the guy with the fabric holsters and spend 10 - 20 bucks for a holster
    RETSUPT99 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

I got this holster when I was just starting my journey into handguns and, like many others, bought some that did not work out. Live and learn! My thread was meant to elicit responses to this type of holster so I could learn more about the +s and-s of each type. By the way, I did NOT get my first gun at a show, but from a LGS. But I do appreciate the responses I have gotten.

VIP Member
    I'm not a velcro fan for defensive carry. It's noisy, scratchy, clogs easily and wears out fairly quickly. Perhaps I'm just old school, but nothing beats fine crafter leather for securing a quality handgun.
    “Monsters are real and so are ghosts. They live inside of us, and sometimes they win.”
    ~ Stephen King

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Philly Boy View Post
    I got this holster when I was just starting my journey into handguns and, like many others, bought some that did not work out. Live and learn! My thread was meant to elicit responses to this type of holster so I could learn more about the +s and-s of each type. By the way, I did NOT get my first gun at a show, but from a LGS. But I do appreciate the responses I have gotten.
    I never went the velcro route, but did go the cheapie route - ended up with a box of unused holsters. I don't like velcro because it does not leave you with the option of a nice quiet draw. You will always have that velcor rip noise.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    I have a box of unused holsters which even includes a high-dollar "custom " POS sold by one whose advertisement appears on the top of this page. My concealment holster MUST consistently achieve all of the following: be comfortable to wear in all activities; fairly simple to secure and remove from my person; remain strongly secured to my person; be easily concealed; secure the pistol without straps, bands, buttons; locks, etc.; facilitate a draw-and-fire time of one second or less; allow one-handed draw and reholstering.
    I have found only two holsters which fill the bill, and they are both made of leather.

I've never had any luck cheaping out on holsters. I don't think you have to wait 6 months plus and spend huge amounts on a work of art by a craftsman either. Good holsters can be found at reasonable prices with reasonable turnaround times. The nylon and velcro cheapie types are generally a waste of money.

I have at least three good holsters from Jeff Hays (Haysholsters) which are very reasonable in price and very well made. I also have a few pocket types which work well with my Beretta Tomcat and two others of good quality leather from other makers. The velcro has been tossed into the " do not ever use again bag!" When just starting out it is hard not to make a few bad purchases and, from what I have read over the last year, most everyone has a " holster box" in their closet: these will never again see the light of day!

My first holster for my SR9c had Velcro retention straps. It slowed my draw down incredibly.

It hasn't moved out of my holster drawer for almost a year.
    Philly Boy likes this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

VIP Member
    I have one of those velcro nylon holster which i use with my kel tec p32. However this holster has a stiff nylon thumb snap and i use it as a imb rig. For this type to work correctly u got to adjust it first to how u want the thumb snap to be then snap the other velcro strap to it then pull it down tight against the pistol iside the holster. Adjust it some more then once u hav it right then when you want it the thumb snap will open fast and smooth. What i like abt the nylon is its not as thick as the leather and it is soft for hot weather carry. I do think it would be way too loose to use for an outside carry rig. Also the nylon rigs that do use a velcro tab with no thumb snap is no good as others have stated here also. I use a forbus holster on a stiff leather gun belt for outside carry. For my k frame 38 i use a nice milt sparks owb holster for it and leather iwb. Just take ur time and read here what street savy people use with cc experience so that you dont purchase a bunch of stuff u will not use. Galco is a good company holster and milt sparks make great custom holsters. There are others but these are two of ones i had great use with. So alot of thought needs to go into this for you to be happy toting a weapon around.

Links