LCR .357 + boot grip + Max Tuck (White Hat Holsters)

This is a discussion on LCR .357 + boot grip + Max Tuck (White Hat Holsters) within the Defensive Carry Holsters & Carry Options forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Max Tuck I have been using my new Max Tuck with LCR .357 at 4 o'clock for about a week and am impressed. Seems very ...

Thread: LCR .357 + boot grip + Max Tuck (White Hat Holsters)

LCR .357 + boot grip + Max Tuck (White Hat Holsters)

Max Tuck
    I have been using my new Max Tuck with LCR .357 at 4 o'clock for about a week and am impressed. Seems very well made and comes close to vanishing, even under a t-shirt—unless I bend over. Bending over drags the shirt up a little and creates an opening between the end of the grip and my back, and the shirt tends to get grabbed by this as I straighten. (I know, I know, never bend over, but, I have a two-year old.) I find that, the higher I wear the rig, the less this "catching" happens.

A caution: the "Chicago style" screws (for the Kydex and the belt clips) aren't kept from loosening by anything other than tension against a rubber washer, so make sure you tighten them up and double check them periodically. I guess that is one advantage of the Crossbreed style that bite into the leather.

The only other IWB rig I've ever used was a Don Hume clip-on, so I can't compare the Max Tuck to anything similar (the Max Tuck definitely beats the DH, though, which sometimes seemed to want to come along with the gun when I drew and once worked itself loose from the belt on its own ). The finish on the Max Tuck's horsehide has already taken quite a beating from holstering/drawing, but I assume that's par for the course.

I got good customer service from the company as well.

Boot Grip
    The "catching" I mentioned above (i.e., of shirt on grip, when I bent over) seemed to be exacerbated by the stickiness of the Hogue Tamer, which was one reason I was excited to try my new Hogue Boot grip when UPS rang the doorbell yesterday. The slick, hard plastic of the Boot grip definitely grabs my shirt a little less, but then that makes me worry a little about how well I'll be able to hold onto that (also much smaller) grip in a sweaty or fast-developing situation. (With the Max Tuck, there is an added complication: because I opted not to get the combat cut, I tend to need to do a little "twitch" after drawing to seat the grip just right in my hand; this makes me especially nervous about losing control of it with the Boot grip. However, I can always solve this problem by making the combat grip cut myself. I do like that, if I'd ordered it this way from White Hat, it would not have cost extra.)

I have yet to try shooting with the Boot grip; I'll update after my next range trip.

The Boot grip also disappears much better with a pocket holster, I find. The end of the Tamer grip is longer and blockier than the Boot grip, so the Boot grip is a big improvement in that department. Still, I cannot emphasize enough: the Boot grip is hard, slick plastic, like, say, a remote control. It does have strips of sticky rubber on the back and front, but the overall texture is very different from the Tamer.

LCR .357
    Had this about a year now, and I love it. Nice weight, great shooter, even with—yes, even with .357 rounds. Seriously. Based on other threads I have read, people will respond to this observation with comments like "ouch." This is how you can identify someone who has never shot .357s through an LCR. I'm not saying I would want to do it all day, but it bears no relation to other "lightweight" .357 snubbies.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Max Tuck
    I have been using my new Max Tuck with LCR .357 at 4 o'clock for about a week and am impressed. Seems very well made and comes close to vanishing, even under a t-shirt—unless I bend over. Bending over drags the shirt up a little and creates an opening between the end of the grip and my back, and the shirt tends to get grabbed by this as I straighten. (I know, I know, never bend over, but, I have a two-year old.) I find that, the higher I wear the rig, the less this "catching" happens.

A caution: the "Chicago style" screws (for the Kydex and the belt clips) aren't kept from loosening by anything other than tension against a rubber washer, so make sure you tighten them up and double check them periodically. I guess that is one advantage of the Crossbreed style that bite into the leather.

The only other IWB rig I've ever used was a Don Hume clip-on, so I can't compare the Max Tuck to anything similar (the Max Tuck definitely beats the DH, though, which sometimes seemed to want to come along with the gun when I drew and once worked itself loose from the belt on its own ). The finish on the Max Tuck's horsehide has already taken quite a beating from holstering/drawing, but I assume that's par for the course.

I got good customer service from the company as well.

Boot Grip
    The "catching" I mentioned above (i.e., of shirt on grip, when I bent over) seemed to be exacerbated by the stickiness of the Hogue Tamer, which was one reason I was excited to try my new Hogue Boot grip when UPS rang the doorbell yesterday. The slick, hard plastic of the Boot grip definitely grabs my shirt a little less, but then that makes me worry a little about how well I'll be able to hold onto that (also much smaller) grip in a sweaty or fast-developing situation. (With the Max Tuck, there is an added complication: because I opted not to get the combat cut, I tend to need to do a little "twitch" after drawing to seat the grip just right in my hand; this makes me especially nervous about losing control of it with the Boot grip. However, I can always solve this problem by making the combat grip cut myself. I do like that, if I'd ordered it this way from White Hat, it would not have cost extra.)

I have yet to try shooting with the Boot grip; I'll update after my next range trip.

The Boot grip also disappears much better with a pocket holster, I find. The end of the Tamer grip is longer and blockier than the Boot grip, so the Boot grip is a big improvement in that department. Still, I cannot emphasize enough: the Boot grip is hard, slick plastic, like, say, a remote control. It does have strips of sticky rubber on the back and front, but the overall texture is very different from the Tamer.

LCR .357
    Had this about a year now, and I love it. Nice weight, great shooter, even with—yes, even with .357 rounds. Seriously. Based on other threads I have read, people will respond to this observation with comments like "ouch." This is how you can identify someone who has never shot .357s through an LCR. I'm not saying I would want to do it all day, but it bears no relation to other "lightweight" .357 snubbies.
    I tested the boot grip and have no issues with .357 magnum rounds. You shouldn't have any issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    ... This is how you can identify someone who has never shot .357s through an LCR. I'm not saying I would want to do it all day, but it bears no relation to other "lightweight" .357 snubbies.
    Trouble is, having shot .357 Mag from a light weight frame, I never want to do it again. Also, even when using the special powder SD rounds, you loose a lot out of such a small barrel that the difference between .38+P andf .357 Mag from a snub does not make up for the 2nd shot follow-up.

This is the first I've ever heard that the LCR is that much better on recoil then other lightweights. If I ever get a chance to shoot one with .357 mag, it is something to consider, but not something I would ever buy without testing for myself. .357 mags are fine out of most frames, but I never want to shoot a .357 mag fron a lightweight snub like a scandium revolver again.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

Quote Originally Posted by Thanis View Post
    Also, even when using the special powder SD rounds, you loose a lot out of such a small barrel that the difference between .38+P andf .357 Mag from a snub does not make up for the 2nd shot follow-up.
    Indeed. I carry .38+p, and mainly bought the .357 for the added weight against even that recoil. But I enjoy letting off a handful of .357 rounds every range trip, too.

Today I tried the Boot Grips at the range. Didn't have room in the budget for a "just for fun" box of .357s today, but I didn't even remember I was supposed to be "testing" a new grip until after I was done, so I guess the test went pretty well. Handling and practicing drawing the LCR with the Boot Grips over the last week or so, I have gotten quite used to the new feel. Definitely glad I got these and would need a good reason to go back to the Tamer.

You might try a drop of lock tite on the screws when you have them set.

VIP Member
    Pictures would be great, I have the LCR in .38.

Links