SOB Carry

This is a discussion on SOB Carry within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can someone recommend a good small-of-back holster? I'm using my Crossbreed for my XD .45 and love it. I would like another option though for ...

Thread: SOB Carry

SOB Carry

Can someone recommend a good small-of-back holster? I'm using my Crossbreed for my XD .45 and love it. I would like another option though for when the situation calls for a second option. Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    Totally unrelated, but Small-Of-Back was NOT the first thing I thought when I read your title.

I use N82 Tactical holsters for my .357mag, or my .45ACP. Great holsters for the money; but possibly not the absolute best. Great for me, though.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

Oh I thought this was a thread about the dude i saw packing a gun today.....sorry

I have a Galco SOB for my G36 and my G26. Not quite a multibazillion custom humdinger that takes 14 years to receive, but very serviceable.

NOTE: I wear the rearmost edge at about 5 PM, and I would never wear it across my spine.

SOB.jpg
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

I think Galco and Desantis make them. Good luck with that type of carry.

I have several of these... FIST, INC. ...I do not wear it over the spine, but rather over the kidney.
    I like the 'palm out' draw.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Note: I am shortwaisted and old, so my range of motion and draw stroke issues must take that into consideration, e.g. the high degree of rake or cant helps me due to my shorter torso.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I have several of these... FIST, INC. ...I do not wear it over the spine, but rather over the kidney.
    I like the 'palm out' draw.OMO
    I wouldn't dream of carrying a gun so I would normally draw it with my palm outward. I like my kidneys and other innards.

Galco SOB is a great holster if you are going to carry like this.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Administrator
    The Galco is very likely the most popular SOB. They pop up used on Ebay all the time so if you're not in a big hurry to get one you can possibly save a bit of $$$.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

have a Don Hume SOB for a Glock 26....very well made and affordable. Also fits my Bersa 9UC without the rails (pre-Pro model)

like Retsup stated, I don't wear it on the spine, but almost a strong side carry.
    D.A.H. [D.A.H.] - $59.70 : Don Hume Leathergoods, manufactures high quality leather and nylon goods.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

thanks for the replies. i'll look into the ones mentioned. yeah, no big hurry for one. just thinking of another option. thanks again.

SOB holsters

I recently purchased an SOB holster from JRCHolsters (Handmade Holsters) and it has been an exceptional holster. It is meant to be worn to the side of the spine and it is unbelievably comfortable. I have had a coulee of SOB holsters in the past, but this one is the best I have ever worn. It has replaced my traditional shoulder holster and I never thought that would happen.

Check them out. It is a very good holster!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    I have a Galco SOB for my G36 and my G26. Not quite a multibazillion custom humdinger that takes 14 years to receive, but very serviceable.

NOTE: I wear the rearmost edge at about 5 PM, and I would never wear it across my spine.

SOB.jpg
    This IMO is the best one out there, especailly if you are gonna carry it only occasionally. I have a Dillon leather one for my 23. I agree with Rock too...wear it over you kidneys, not over your spine.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Lots of good ideas for you. I would just practice with both the new SOB carry (such as the Galco) and the old school "Cavalry style" holsters. I know the old style requires you to cover yourself with the muzzle to draw, but it is so much more comfortable IMO. A straight drop holster for a lefty will do this nicely.

But SOB is such a pain if you have to drive (literally) or sit with your back on something. Too bad cause it is a great way to conceal a full size 1911.

I have recently been playing around with carrying a SOB Cavalry style holster for my snubbie.
    If you carry it at around 5 o'clock and the rake is either neutral, or enough rake to make the grip parallel to the belt, You will find that you actually don't cover yourself with the muzzle at all. By the time the gun is clearing the holster, your elbow is cocked high enough, that the gun is pointed straight down at your side. Just come straight up while straightening your forearm.
    It really is one of the most comfortable ways I have ever carried. The bonus is, it really conceals well and is actually pretty fast to draw with a little practice.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. George Orwell
    http://www.jrcholsters.com

Links